Java when it is GPL
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubancigar11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Java when it is GPL Reply with quote

Hi!

First of all, I am out of touch with a Gentoo system connected to internet for more than 6 months. Still wanted to ask this question:
Since Java source is GPLed, and it was open from a long time anyway, is it possible to have an ebuild which will compile java?
zwik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably it can. A long time ago I believe Gentoo was able to compile versions of Blackdown too.
Scratalacha
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am reading properly, the actual code for Java coming out as GPL wont be until early 2007. ( https://openjdk.dev.java.net/ ) Also, I believe that the blackdown flavor of Java does not contain the source code, it is only optimized for linux by their team.
kill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratalacha wrote:
If I am reading properly, the actual code for Java coming out as GPL wont be until early 2007.

You are absolutely right. The javac compiler and the hotspot vm code were released under the GPL but the actual Java framework won't be until first or second quarter 2007. Sun still has to remove all the bits they don't own before they can release the libs.
bradbeglin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that it probably could happen now. I have been watching the GCJ for a while now and it is mature enought to even compile Eclipse to binary and runs with no problems (that was as of the spring). Plus the GNU Classpath, which provides the libraries that are lacking in open source (at least till the spring) is close to being deemed java1.5 compatible. There were rumors that soon after Sun open sourced the javac compiler that some people were using it to compile java with the GNU classpath, but as far as I know, that has only been something that developers have tinkered with. But, ya by next summer I am really looking forward to Java being totally open and in portage (open java that is, I know that there is Java in portage now :)). Plus, Sun is supposed to open up Java Me, which will be really nice as well.
cubancigar11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... so I guess, it is possible to expect it by February... I really want to have Java as something which can be downloaded and compiled just as other packages in portage... :) Gentoo devs listening? Any comments?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: