Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo Framebuffer, Bootsplash & Grubsplash - SUPPORT
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36, 37, 38  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is not necessary to download the gentoo-artwork to use th bootsplash.
Narada
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What about w/o KDE? Reply with quote

monkeyBox wrote:
Is it neccessary to emerge gentoo-artwork? because for some reason gentoo-artwork requires kde-base... (not sure why). Since I don't use KDE I'd rather not have to compile it just to get some artwork.. Is it really necessary to have KDE as a dependancy??

To get gentoo-artwork without kde try command below using pretend mode initially.
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86 USE=-kde emerge gentoo-artwork

If portage still wants to get kde then prefetch the tarball and extract it yourself to get the contents.
Code:
emerge -f gentoo-artwork

Gentoo-artwork is entirely optional for the purpose of getting nice artwork on gentoo theme. I have now added a note in the How-To to say so.
silex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I disable radeon support in Framebuffer to get it working? It seems that vesafb conflicts with radeonfb, because dmesg says
Quote:

radeonfb: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=12, xclk=27500 defaults
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
radeonfb: ATI Radeon 8500 QL DDR SGRAM 64 MB
radeonfb: DVI port CRT monitor connected
radeonfb: CRT port CRT monitor connected
vesafb: abort, cannot reserve video memory at 0xd0000000
vesafb: framebuffer at 0xd0000000, mapped to 0xe4813000, size 65536k
vesafb: mode is 1280x1024x16, linelength=2560, pages=24
vesafb: protected mode interface info at c000:54b4
vesafb: scrolling: redraw
vesafb: directcolor: size=0:5:6:5, shift=0:11:5:0
fb1: VESA VGA frame buffer device
Narada
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silex wrote:
Should I disable radeon support in Framebuffer to get it working? It seems that vesafb conflicts with radeonfb.

Try disabling all radeon specific options in kernel. For more specific information support press the '?' key after highlighting each of the radeon FB options in turn in the kernel and move on to read the documentation in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/.
acerbix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narada wrote:
acerbix wrote:
(Before making the bootsplash changes, everything described below worked okay: I am using the gaming sources 2.4.20-r2 srcs on a sony vaio grx 690: Also I made *only* the changes described in this guide to the kernel config to minimize possible failure points)

I'm hoping you didn't patch this kernel since the latest versions of gaming sources and gentoo sources (r3) already have the bootsplash patch built in. The use of gentoo sources r3 isn't recommended due to reports of compilation failures however.

I am using the "vanilla"(?) gaming sources (r2). My pcmcia problem was caused as the kernel b uild hosed the pcmcia-cs install. After unmerging and re-emerging pcmcia-cs, I was okay. You might want to consider adding this in the howto, as this might be helpful to anyone who uses a laptop (i.e. pcmcia services)

Also, the kernel build hosed the XFree86 4.3 radeon driver (the version shipped with the kernel is 1.1.1) and DRI was disabled. In order to re-enable DRI, I had to re-emerge xfree-drm.
acerbix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silex wrote:
Narada wrote:
acerbix wrote:
(Before making the bootsplash changes, everything described below worked okay: I am using the gaming sources 2.4.20-r2 srcs on a sony vaio grx 690: Also I made *only* the changes described in this guide to the kernel config to minimize possible failure points)

I'm hoping you didn't patch this kernel since the latest versions of gaming sources and gentoo sources already have the bootsplash patch built in.

I am using the gaming srcs, which do not need to be patched. The r2 gaming srcs are part of the ut2003 demo livecd.

Cheers
anz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: splash troubles Reply with quote

guero61 wrote:
I've gotten to applying an image to VC1, and I'm stumped; I get this error:
Code:

syntax error: text_x=256

It's the only error returned. What gives?

I have similar troubles - after the splash device I also get only the error message above. And the initrd file was empty ...
Un- and re-emerging the bootsplash could not help. :cry:

BUT: in /usr/share/bootsplash/ you can find working initrd files. Just copy the file you need (f.e. initrd-1024x768).
So I can enjoy the fine bootsplash ... thanks alot for that "built in way out"! 8O

Greetings, anz
Cappy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narada, add another pat on your back :) Excellent tut !! I've been struggling on and off with this darn FB thing for awhile, with no positive results.....till now!! Worked perfect the first time through :D

One question though..... the boxed out border that automatically populates the screen ( the light border with the red Gentoo logo on the bottom right)... Is there anyway to eliminate that completely ??? I want to be able to make my own console templates with my own border. If so, how do I go about doing this ???

Thanks again for an awesome tutorial :D

BTW: I hope this wasn't asked and answered already. I only had time to briefly go through this thread, so I may have missed it :roll:

Cap
satis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guero61 wrote:
What I said earlier:

What if it craps out at steps 9 _and_ 12 with a syntax error (text_x=256)?

Try
Code:
/sbin/splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/default/config/bootsplash-1280x1024.cfg > /boot/initrd-1280x1024

instead of just
Code:
splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/default/config/bootsplash-1280x1024.cfg > /boot/initrd-1280x1024

(put /sbin/ in the beginning)
If it works you probably have an older version of splash installed (ie <v3) somewhere (/bin maybe?).
Narada
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cappy wrote:
One question though..... the boxed out border that automatically populates the screen ( the light border with the red Gentoo logo on the bottom right)... Is there anyway to eliminate that completely ??? I want to be able to make my own console templates with my own border. If so, how do I go about doing this?

Glad it worked out well for you. Regarding creating your own theme here is a very quick run through which you should modify to your resolution and choice of directory name. I intend to do a section on this on the original post when I have more time.
Code:
mkdir /etc/bootsplash/personal/
mkdir /etc/bootsplash/personal/images/    (put your images here)
mkdir /etc/bootsplash/personal/config/    (put your config file here)
cp /etc/bootsplash/default/config/bootsplash-1280x1024.cfg /etc/bootsplash/personal/config/
rm /etc/bootsplash/default    (remove default symbolic link)
ln -s /etc/bootsplash/personal /etc/bootsplash/default

Then open /etc/bootsplash/personal/config/bootsplash-1280x1024.cfg to edit the paths to images of your choice and also the area on your image that is used to display text. After this is done follow the remainder of the guide as normal. Make sure that your images are in jpeg format and of correct native resolution. The 'convert' command from imagemagick is quite useful; do 'man convert to find out more.
postja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Undefined mode Reply with quote

I'm having a wierd problem which I haven't seen described in this thread yet. I've followed the guide, but when I reboot and select the bootsplash entry in the grub boot menu it give me the following message:

Quote:
You passed an undefined mode number.
Press <RETURN> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue or wait 30 secs

If I wait the 30secs it just boots normally. If I his enter I get these video modes:

Quote:
Video Adapter: VESA VGA
Mode: COLSxROWS
0 0F00 80X25
1 0F01 80X50
2 0F02 80X43
3 0F03 80X28
4 0F05 80X30
5 0F06 80X34
6 0F07 80X60

Enter mode number or 'scan':

If I type 'scan' the screen goes black and presents me with the same menu with an extra option,

Quote:
7 0100 40x25

I've tried most of these modes, and when I select one it starts the boot process with much smaller fonts than I usually see, so I assume that it's working. But as soon as the boot process gets to runlevel 3 everything goes back to the default size (40 colums x 25 rows).

Here's the relevant portion of my grub.conf:

Quote:
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda1 vga=0x317 vide0=vesa:1024x768
initrd=/boot/initrd-1024x768

Anyone have any ideas?
Cappy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was misunderstood :roll: :) What I meant by this:

Quote:
One question though..... the boxed out border that automatically populates the screen ( the light border with the red Gentoo logo on the bottom right)... Is there anyway to eliminate that completely ??? I want to be able to make my own console templates with my own border. If so, how do I go about doing this?

I fully understand how to swap out configs and images with my own, but by default, the image is "boxed out" out. I want to be able to create my own "boxed out" area where the text goes. The link you had to the bootsplash website had some info on the config file options, but it really didn't fully explain them.

Example of box I'm refering to:

Your Image

All is good though, after messing with some of the config parameters, I figured out how to remove that border.....by commenting out these lines....
Code:
# text box (left, top)
#box     19 19  19 679 #313234
#box     19 19 1005 19 #313234
# (right, bottom)
#box     1005 19 1005 679 #eef4ff
#box     19 679 1005 679 #eef4ff

# box itself
#box noover 20 20 1004 678 #04045498

This way I can create my own images with a border style of my choosing, instead of the default white alpha channeled square. :D

I appreciate your reply, though :D

Cap
scocou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

postja wrote:
I'm having a wierd problem which I haven't seen described in this thread yet. I've followed the guide, but when I reboot and select the bootsplash entry in the grub boot menu it give me the following message
Code:
You passed an undefined mode number.
Press <RETURN> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue or wait 30 secs...

Code:

Where your kernel command line has specified vga=0x317 you must replace it with an acceptable mode, that is to your monitor/vga. I would back it down to 0x316 or up to 0x318 to see if that works. If it does work you can trial and error your way to the best one pretty quickly. In other words, don't just try one mode because sometimes they seem to not work. I found using <Ctrl><Alt><Del> then editing my kernel command line with GRUB to be pretty efficient at trying them all.
scocou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wait postja, I just found a problem...
Code:

You've spelled video with a number zero instead of the letter 'o' :oops:
You may also want to put the video= argument before the vga= one, but I could just be a little anal there :wink:, it might not matter...
pahud
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there bootsplash-640x480.cfg available?
anz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

satis wrote:
guero61 wrote:
What I said earlier:

What if it craps out at steps 9 _and_ 12 with a syntax error (text_x=256)?

Try
Code:
/sbin/splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/default/config/bootsplash-1280x1024.cfg > /boot/initrd-1280x1024

(put /sbin/ in the beginning)
If it works you probably have an older version of splash installed (ie <v3) somewhere (/bin maybe?).

Thanks - you guys are great - I have two versions of splash - one in the /bin/ (an older one from earlier bootsplash experiments) and the new one in the /sbin/
After normal "splash -s -f ..." the old splash in the /bin/ folder runs and executes with the syntax error.
If you run with "/sbin/splash ..." the new one will be activated - and that works :D
pahud
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that not all .jpg files are compatitable with splash.
When you splash again some jpeg file, the kernel complains
Code:
 Looking for splash picture.... no good signature found.

ideas?
Luke-Jr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Troubleshooting Reply with quote

When I try to use the regular GRUB splashimage *or* the bootsplash talked about in this HOWTO, my display blanks and doesn't work until (at least for the normal GRUB splash) the init gets to setting fonts...
My video card is a nVidia TNT2, but I'm only trying to use SVGA (800x600 64k) for the splash.
Anyone have any idea how I can get this to work?
Thx!
Cappy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone here....especially Narada for creating this tutorial :D. Because of all of you I got it all working great!! I just created a bootsplash image for myself (or anyone that would like to use it).

The question is.....does anyone know of any good, free file/web hosts ??? I'd like to post it, but my ISP doesn't have anything suitable for linking to images. Searching didn't really turn up anything interesting. If someone could point me in the right direction or suggest something....it would be greatly appreciated :D

Cap
Narada
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cappy wrote:
The question is.....does anyone know of any good, free file/web hosts ??? I'd like to post it, but my ISP doesn't have anything suitable for linking to images.

Hi Cappy. I'm not sure what you mean by 'suitable for linking to images' as that is a standard feature that any web host will allow. Choosing a web host depends on where you live. It is often better to choose a local host and that way payment is in local currency and speeds are better. Commercial internet only providers such as Tripod, Lycos, Geocities, FortuneCity to name a few may be global but have adverts and speeds are quite slow.
Cappy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found one :) Here is my console with the FB image I just made:

Click Here

Cap
Retired General
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: hmm problem... Reply with quote

I'm using gentoo-sources-r3 and it works but the splash only appears at the end of the init process:

Quote:

*Starting local...
*Setting Console frame buffer images... [ok]

The splash appears on all consoles but only after the init process has finished.
During kernel loading and init the frame buffer works but instead of the splash image "Larry the cow" logo appears. Is it normal? How can I change this?

uname -a output:
Quote:

Linux Wolverine 2.4.20-gentoo-r3 #1 Wed Apr 30 18:29:36 IDT 2003 i686 Pentium II
I (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Video card is GeForce 4MX 440 with 64MB, X is using the latest Nvidia drivers (1.0.4363).
Narada
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: hmm problem... Reply with quote

Retired General wrote:
The splash appears on all consoles but only after the init process has finished. During kernel loading and init the frame buffer works but instead of the splash image "Larry the cow" logo appears.

A problem with getting a blank framebuffer during the boot process can be narrowed down to either the initrd= parameter in grub.conf (which you should post here) and the initrd file in /boot. Check the grub.conf file for syntax errors and check that the initrd resolution is the same as that specified in vga=. Also, try removing and recreating the /boot/initrd file. Also, is the resolution you are using the highest native resolution of your monitor? An extreme solution is to try a different kernel. I have seen this problem with vanilla-sources-2.4.20 but not with gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r2. Persist at it!
Retired General
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: grub.conf Reply with quote

Here's my grub.conf:
Code:

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/gentoo-boot.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd1,0)
kernel (hd1,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hdb3 video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x31A initrd=/boot/initrd-1280x1024

title=Windows 2000
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

I'm using 1280x1024 which is not the highest resolution my monitor can display (max is: 1600x1200@75Hz). I don't know what you mean by native resolution, I have a CRT, but the recommended resolution by the manufacturer is 1280x1024@85Hz

I've also tried changing the /boot/initrd-1280x1024 but it had no effect. I've looked at the bootsplash script in /etc/init.d and there's a comment near the top that says it should be run after local which on my system it does.
Narada
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: grub.conf Reply with quote

Retired General wrote:
Here's my grub.conf:
title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd1,0)
kernel (hd1,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hdb3 video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x31A initrd=/boot/initrd-1280x1024

Put initrd=/boot/initrd-1280x1024 on a new line after the kernel line.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 5 of 38

Jump to: