Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
noobie selecting USE flags... assistance?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodansmif
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: noobie selecting USE flags... assistance? Reply with quote

I'm up to the point in the installation process where I'm supposed to select USE flags for my system... the problem being that this is my first Linux install, and I have no idea what packages I plan to use, or what USE flags are necessary for those packages. I've read the USE flags section in the "Working With Gentoo" handbook thingy, but it's aimed a bit over my head.

I'm going to post my specs and the intended uses of the machine... I would greatly appreciate any guidance that can be given here. Otherwise, I'm probably going to just go with the default set, even though I know I should optimize given my older equipment. Thanks!

Specs:
Pentium II 233, 96 MB RAM
IDE CD-ROM (no burner)
3 GB IDE Harddisk
S3 Virge 375 video card (PCI)
Ensoniq Wavetable Sound (PCI)
Generic Ethernet (PCI)

Intended Uses:
listening to cd's, ripping MP3s, listening to mp3s
watching divx movies
word processing/spreadsheet (need pdf reader too)
IMAP email client
AIM, IRC
web browsing (Firefox)
bittorrent
FTP server
Samba host (for printer)

PS - Sorry to repeat my earlier question in the Desktop forum, that merely concerned package choice, here I'm only concerned with relevant USE flags.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be difficult to gauge what support you want or don't want. If you're new to all of this, I would first browse the list of all available USE flags:

http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml

In your case, I would add these, just for starters. You might see some that you like that aren't in this list, so please make your own decisions:

samba
oscar (for AIM support)
mozilla
X
cups (for printing)

Since your HD space is limited, I would suggest you pick either kde or gnome, but not both, or even better: neither. I don't use either, so I don't know which one you like. I do use some KDE apps, and some Gnome apps. You'll have to scour the web to determine which one you want, if you want either. They may be too much of a space hog, hence my recommendation to go with a more lightweight window manager. I am partial to fluxbox.

Okay, enough rambling...
jodansmif
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point! Yes, i was hoping to avoid both kde and gnome just for size and speed purposes, but if I absolutely need one or the other that's fine. After reading this guide (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=132201) it sounds like XFCE4 is right up my alley. So I guess that means I need some GNOME USE tags after all?

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations on tags to add... are there any in the default set that I most likely won't need? I appreciate the help, it's a bit overwhelming to be exposed to all this non Microsoftian choice all at once. :)
Birnenpfluecker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need the use flags for the gnome applications. If you want to install a gnome application, you can set the use flag manually by a
USE="*". I think it will be enough if you just use it with USE="gtk", but no gnome as a use flag, cause that will install the gnome basic. I use windowmaker and have neither kde or gnome set as a flag. I use gtk or qt for some applications, who need it for a gui.

In your case I would also use alsa (for sound) and avi as flags
Chiefcooker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: which use flags to use.. Reply with quote

hy.
what useflags should i write in the make.conf file?
my hardware: Notebook amilo d 8830, p4 3,06ghz HT, 1GB Ram, ATI Radeon mobility 9000, chipset and sound from intel, bluetooth usbstick, dvd&cd burner, pcmcia wlan realtek 8185
the software i want be able to use: X, kde, k3b, a mobilphone sync software with bluetooth or usb, firefox, a video player with gstreamer and all plugins, xmms, openoffice, ftp, samba, acroread, and other useful tools (like gkremml,..)
or is there a simple possibility to find all nEEDED useflags?
thx, mfg chief :wink:
sirdilznik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters:
Code:
USE="-gnome kde qt dvd cdr xmms mozilla usb pcmcia nptl ftp"
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above two posts here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
fkryszon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
emerge --search ufed
Searching...
[ Results for search key : ufed ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  app-portage/ufed
      Latest version available: 0.40-r1
      Latest version installed: 0.40-r1
      Size of files: 19 kB
      Homepage:      http://www.gentoo.org/
      Description:   Gentoo Linux USE flags editor
      License:       GPL-2
atsanquentin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: howto USE flages Reply with quote

I'm a newbie with this being my first that I've attempted at gentoo.
I use Linux as my main Os so I'm aware of gentoo capabilities in general but now that I'm getting my hands dirty I'm in need of a little help. I want to use a light weight window manager, like blackbox, fluxbox or IceWM. Really I haven't decided but when I do what use flags should I set or unset as the case may be. I figure that unsetting KDE and gnome is a start but what about all the other settings.
thank for your responses.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above post here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
pdr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed gentoo quite a number of times now, and here is the methodology I've settled on. Might not be for everyone.

Back in the "bad old days" when I got to that part of the install, I would go through the use descriptions, gentoo-portage.com, et al and spend a few hours trying to figure out what use flags I needed to install all the packages I was sure I wanted. BTW I use fluxbox window manager and do not want (yet) the gnome or kde base bloat...

Now when I get to that part of the install, I set up a very minimal set of use flags - basically just for things I know off the top of my head that I want enabled or disabled (-kde -gnome for all installations - I use fluxbox - X for desktop, -X for server). That is about it. Takes all of a couple of seconds.

Now whether I am going to do the "emerge world" part of install, or my daily updates, I work like so:

I never directly emerge - I always pretend first (either --pretend or -p option). This will list all the packages that will get emerged AND THEIR USE FLAGS. For my daily updates (after install) I also always do a deep update (-D) and new-use-flags (-N). This is the part that might not be for everyone.

Now before removing the -p (pretend) option and doing the actual emerge/update, I go through every one of the use flags and see if I want it. For me this is where www.gentoo-portage.com can be indispensable (well, somewhat - the USE flag descriptions often tell you little and sometimes you have to intuit if it is a good thing). At the same time I am deciding if I want to globally enable a new (to me) USE flag, or if I only want it enabled for that particular package. If I want it global, I go into /etc/make.conf and add it to USE="..." list. If only for that package I concatenate it to the /etc/portage/package.use file (usually I check first to see if that app is already in package.use - don't want to list the same package on multiple lines).

This is iterative; first I --pretend the emerge and check use flags; if I add any flags to either make.conf or package.use, I run the --pretend again because the flag changes might have pulled in more dependencies and I need to check their flags. When I have gotten to the point of adding no more flags - which is often the case after all my usual packages have been installed - I run the emerge for real.

So after install, my daily update is to 1) emerge --sync to update my portage - uh - repository (whatever), and then iterate through:
2) emerge -upvDN world (update, pretend, verbose Deep New-use)
3) if there are new USE flags I want, update /etc/make.conf or /etc/portage/package.use as necessary and go back to (2) again.
4) if the USE flags are (now) stable then I remove the 'p' option (ie emerge -uvDN world) and run it.
5) of course if config files have changed I then run dispatch-conf to update/zap/merge the new /etc files.

If I am installing a new package it is similar:
1) emerge -pv the-new-package and look over the use flags.
2) if I have to modify /etc/make.conf or /etc/portage/package.use, do so and return to step (1).
3) if (now) happy with the use flags, remove the pretend (ie emerge -v the-new-package) and run it.
4) of course it /etc/ got munged then run dispatch-conf to use/zap/merge.

The reason this might not be for everyone is that the first time you 'emerge -upvDN world' after an install, a LOT of the initial packages will be listed again, because during install the had the 'build' use flag enabled, and now they don't. However this is a one-time hit I'm willing to accept. The other reason is that more often than you might think ebuilds are changed to just add some more USE flags; even if the defaults for them would work perfectly for you, you still end up re-emerging them because the -N (new use) option was enabled. My systems are not that slow, so even if glibc or xorg-server get a new use, I am again willing to re-emerge. And, at least for the packages I use, this still does not occur very often.

The biggest benefit for me is that I no longer spend hours originally setting various USE flags that I actually may not need, or later might not want, or later want to be package-specific. Also because of this it is normal procedure for me to keep my USE flags up-to-date, meaning that I am not building up cruft and/or losing out on new USE features.

Last edited by pdr on Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crooksey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when emerging gnome there is a python program that dosent support most use flags, so when i get that error, i comment out my use flag section, emerge that program, uncoment my useflags and continue to compile.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_USE_Flags

http://gentoo-wiki.com/USE_Flags_explained

Default use flags:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_USE_Flags#Default_USE_flags

... enjoy :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: