hard drive recovery
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acp26b
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: hard drive recovery Reply with quote

My friend brought me his lap top it is a dell inspriron 8100. The problem is with the hard drive, before i put a new one in however he asked me to try and recover a few files off of it. I have booted his laptop with the live cd, fdisk sees the hard drive and the two partitions the one i am trying to get to is hda2 with a NTFS file system. Here are the errors, i got when i tried to mount the drive, is there any hope of getting to the data?

Code:

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda2 /x
hda: task_in_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: task_in_intr: error=0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect=6355716, sector=6355716
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: task_in_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: task_in_intr: error=0x41 { AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect=6355716, sector=6355716

It gave 4 of these errors then reset the ieo0 then 4 more of same errors before fail

Thanks
-Adam
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh oh, looks like your drive is failing.

perhaps all hope is not lost, though. first you should try disabling dma and, if you still have problems, you'll have to look into low-level data recovery. keep in mind professional techs i know tell me just about any breaking drive is recoverable but you may need to pound on it (literally) freeze it or even replace the controller pcb, or it could just take longer to recover than you'll be alive.
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a user with a similar problem. Freezing the drive helped (yes, as in 'put it in your freezer for an hour or so'), and keeping an ice pack under the laptop while I pulled the data off gave me longer periods to work with. dd and ddrescue were more effective than trying to mount and copy the volume. I definitely recommend them, especially ddrescue.

Try to do it in as few passes, and as quickly, as possible - I tried too many times, and the drive finally quit completely. This is where one of the major advantages of dd and ddrescue comes in. As long as you note how far (in blocks) the backup got on its last attempt, you can resume at the same point later by passing a couple of parameters on the command line. When this is all complete, you will have an image of the hard drive that you can mount with a loop device for copying data.

HTH
You see, instead of arguing from ignorance, and fear, there is only one way to verify a theory. And that's not by clutching a black book and begging the sky fairy for deliverance from the mad scientists and their big machines.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: