goodbye gentoo...I don't think so..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gm7uac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: goodbye gentoo...I don't think so.. Reply with quote

Well I thought I would be saying goodbye to gentoo, this week my main PC suffered a harddrive failure javascript:emoticon(%27%3A(%27)

being a hardware engineer all my data was backed up on a secondary hard drive :-) well I was left with the choice of re-installing gentoo or try something different... so I started with SUSE enterprise edition 10, installed fine, looks nice but runs like a three legged dog and none of the applications I use are installed, plus you have to sign in blood that you agree with all there terms and conditions !! don't think so!
So I thought I would try netbsd livecd... it works but it's like going back in time 5 years :-)
So I downloaded slackware 11... my first linux love.. oh boy same old girl still using RH 5 installer and a 2.4 kernel..am I in a timewarp!

Looks like gentoo for me just downloading the livecd i686 install cd... looking forward to broken ebuilds, blocked applications and plenty of choice... bugger!
wudmx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, you see, you live on the edge with gentoo! have fun with it!!! :wink:
danja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, same experience here, but with xubuntu.
there everything is working and hell lot of programs installed, but i felt really helpless when i needed to fuse mount (as non-root user), recompile the kernel and other small but very needed tasks.
perhaps it's also that we are just used to gentoo and by now distros are going further and further away from each other, so every innovation/bug/feature puts us in a situation where we intuitively stick back to the HOLY COW.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: goodbye gentoo...I don't think so.. Reply with quote

gm7uac wrote:

So I thought I would try netbsd livecd... it works but it's like going back in time 5 years :-)
So I downloaded slackware 11... my first linux love.. oh boy same old girl still using RH 5 installer and a 2.4 kernel..am I in a timewarp!

If you wanted more hardware support you should have tried FreeBSD.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
Zmyrgel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arch linux would be a nice too :)

It needs a bit maturation still but the basics are very promising. i686-optimized, small base install, great package management and packages etc...
danja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was always wondering why distro-developers are not going minimalist way and why are there so many forks of the same concepts that (forks) differ too much already.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: