I'm unable to get alsa working following alsa guide [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hanoc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: I'm unable to get alsa working following alsa guide [solved] Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
(as seen with dmesg) and I'm trying to get it to play some sound.

I'm following the alsa guide so, once detected the driver I need (via82xx) I compiled in as a module in the kernel and run alsaconf

After detecting my soundcard and selecting it the process continues and exits de "blue screen" and then there is a lot of text scrolling down.
This text:
Code:

Running modules-update...
Loading driver...
 * Loading ALSA modules ...
 *   Loading: snd-card-0 ...
WARNING: Error inserting snd (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/alsa-driver/acore/snd.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting snd_seq_device (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/alsa-driver/acore/seq/snd-seq-device.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_rawmidi (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/alsa-driver/acore/snd-rawmidi.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_mpu401_uart (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/alsa-driver/drivers/mpu401/snd-mpu401-uart.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_timer (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/alsa-driver/acore/snd-timer.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_pcm (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/alsa-driver/acore/snd-pcm.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_ac97_codec (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/alsa-driver/pci/ac97/snd-ac97-codec.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting snd_via82xx (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/alsa-driver/pci/snd-via82xx.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see   [ !! ]
 *   Loading: snd-seq ...
WARNING: Error inserting snd (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/alsa-driver/acore/snd.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting snd_timer (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/alsa-driver/acore/snd-timer.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting snd_seq (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/alsa-driver/acore/seq/snd-seq.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dm  [ !! ]
 * ERROR: Failed to load necessary drivers                                                                                                               [ ok ]
 * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
 * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!                                                                                   [ ok ]
Setting default volumes...
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device
Saving the mixer setup used for this in /etc/asound.state.
/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1254: No soundcards found...

Finally the screen is cleaned and the usual "all is ok" notice appears
Code:
====
 Now ALSA is ready to use.
 For adjustment of volumes, use your favorite mixer.

Have a lot of fun!

Unfortunately if I run alsamixer I get this:
Code:
alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

Of course I don't have snd_ctl_open it failed just before.

I've also tried to build the drivers in the kernel, instead of building them as a modules and the output is the same.

My conf file can be found here.

lsmod returns:
Code:
Module                  Size  Used by
snd_ac97_bus            6656  0
snd_page_alloc         12432  0
fglrx                 465012  8

but right now I have the sound modules built in in the kernel, so I think this doesn't matter.

my kernel is 2.6.17-gentoo-r8 and the architecture is AMD64.

If there's any information that can help i'll be happy to provide it.

I'm sure I'm missing some silly point... or forgetting to do something basic... but I can't see what. I've searched for errors like mine but I wasn't able to found anything that answered my question...
If anyone can lend me a hand I'll be very grateful.

Thanks!

Last edited by Hanoc on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this for /etc/modules.d/alsa
Code:
alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx

alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

options snd cards_limit=1

then make sure that /etc/make.conf includes
Code:

ALSA_CARDS="via82xx"

rebuild alsa-utils and confirm that your kernel has
Quote:
~ # cat /usr/src/linux/.config|grep CONFIG_SND_VIA82XX
CONFIG_SND_VIA82XX=m
Hanoc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thanks for your answer dcoats I followed your recomendations but I still cant make it work.

I recompiled my kernel with the drivers for the soundcard as modules.

Now my config is this:

/etc/modules.d/alsa
Code:
alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.13 ---
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

my make.conf file has ALSA_CARDS="via82xx"

and cat /usr/src/linux/.config|grep CONFIG_SND_VIA82XX returns:
CONFIG_SND_VIA82XX=m
# CONFIG_SND_VIA82XX_MODEM is not set

I reemerged alsa-utils

The odd thing is that now, when I run alsaconf I get this:
www.telmun.net/screenshot.jpg

I get the same errors than before trying to configure any of the "two" cards.

I'm stuck there :\
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alsaconf is not always correct, It creates/writes /etc/modules.d/alsa so try the /etc/modules.d/alsa i pasted you and rc-update add alsasound default then reboot see if everything finds itself correct...
Hanoc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the /etc/modules.d/alsa I pasted is the modified version, by default alsaconf created just this:

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.13 ---
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

after running alsacfg i added the lines that you suggested and tried again, it didn't work :\
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does alsasound start?
/etc/init.d/alsasound restart
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to http://www.telmun.net/config you have them built into the kernel and not as modules......
CONFIG_SND_VIA82XX=y
CONFIG_SND_MPU401_UART=y
CONFIG_SND_AC97_CODEC=y
CONFIG_SND_AC97_BUS=y
CONFIG_SND=y
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM=y
CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQ_DUMMY=y
CONFIG_SOUND=y

try them as m
Hanoc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that was the configuration prior to recompiling them as modules
EDIT: I've just actualized the file (www.telmun.net/config) to the current one.

if I try to restart alsa that's what i get.
Code:

# /etc/init.d/alsasound restart

* Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...
/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1254: No soundcards found...                                                                                               [ !! ]
 * Unloading ALSA ...                                                                                                                                    [ ok ]
 * Unloading ALSA modules ...                                                                                                                            [ ok ]
 * Loading ALSA modules ...
 *   Loading: snd-card-0 ...
WARNING: Error inserting soundcore (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting snd (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/kernel/sound/core/snd.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting snd_ac97_codec (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/alsa-driver/pci/ac97/snd-ac97-codec.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting snd_via82xx (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/alsa-driver/pci/snd-via82xx.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see   [ !! ]
WARNING: Error inserting soundcore (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting snd (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/kernel/sound/core/snd.ko): Invalid module format
FATAL: Error inserting snd_seq (/lib/modules/2.6.17-gentoo-r8/alsa-driver/acore/seq/snd-seq.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dm  [ !! ]
 * ERROR: Failed to load necessary drivers                                                                                                               [ ok ]
 * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
 * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!         

And alsa gets started but whenever I try to play any sound it pops out errors.

Edit:
this seems strange to me also:
Code:
# modprobe via82xx
FATAL: Module via82xx not found.

Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
rm -rf /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/alsa-driver

This is all in the gentoo alsa guide...
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

"The above issue is caused when you switch from alsa-driver to in-kernel ALSA because when you unmerge alsa-driver the module files are config protected and hence get left behind. So, when you switch to in-kernel drivers, running modprobe gives you a mix of alsa-driver and in-kernel modules thus causing the above errors."
Hanoc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG.
It's working.
I'm sorry.... I never reached the section "problems and issues".
Now I feel bad for wasting your time!

Sorry.... And a ton of thanks... I'm putting the solved in the first message and learning to read all of the guides.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: