kde-i18n-3.5.5 and LINGUAS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guinpen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: kde-i18n-3.5.5 and LINGUAS Reply with quote

Hello,
I have my LINGUAS variable set to "en" but kde-i18n-3.5.5 won't accept it. Why is this?

Code:
superfly ~ # emerge -1 kde-meta -av

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies ... done!
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kde-i18n-3.5.5  USE="kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility xinerama -arts -debug" LINGUAS="-af -ar -az -bg -bn -br -bs -ca -cs -cy -da -de -el -en_GB -eo -es -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -fy -ga -gl -he -hi -hr -hu -is -it -ja -kk -km -ko -lt -lv -mk -mn -ms -nb -nds -nl -nn -pa -pl -pt -pt_BR -ro -ru -rw -se -sk -sl -sr -sr@Latn -ss -sv -ta -tg -tr -uk -uz -vi -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] kde-base/kde-meta-3.5.5  USE="nls%* -accessibility" 0 kB

Total: 2 packages (1 new, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

>>> Emerging (1 of 2) kde-base/kde-i18n-3.5.5 to /
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                                                         [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                                                        [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                                                       [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...

* You must set the LINGUAS environment variable to a list of valid
 * language codes, one for each language you would like to install.
 * e.g.: LINGUAS="sv de pt"
 * The available language codes are:
af ar az bg bn br bs ca cs cy da de el en_GB eo es et
eu fa fi fr fy ga gl he hi hr hu is it ja kk km ko lt lv
mk mn ms nb nds nl nn pa pl pt pt_BR ro ru rw se sk sl
sr sr@Latn ss sv ta tg tr uk uz vi zh_CN zh_TW

!!! ERROR: kde-base/kde-i18n-3.5.5 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1568:   Called dyn_unpack
  ebuild.sh, line 708:   Called src_unpack
  kde-i18n-3.5.5.ebuild, line 36:   Called die

!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

superfly ~ # cat /etc/make.conf | grep LINGUAS
#LINGUAS="en_GB bg"
LINGUAS="en"
superfly ~ #
Gentoo613
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be that "en" is the default for kde and that you only needed it to enable it for other languages.

My LINGUAS setting...
Code:
LINGUAS="en_GB en_US he"

Which gives me British English, American English, and Hebrew

Not all apps have all languages. Hope that helps.

Check out the http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml

Onec you set that up... you will get the language(s) installed that you want. (If they are available)
Guinpen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the link. It clearly refers to some RFC where the codes are defined, and the RFC lists en, so I thought it should be legal. Besides, why is en_GB mentioned and not en_US? I'll try en_US now instead of en and see what happens.
Torangan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are translations, not languages. en_US is the standard which is used when nothing else is selected. This happens to be the case for most programs, only very few have a different language as base and a translation into english. en_GB is then obviously the translation into the british english variant (which happens to be very similiar to the original but still different).
Guinpen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. While I'd prefer everything in my PC to be in US English, I also want to have Unicode support, thus I need the nls flag. But it appears that the nls flag pulls kde-i18n which then needs a LINGUAS other than "en" and "en_US". So how should I deal with this?
Vandon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem here. Perhaps the kde-i18n package needs to be modified to recognize en or en_US
thumper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vandon wrote:
I have the same problem here. Perhaps the kde-i18n package needs to be modified to recognize en or en_US

Exactly what he said...

George
The Box
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems there is a solution to this and it has been addressed in the ebuild and is waiting for QA. Hopefully this should entirely go away in the future and it should not be required to set LINGUAS in your make.conf. The work-around for now is to set LINGUAS in make conf to what would be your second language. Please note that a value of "en" or "en_US" does not work and is actually the default. This package is for building programs with support for languages other than English. You can read about it here if you want: KDE Internationalization/Localization

work-around (British English as a second language)
in /etc/make.conf
Code:

LINGUAS="en_GB"

Please note that if you have a real second language to choose it instead of the value above. I'll keep watching the bug so this can be marked solved.

Bug 137297
rsa4046
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just synced (bug has Status=RESOLVED and Resolution=FIXED), and kde-i18n-3.5.5 needs LINGUAS variable set to "en" or "en_GB" ("en_US" does not work).
aplesch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem: default install, LINGUAS not set and no desire to do so.

To affect as few other things as possible, I may want to use the keyword linguas_en for kde-i18n only.
But this still does not work although LINGUAS=en would.

I think I will then try linguas_en_GB which seems like a very dirty "solution" to me.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you change the LINGUAS line then the next update the world wants to update everything!!!!
if we have only en_US then says somehting about linguas variables blah blah.
i did not notice what exactly it said.
sure it will want to re emerge OO and kde.
i have LINGUAS="en_US"
see what it wants to do with OO

localhost ramaswamy # emerge openoffice -DNuav

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] dev-libs/boost-1.33.1-r1 USE="-bcp -bjam -debug -doc -icu% -pyste -threads -threadsonly" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] sys-devel/gcc-4.1.1-r3 USE="fortran nls (-altivec) -bootstrap -build -doc -gcj -gtk* (-hardened) -ip28 -ip32r10k -mudflap (-multilib) -multislot (-n32) (-n64) -nocxx -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -test -vanilla" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] app-office/openoffice-2.0.4 USE="cups pam -binfilter -branding -cairo* -dbus* -debug -eds* -firefox* -gnome* -gstreamer* -gtk* -java -kde* -ldap* -odk -sound -webdav" LINGUAS="en_US* -af -ar -be_BY -bg -bn -bs -ca -cs -cy -da -de -el -en -en_GB -en_ZA -es -et -fa -fi -fr -gu_IN -he -hi_IN -hr -hu -it -ja -km -ko -lt -lv -mk -nb -nl -nn -nr -ns -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -ru -rw -sh_YU -sk -sl -sr_CS -st -sv -sw_TZ -th -tn -tr -ts -vi -xh -zh_CN -zh_TW -zu" 4,550 kB

Total: 3 packages (3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 4,550 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

when i emerged the OO i did not have any LINGUAS set in my /etc/make.conf.

now that its alredy done and working i am not going to spend 6 hrs compile on this.

:( :(

rsa4046

I just synced (bug has Status=RESOLVED and Resolution=FIXED), and kde-i18n-3.5.5 needs LINGUAS variable set to "en" or "en_GB" ("en_US" does not work).

it works. only we have to emerge -N
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: