Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Webhosting on gentoo? Need som pointers...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metz-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Webhosting on gentoo? Need som pointers... Reply with quote

Hi..

I'm currently thinking of doing some research running some kind of webhosting environemt on a gentoo box(es).. I have been trying to search the web for some tutorials on the subject, but.. Can't find any good solutions to my problem..

The thing I'm after is:

- Webhost environment (admin, easy way to administer and add/remove users, bandwith, diskspace etc... Webbased)
- Some kind of controlpanel for the users to use on their accounts (like cpanel or whatsoever).
- Webmail/mailserver!?!

You guys running webservers (hosting companies) know what I need, and what works and don't works..
I have no clue....

If somebody could give me some hints (links, guides) I would be greatful..

I'm not to experienced with linux, but I have been running gentoo for a while and know my way around (almost all the time ;)
Have apache2, mysql, iptables ++ runnning, but as I said.. I'm a complete noob actually ;)

I want to specify that I'm interested in trying out the possibilities on running a dedicated hosting server. And maybe after I knwo what I'm doing. I will try to have a solution running..

I guess the use of multiple servers also are possible someway, with different locations round the world.. Somekind of clonig? lol...

Help me out...... ;)

Sinc!

Tom
DieselPower
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant be of much help, but here are a few thing to take a look at.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Apache_Modules_mod_vhost_alias
Quote:

#Dynamic VirtualHost: If you want to maintain multiple domains/hostnames on
# your machine and have the process be semi-automatted, you can enable dynamic
# virtual hosts. Apache will automatically host any folder under
# /var/www/vhosts/ as a corresponding domain name. An example of this is:
# If you create the folder example.com under /var/www/vhosts/, now Apache will
# serve pages for example.com using the /var/www/vhosts/example.com/ folder.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Linux_Virtual_Hosting_Server

And this prob won't help much, as it is for a WISP setup, and still not finished, but here it is. It does have a good little tut on SQL commands with much more to come.
http://www.orbwireless.net/wispwiki/
I have it my way no matter what, and I build it every time, 'cause they don't sell them that way. A genius is always has what he wants, but a rich person does not. I'm a rich kid with no money! That's why I chose Gentoo...
Mousee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Webhosting on gentoo? Need som pointers... Reply with quote

metz- wrote:
Hi..
- Some kind of controlpanel for the users to use on their accounts (like cpanel or whatsoever).
- Webmail/mailserver!?!

I don't have much experience with it, however I recommend checking out 'Plesk', as an alternative to CPanel.
It's slightly cheaper and, in my opinion, they offer more flexibility in their licensing than CPanel does.

For a Webmail/mailserver - I've been using Kerio Mailserver for a few years now, and it's absolutely THE best alternative to an MS exchange server you can find.
And of course several thousand dollars cheaper, heh.
It has a built-in webmail feature that you can customize the layout for, built-in or external anti-virus protection, a very nice built-in anti-spam mail program called 'spamassassin', and etc etc. You can read about it and download their trial version from here: KMS Home
However I must note, there are a couple of issues running Kerio Mailserver under Gentoo. Both easily fixed as I'll explain below:

• In order to get the webmail feature working on Gentoo (Gentoo is not supported yet by Kerio), you need to compile glibc with the 'glibc-compat20' USE Flag. Otherwise the mailserver will continue to crash each time you start it up and attempt to access the webmail service. This is apparently due to an incompatibility with libstdc++ (they require an older version of it, that doesn't even look to be in the portage tree any longer).
  • You'll need an init.d script to run kerio, and since they distribute Kerio through rpm's, you'll need to create your own. Scroll down in this thread to the post made by drfli, to see a working init script example.

If you have any issues setting it up, let me know and I'll be happy to help :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: