Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Goddamn GTK+ Installer wiped my partitions!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spadearcher
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By your recent silence I am assuming you've all -- quite understandably -- fallen by the wayside in this matter of my trying to resurrect Gnome. However, through my subsequent attempts to provide myself with a Gnome substitute (i.e., fvwm, fvwm-crystal, and fluxbox) I apparently emerged some necessary file(s) which enabled me finally to successfully re-emerge Gnome-screensaver, and lo-and-behold, my Gnome is back functioning like its old self!

However, I'm now tantalized by the intellectual challenge of proceeding to configure those other WM's -- and I may have a further go at it. I've so far failed miserably to successfully compile fluxbox using the Gentoo HOWTO on the subject. My initial efforts at fvwm have proved promising. I think I've almost successfully installed all the necessary components for a fvwm-crystal installation, but then I can't find any useful "HOWTO" type instructions for getting fvwm-crystal working after it's there on my hard drive. Oh, well, all this is for another day -- and a different thread!

Anyway, many thanks to all of you for your efforts in my behalf over the past weeks. I shall miss you all. Happy New Year. Regards, Jim
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spadearcher,

We never give up ... you always need to allow 24 hours for the world to see you post because there are 24 timezones. If you are on the Pacific coast of the USA, you are eight timezones away from me.
Sometimes 'real life' demands some time too, so don't be too disappointed with a three day response time.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
spadearcher
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy: Point well taken. From your latitude and longitude, I would hazard a guess that you're not too far from my old Edinburgh stomping ground (or maybe Glasgow?) Many, many years ago I was a university student there, which I revisited many times subsequently when serving with our Embassy in London, where my daughter and granddaughter currently still reside. Oh, the memories -- and the cold!

Working with Gentoo sure broadens one's Linux knowledge and perspectives. Frustration -- but not boredom -- are the trade-offs. I'm assuming it's all making me a "better person" -- although my wife, the veteran programmer/analyst, may disagree.
Y Man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the problem that started this thread i created a new one because this one does not really talk about the problem at hand.

The gtk installer that resizes your partitions on install.

Please follow this link to the new thread
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-527774.html

Greetz,
Y Man
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I missed the updates on this thread....

So spadearcher, what's your status? All is well? Have you any other problems we were meant to be considering?

I'm with you 100%; you are a good post recipient becasue you listen and read the whole post before responding ; )
spadearcher
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik: Everything for now seems to be all right. Gnome is working again, and I am currently in the not-unpleasant throes of working with FVWM (with themes). (I'm gving up for present with Fluxbox and FVWM-crystal, neither of which have I had any success in compiling). Best wishes for the New Year, and many thanks once again for your assistance and concern. Jim
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: