Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
modem install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: modem install Reply with quote

:D

Hello,

I'm on holiday this week, and I have an old 1.4Ghz AMD Thunderbird CPU with 256Mb of DDR Ram and a 30Gb 7200 rpm hard drive. All in a nice coolermaster case just begging for Gentoo!

I'm downloading the the 100+Gb Gentoo ISO image as I post this. I only have a modem at home, so my connection is a bit slow. Which leads to my question:

Can I install over a dial-up modem connection? I know it will be painfully slow, but I have all week! Has anyone done this?

Thanks,
Brad
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Jeremy's post under the WVDialer heading....

Cheers
Dale.
thinker5555
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: modem install Reply with quote

brad wrote:

Hello,

<snip>

I'm downloading the the 100+Gb Gentoo ISO image as I post this. I only have a modem at home, so my connection is a bit slow. Which leads to my question:

Can I install over a dial-up modem connection? I know it will be painfully slow, but I have all week! Has anyone done this?

Thanks,
Brad

Yup, it can definitely be done. :) In fact, it can be done with the 16MB ISO image. The only thing you'll need to do is boot up into your regular linux distro (or if you have a rescue disk of some sort that will allow you to dial out, possibly something like demolinux?), get your connection going, and then just pick up from the "chroot /mnt/gentoo" part in the installation manual. Gentoo will find this seamlessly use this connection, and everything else is done just like a normal install. This will also allow you to use your system for things as you normally would (except having your net connection full) so that your install time can still be productive/fun/not-boring. :)

HTH,
Jeremy
Brad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Great!! Reply with quote

Your advice worked great!!!

I did a RH7.3 minimu install, then set up networking, and then started the Gentoo install. This is slow, but it works, I can even stop the install between stages by unmounting everything and come nack to it when I fell like it. My athlon chews up the compiles pretty fast, but getting the downlaods is painfully slow.

Thanks for the advice! :D
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to download and disconnect, your best bet would be to emerge --fetchonly (-f) packagename. This is also advantageous if you can bring your computer to a place that does have a fast connection, even temporarily, so you can download (say) XFree 4.2.0, KDE 3, and GNOME 2 -- then just unplug and let your computer crunch it all back home.

Or, you can see any of the other numerous threads about burning CDs with the contents of the distfiles/ directory if you know someone that owes you a favor and has access to a high speed line. :D
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta407 wrote:
Or, you can see any of the other numerous threads about burning CDs with the contents of the distfiles/ directory if you know someone that owes you a favor and has access to a high speed line. :D

And you could try this and help me find out if it really works... :)
Brad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:13 am    Post subject: modem install Reply with quote

emerge system took 5 hours 12 minutes and 48 seconds through my 56K dial-up 8O
thinker5555
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. Mine took a bit longer because my ISP has gotten a little, uh, unreliable... :( Thank goodness for programs that can resume downloads...
gigaboom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just starting to check out Gentoo- I'm not sure I'm ready for this distro. I've been a programmer for 15 years, but not that flavor of programmer... and I do need to get work done at some point, not just work on the OS itself.

Anyway, from a broad base of ignorance- this seems like a pretty major hurdle to acceptance. Two-thirds or more of us are stuck behind dial-ups, that's just in the US, and that doesn't mean we're technically illiterate.. but installing over a dial-up isn't even covered in the docs.

It doesn't seem like this would even be difficult to fix. It's not like there isn't room on the .ISOs for a few utilities, wvdial and ppp and whatever, and some changes to the install directions. Instead, the message seems to be that if you're on a dial -up, they just don't care.

It's even more of a shame, since Gentoo is stripped down to essentials, and you only install what you need- which seems like the ideal approach for those on dial-ups, as opposed to those distros going to several ISOs full of stuff that many users will never touch.

Not many potential users are going to look as far for the info as I did.
LibraMark
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all!

Actually, gigaboom, did you checkout the forum: Development -> Documentation section? I wrote up a guide there for installing from stage 3 over a modem, based on my experiences. It may be helpful, anyway it seems many are looking at it anyway?

For non-i686x systems, it seems that the above posts should help.

It seems this distribution was originally made for ethernet instllation as it depended on so many downloads. It's true that perhaps they could easily modify the install to allow for modem installation. (I don't have the expertise or else I would try it.) But I don't think it's anything the developers did (ignoring dialup users) on purpose. Perhaps if many asked 'nicely' it could get done very soon.

In the end though, remember this is a free, volunteer, effort-with not many income sources for full-time employees like Redhat, Mandrake, etc. all have.

Maybe someone could make an install guide for installing via this networking from another distro method? Maybe there is a really small utility linux download (debian net install?) that could start it off, then some network setup hints, and references to the gentoo install guide? Just write up something, post it on the 'null forum and let the developers know it's there. Could be a good start eh!

Cheers!

Mark.
gigaboom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LibraMark,

Thanks for the pointer to the document, will check it out.

Didn't mean to sound overly critical- it just seems a very odd omission. The solutions I've seen proposed seem to depend on having another Linux kernel loaded and connected first. Ok, I can do that, but does it seem faintly ridiculous to anyone else? I wouldn't think that getting networking working over a dial-up would be much harder than getting it working over ethernet during the install.

I have a lot more reading to do before I make the decision whether to try Gentoo, though.
Brad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: I'm up and running Reply with quote

:lol:

I'm up and running! And I must say, gentoo is way cool! Now I just need to get X and all that stuff loaded. Thanks to all for the tips. The modem install was easier than I thought it would be.

Brad
thinker5555
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who's interested, I posted a Tips-n-Tricks topic on this. As with LibraMark, I went by my experiences, and put what worked for me. Feel free to give me any comments, suggestions, or ask any questions. :)

Jeremy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: