View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svenk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Howto use ttys and framebuffer@X11? Reply with quote

Hi,

since I'm using framebuffer for my X11R7 display, it runs quite smooth (really fast compared to the bulky modular X.org mesa driver). I'm not the guy who's tuning his boot process for looking eye candy, but I'm only interested in having a dozen of ttys (Linux consoles, [STRG]+[ALT]+[F 1-12]) working. Now after a "modprobe matroxfb_base", X will start correctly, but with the following limitations:

• All TTYs are destroyed and display only weird character patterns.
  • results: If you switch to a tty and back, your X cursor is destroyed (replaced by a about 120x120px black box), the tty acts causally and looks like it wants to, etc.

In fact, I need a program or a kernel module which runs framebuffer consoles. Neither I could find anything equivalent in the linux kernel nor in any forums, google, .... That's *very* strange because all the simple Live Linux Systems are able to run very normal Framebuffer consoles (for example knoppix).

If you've got any advise, please post it :-)

Sven
people said there would be nothing else other than gentoo. I agreed, looking through my window. For many years, I've seen nothing. After smashing the window, my brain got free. Yeah, nowadays I live windowless.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u using framebuffer for consoles too right?

i have had problems with this myself. my solution was to turn off fb support for tty's or for X. both seemed to work ok, but you might consider using Accellerated X rendering if your video card is supported (almost certainly it is)

what video card do u have?
svenk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
u using framebuffer for consoles too right?

That was the reason for this thread: I was looking for "framebuffer for consoles". Now I've found the linux kernel module fbcon which actually *does* what I wanted.

I would really prefer DRI, but it doesn't want to work. I've got a Matrox MGA 400, and the matrox framebuffer driver (matroxfb) works quite well. Of course, there's no more hardware accelerated 3d, but that's not important for me (at the moment) -- at least I only want a working X.

Sven
people said there would be nothing else other than gentoo. I agreed, looking through my window. For many years, I've seen nothing. After smashing the window, my brain got free. Yeah, nowadays I live windowless.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a really nice 2d card. i am envious ; )

i'm glad you got the framebuffer console working.
this sourceforge doc suggests matrox has some good support for harware accelleration if you want to use it. i'm sure framebuffer is fast enough ;) but it might be nice to offload a little of that CPU work. [/bug]
svenk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erik258 wrote:
that's a really nice 2d card. i am envious ; )
i'm glad you got the framebuffer console working.

You are envious of my graphics card? That's amazing, I don't know any person who would build that old AGP double head 16mb SDRAM card into it's computer. Ok, for my circumstances it has enough 3D power to play simple games... - why do you call it a "2d card"?

By the way, it was *really* simple to set up the framebuffer for the matrox mga - Linux kernel config:

Code:

Device Drivers -->
   Graphics Support -->
        [*] Enable firmware EDID
        <M> Support for frame buffer devices
        <M> Matrox acceleration
             [*]   G100/G200/G400/G450/G550 support
       Console display driver support  --->
            <M> Framebuffer Console support

Now loading matroxfb_base and fbcon makes Matrox Framebuffer work. The corresponding X configuration:

Code:

# no DRI extension needed
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "MGA"
    Driver      "mga"
    VendorName  "Matrox Graphics, Inc."
    BoardName   "MGA G450 AGP"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option      "HWcursor"       "True"
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    Option "OldDmaInit" "True"
EndSection

UseFBDev makes the mga driver use the Linux framebuffer. I think using the X.org fbdev video driver should have the same effect.

Quote:
this sourceforge doc suggests matrox has some good support for harware accelleration if you want to use it. i'm sure framebuffer is fast enough ;) but it might be nice to offload a little of that CPU work.

As already said I *really* would like to have the MGA driver work with DRI, but it bugs (with X11R7 and x11-drivers/xf86-video-mga-1.4.5). With the same option as above, but with the DRI extension and without the "UseFBDev" option, X will start without any error but very nice DRI and really nice 3D hardware accleration, but it won't set up the monitor horizontal refresh rate correctly at 1280x1024bit (strangely enough it's working fine with 1024x768).

Sven
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: