installing gentoo on Sun Netra X1?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bos_mindwarp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: installing gentoo on Sun Netra X1? Reply with quote

I would like to try to install gentoo on the few netra machines we have at office (for the hell of it =)). Anyone has any idea how to go about this thing, Netra doesn't have CD-drive. Am I supposted to use Installation Server somehow?
r0cket-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: installing gentoo on Sun Netra X1? Reply with quote

bos_mindwarp wrote:
I would like to try to install gentoo on the few netra machines we have at office (for the hell of it =)). Anyone has any idea how to go about this thing, Netra doesn't have CD-drive. Am I supposted to use Installation Server somehow?

You can do a network-based install. Sparcs boot off the network by first grabbing an IP from an RARP server, then grabbing a boot image from a TFTP server on the network. Debian provides a Linux TFTP boot image for Sparc. You can find a link to it in the Gentoo Sparc install docs.

You then need to set a system up with an RARP and TFTP server. With my Netra-like system, I initially intended to run Solaris 9, so I set up a Solaris 8 box as a Solaris 9 network install server. There're docs on this on Sun's website. Most everything is script-based; you copy some files from the Solaris 9 CDs, enter a couple commands, and if you're doing it on an ancient SS5 like I did, 5 hours later, the server is ready. Anyway, when I realized Solaris sucks for what I'm doing, I decided to put Linux on there. As I said, Debian has some TFTP boot images, and you can basically take that file to your Solaris install server and drop it in place of the Solaris TFTP boot image (I think by default the images are stored in /tftpboot). Then, when you boot your Netra from the network, instead of booting Solaris, it'll boot Linux, and you can follow the Gentoo install docs from there.

It might be easier, though, to just find some documentation on setting up an RARP and TFTP server manually on a Linux box or Solaris box or whatever. Most Unixes have those services available. I've only found one (free) RARP server for Windows, though plenty of TFTP servers are around.

I'd suggest searching the forums here for 'Netra' and see what comes up. I think there're a few people here who've installed on an X1, though I'm not sure if they did it from the network or not.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: