Install hangs during disk access.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcanum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Install hangs during disk access. Reply with quote

I'm trying to do a stage 1 install of Gentoo 1.4r4 on my system. It's an upgraded Dell system w/ a PIII-850, 512MB of SDRAM, a Western Digital UDMA66 13.8 GB hard drive on a Highpoint UDMA100 controller card (currently using the generic controller drivers on the CD-ROM, not Highpoint-specific drivers), nVidia Geforce2 MX400, and Sound Blaster Live!.

Basically, at random points during hard disk accesses, the process doing the access will just freeze for no apparent reason. At which point, any process which attempts to access that drive (even something as simple as Tab autocompletion) will also lock up. The problem was improved somewhat by forcing the drive into UDMA66 mode instead of the normal PIO or DMA mode, but it still locks up eventually.

I've tried moving the drive to different locations on the drive chain, I've tried using a Gentoo 1.2 CD (locked up even sooner), I've tested my memory (it's good). When installing, the only two drives hooked up on the system are the DVD-ROM drive as the primary master on the motherboard's drive controller, and the install target as primary or secondry master on the Highpoint controller.

Windows 2000, which is on another drive (which I disconnect to solve another problem), has no problem. Is my hard drive dying (it hasn't been used in close to a year)? Any suggestions?
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did u already try to check the disk with a tool from WD - i think there is one to check integrity...
Arcanum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake: It's a Maxtor drive, not a WD. I downloaded the Maxtor utilities and checked the disk.

How's this for weird: The drive shows as fine on the built in motherboard hard drive controller, but the diagnostic program locks up hard when the drive is on the add-in card. I'm going to try compiling Gentoo with the drive on the motherboard controller, then moving it to the Highpoint controller. Maybe that will work.
inglewood
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try forcing the drive into a slower DMA mode, something like hdparm -X66. UDMA 33 or 66 should work fine, as the drive doesn't really do better than 20 MB/s anyways. Sometimes the 100 MB/s controllers don't work properly with the older drives unless they are told what they are hooked up to.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: