[solved]many small problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hadriel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: [solved]many small problems Reply with quote

hello...just did a stage1 installation, and i never had so many problems afterwards.
kernel is 2.6.18-gentoo, gcc 4.1.1

1) i always get "clock skew detected" when building the kernel or whatever. i set /etc/conf.d/clock to "local", copied the correct localtime file to /etc (its berlin for me), and set the date according to the current time. clock skews remain after rebooting. even CLOCK_SYSTOHC="yes" wont work.

2) i cant seem to get ipw3945 to work. it always worked flawlessly before this stage1 installation, but when building ipw3945 now, he comes over with "needs unknown external symbol release_firmware" and "request_firmware". i dont know what that is!

3) after rebooting, udev (or whatever) tries to modprobe modules he mustnt load! like ipw3945. theres no line in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 for that anyway. why does he try that? kernel module autoloading is deactivated, so that cant be the problem. he tries to load and dhcpcd my eth0 device as well, and i dont know why!

if you need more information, just tell me. i hope somebody can help me with this crap :(

Last edited by Hadriel on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Evileye
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stage 1 and 2 are no longer supported so that may be your problem
PMcCauley
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stage 1 may be unsupported but shouldn't really be the cause of the problem. I have always done stage 1 installs and it's not as if support has been removed afterall stage1 images are still supplied. Maybe you were using an earlier version of the kernel or wireless driver or different compiler settings.

Patrick
palsyboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This helped me a few weeks ago. I know nothing of the other two issues.
msalerno
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest version of UDEV has caused me some headaches as well.

For your udev problem, I suggest:
In your /etc/conf.d/rc
RC_COLDPLUG="no"

Then load your modules manually with either

/etc/modules.autload.d/kernel-2.6
and/or /etc/modules.d/

Don't forget to run modules-update

Good luck
Un.tot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you upgrade your ipw3945 recently? A friend of mine worked around that problem recently either by downgrading or upgrading to a masked version. But I don't know for sure what exactly he did. Sorry.
Hadriel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, 2 of 3 problems are fixed now. only ipw3945 remains.
i upgraded to kernel-2.6.19-genroo-r1. works good so far. anyway, when emerging ieee80211, it complains about this network stack header files (or whatever) being in the kernel sources, and wants me to run this script (remove-old). afterwards, when emerging ieee80211, it says "error: linux/config.h: no such file or directory". has anyone an idea what i should do now? :/

edit:
i'm making progress ;)
config.h had to be touched, ieee80211 and ipw3945 built without problems. i can now modprobe ipw3945, problem is that iwconfig is silly. when entering the essid (iwconfig eth1 essid "wgwlan"), it sets the essid to "wgwla"...dunno why. furthermore, setting the wep key ( i know i know, i should use wpa, that comes later) doesnt work. it says "error for wireless request "set encode": set failed on device eth1: operation not supported.". what the hell?
Hadriel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys, i'll switch to the ipw3945 thread and mark this as partially solved. thx for the help tho.
PMcCauley
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadriel wrote:
ok, 2 of 3 problems are fixed now. only ipw3945 remains.
i upgraded to kernel-2.6.19-genroo-r1. works good so far. anyway, when emerging ieee80211, it complains about this network stack header files (or whatever) being in the kernel sources, and wants me to run this script (remove-old). afterwards, when emerging ieee80211, it says "error: linux/config.h: no such file or directory". has anyone an idea what i should do now? :/

edit:
i'm making progress ;)
config.h had to be touched, ieee80211 and ipw3945 built without problems. i can now modprobe ipw3945, problem is that iwconfig is silly. when entering the essid (iwconfig eth1 essid "wgwlan"), it sets the essid to "wgwla"...dunno why. furthermore, setting the wep key ( i know i know, i should use wpa, that comes later) doesnt work. it says "error for wireless request "set encode": set failed on device eth1: operation not supported.". what the hell?

For no wep try "modprobe wlan_wep", for your essid issue would adding an extra char be a workaround?

Patrick
Hadriel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solved now. got wlan (at least with wep) to work. i used the kernel patch from the ipw3945 thread, built the ieee80211 into the kernel and built ipw3945 as a kernel module.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: