View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Collypso
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: EVE Online Reply with quote

Anyone play it?

or interested in it?
Crooksey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played it, but had to stop before my exams, otherwise i would have failed, no doubt :P

I havent picked it up since, great game though.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played it at one point. then some corporation politics happened, where someone stole all my corporation members, so i quit.

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
Jimmers
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a shot but left. I just had too much going on and too little money to justify such a habit.
fl_QuelTos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it for about 2 months now, but canceled subscription as it takes far too much time to _really_ play it. Maybe i'll get back to it when the linux-client is released :)

Great game imo.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fl_QuelTos wrote:
Tried it for about 2 months now, but canceled subscription as it takes far too much time to _really_ play it. Maybe i'll get back to it when the linux-client is released :)

Great game imo.

Quote:
Fannar also revealed that the company is actively developing Linux support for EVE Online.

That would be Transgaming I believe.

edit: holy jeez, i never did see the "expansion" (revelations)... looks kinda cool. :lol:

MM23
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played it for about a year. Sucked so hard at it because I didn't have time to play it 24/7 like some of the crazies do so I didn't resubscribe. Brilliant idea -- could use some better execution, though.

I have to admit, flying a T2-fitted megathron through the dirges of 0.0 space pwnmobiling the crap out of HACs is pretty fun.
vibrokatana
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently running a t2 fitted drake bc, the game is fun as heck when you get in groups and do some hunting. I could make 10-20 mil a week playing just a few hours a day, but I like the 10-30 mil a day better :P Once I move permanantly to lowsec it will be even more profitable.
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fl_QuelTos wrote:

Great game imo.

if you are talking about:
Quote:
Fannar also revealed that the company is actively developing Linux support for EVE Online. He also strongly hinted - to the point where he basically confirmed - that an Apple client was also in the works.

this doesn't mean in any way, that there's a linux client in the build. more like, they are working together with transgaming, as some gaming companies (like blizzard) do. though i'd like to be proven wrong here.

-- John Sheridan - Babylon 5, Season 4
MM23
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vibrokatana wrote:
Currently running a t2 fitted drake bc, the game is fun as heck when you get in groups and do some hunting. I could make 10-20 mil a week playing just a few hours a day, but I like the 10-30 mil a day better :P Once I move permanantly to lowsec it will be even more profitable.

lol, caldari
Rad
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I play it, also under Linux at times. Eve works with regular wine, though the framerate hit while not in station is quite heavy. Instructions and patches here.
CCP also reported that the last patch fixed Eve for Cedega, but I'd not know whether that's true or not.

Technical things aside, I had the luck to get into a very good corp, so it's still fun playing even after two years..
vputz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol--I haven't left my noob corporation actually; been there about four months. I'm an EXTREMELY casual player (literally haven't done anything for about 3 weeks but log in to change skills).

Eve is both great and terrible for casual players--terrible because you're not going to see some of the great features of the game (large-scale PVP is apparently just insane but very cool, and without a corporation you're going to miss out on a LOT, and most corps don't take too kindly to the once-a-week-or-less crowd). On the other hand, the ability to train skills offline (skills are based off calendar time in training) means that you can do as I did, spend a couple weeks just periodically logging in to change skills, and wind up with a very powerful character who's just strapped for cash.

It's a good game; I play both it and WoW sporadically (lead raids in WoW on weekends) and they're both good for the casual gamer (yes, I'm spending around $25/month on MMORPGs, but I know folks who blow that much every week on alcohol; my habit is healthier, at least). I'd rate Eve as "a little less 'fun' but much more 'interesting'" than WoW, but of course they both have totally different feels. I really admire some of the design decisions in Eve. It's a great game if you like that sort of thing.
vibrokatana
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With eve you can start pvp almost imediately...with wow you need to grind to 60, now going on 80.

poor narred, jump into the wrong place at the wrong time
sirdilznik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MM23 wrote:

I have to admit, flying a T2-fitted megathron through the dirges of 0.0 space pwnmobiling the crap out of HACs is pretty fun.

Dang, I don't think it would be possible to come up with a sentence that would discourage me more from trying this game than that one. :lol:
ArneHB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing eve online aswell, just been playing for 2 months, but it's very nice..
vanten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I have played it. Great game. I would like to start again, but mixing eve and study just can't go well, not for the studies at least :)
Saint1911
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe looks like theres enough people to start a "Linux Users" Eve corp, I've also been playing for 2 years. 8)
fl_QuelTos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eNTi wrote:
Quote:
Fannar also revealed that the company is actively developing Linux support for EVE Online. He also strongly hinted - to the point where he basically confirmed - that an Apple client was also in the works.

this doesn't mean in any way, that there's a linux client in the build. more like, they are working together with transgaming, as some gaming companies (like blizzard) do. though i'd like to be proven wrong here.

Puh.. if "actively developing Linux support" really means "Cadega".. hrm.. I would feel kinda upset. That would be nothing but a bad joke.
teidon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fl_QuelTos wrote:
eNTi wrote:
Quote:

Puh.. if "actively developing Linux support" really means "Cadega".. hrm.. I would feel kinda upset. That would be nothing but a bad joke.

As EVE Online seems to already work pretty well on Cedega (4 out 5 ranking at Cedega's Game Database), and has been working for quite a while too, I really don't think they mean to work (more closely) together with Transgaming but instead make a proper Linux client. Atleast I certainly hope so.
b1f30
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirdilznik wrote:
MM23 wrote:

Dang, I don't think it would be possible to come up with a sentence that would discourage me more from trying this game than that one. :lol:

Love GWAR.. *sniff*... great avatar dude... lol..

EVE looks great - takes too long to learn and actually play IMHO... I remember doing the n00b trials for like 2 hours before It actually showed me how to fly and what not...
vibrokatana
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tutorial is there for a reason. Youd be surprised how many people skip it and get flamed because they ask a stupid question.

The only people who have issues are those who are used to simple games and expect it to be as such.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint1911 wrote:
Hehe looks like theres enough people to start a "Linux Users" Eve corp, I've also been playing for 2 years. 8)

i thought about it, but we're probably all too far away from each other... now if we were able to claim sov somewhere... :twisted:

ArneHB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the new revelation patch does new characters get about 800 000 skill points to start with, so you get a quite nice head start. Also the requirements for advanced learning skills has been lowered.

Check out http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm?loadFeature=505&page=1&bhcp=1, and the new nominies for this year ;).
Jenk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been playing for almost 3years. Awesome game. :)

Works pretty much flawlessly with Cedega. FPS is a little lower than when using Windows, but that's accepted and is still very reasonable rate.
Ice Paladin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read so many bad news about EVE lately. Hope people stop complaining about it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: