help recovering from a reiser fsck nightmare [maybe solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: help recovering from a reiser fsck nightmare [maybe solved] Reply with quote

Hi all,

Today my reiserfs (not reiser4) partition journal became corrupted. I think it happened while my laptop was suspending and power must have cut out while updating the journal... either way it doens't matter because the journal was corrupt.

So anyways, I booted off the gentoo livecd and ran:
Code:
fsck.reiserfs --check /dev/hda3
on my root partition, which said I needed to rebuild my tree, so I ran
Code:
fsck.reiserfs --scan-whole-partition --rebuild-tree /dev/hda3

That took a LONG tme to run, even though only 1 error was reported when running --check.

Anyways, my problem... After I ran all this, there are a TON of files in lost+found. Each file is just a series of numbers, and the files have various contents (some are text some are binaries). Also, the system doesn't boot now (it did before running the fsck, but just would get a bunch of errors and not start X and stuff).

So, how do I recover from this? I did backup the drive as a tar (after the disk was corrupt, but before running fsck). Is is possible to restore the fiels is lost+found via a command, or is the system dead in the water? Do you think it is possible to copy the tar over to a new reiser partiton and have the system work (even though I copied it post corruption)?

I'm kinda stuck with this one, never had this problem before.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think I may have solved this one. I spent all day trying to fix the corruptions on the drive and fill in missing files, which was going no where. Before I ran fsck I made a tar backup of the entire drive, and I'm sure happy I did. I decided to just unpack the tarball over the partition and this seemed to ahve solved all my problems. Right now I am running an emerge -e system and an emerge -e world, jsut to ensure allt he packages are correct and not missing files. Luckly I don't think I lost any data in my home dir.

BTW - looking up info on google the olny suggested method of restoring files in lost+found is to do so manually, but in my case there was 21 gigs of files in there, so this was obviously not feasible.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: