View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fourth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Keyboard only responsivein X after restarting X Reply with quote

I'll admit up fron I am doing a few non standard things, hopefully not way out!

nano /etc/inittab
1:3:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin root tty1

nano /root/.bash_profile
case "`tty`" in
/dev/tty1) clear && startx &>/dev/null;;
esac

Above are the modifications I have made to get X started on boot. This machine is a stand alone HTPC.

In an attempt to solve the issue I copied the Xorg.conf from the Live CD. I guess there is not much point posting it verbatium. The odd things is that if I kill of X then do a startx, X restarts fine and ketboard support is returned. Since this is a HTPC and the keyboard is shove up the back of the cupboard I'm keen to be able to restart the machine without having to dig it out and restart X each reboot.

Any ideas on what would be different between the first boot started as above and a manually started X session?
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not positive, but i think the problem is your crazy way of starting X on boot.

you appear to want to have root autologin on tty1, then each time root logs in if on tty1 you want it to start x.

if you really want an automatic root login on tty1(?) fine but why not use a display manager like xdm, gdm, or kdm, to manage your X display, or at least use /etc/conf.d/local.start to startx for you on boot. im not much of a bash scripter but i don't trust ...
Code:

case "`tty`" in
/dev/tty1) clear && startx &>/dev/null;;
esac

to do it's job.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: