Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo Framebuffer, Bootsplash & Grubsplash - SUPPORT
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 36, 37, 38  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Config
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is sooo big - I hope my question hasn't been answered before....

I have created my own theme (well, just basic gentoo theme with another picture :) and I changed the default link, changed the variable in /etc/conf.d/bootsplash. What's happeing now: the gentoo wallpaper shows up, when starting :? But after having booted, the picture switches to the correct one.
Oh - one thing: I have rerun splash -f .... again to replace that initrd file....
How can I solve this?
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been answered before, but it's been awhile since I tried bootsplash...

Last time I tried it, accellerated support was not supported. Is it supported now? I just saw this on the www.bootsplash.org site, so I figured I'd ask:
Quote:
...to "Console drivers" -> "Frame-Buffer support" and select "VESA VGA graphics console" (or possibly another framebuffer driver, if one is available for your graphics hardware) and turn on "Use splash screen instead of boot logo".
Config
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joffer wrote:
Sorry if this has been answered before, but it's been awhile since I tried bootsplash...

Last time I tried it, accellerated support was not supported. Is it supported now? I just saw this on the www.bootsplash.org site, so I figured I'd ask:
Quote:
...to "Console drivers" -> "Frame-Buffer support" and select "VESA VGA graphics console" (or possibly another framebuffer driver, if one is available for your graphics hardware) and turn on "Use splash screen instead of boot logo".

This depends on what graphics card you're using, i.e, there needs to be a driver for it. If you're running an nvidia card, you can try your luck with rivafb, but as far as I know, it still has quite a few bugs :( . Radeon and matrox cards do work, I think.
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Config wrote:
This depends on what graphics card you're using, i.e, there needs to be a driver for it. If you're running an nvidia card, you can try your luck with rivafb, but as far as I know, it still has quite a few bugs :( . Radeon and matrox cards do work, I think.

Good to know.. just what I wanted to know :) Thnx
|Spiller|
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasitus wrote:
postja wrote:
I'm having a wierd problem which I haven't seen described in this thread yet. I've followed the guide, but when I reboot and select the bootsplash entry in the grub boot menu it give me the following message:
Quote:
You passed an undefined mode number.
Press <RETURN> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue or wait 30 secs

I am having the same problem. I have read several posts like this, but there is no answer. I have tried even 640x480 few colors and it still bombs.

Could it be a problem with the driver? I have integrated Intel for video. Trying to use the Vesa driver. X works fine at higher res and greater color depth. Can I somehow use that driver?

Any clue? BTW, the new live cd doesn't show the background image on this machine as well... ugh.

Same problem here (on i810). Have you solved it yet?
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to get ywrap working properly? I'm trying to enable it on my pentium3 / geforce2 and it's pretty slow without it. Also can anyone give an example of how to specify the video memory size in the boot parameters? Something like video=vesa:vram:x or some such, but I can't figure out how to get it to work.

I see a lot of boot outputs of people that have ywrap listed in their options, but vesa says it's using redraw for scrolling. What gives?

Thanks
grant.mcdorman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the bootsplash working nicely, but I have a minor problem with video timing.

With the monitor adjusted for optimum display in X (set to 1280x1024 75Hz 24bpp), the console is cut off at the left, to the extent that two columns of text are not visible.

Now, I can change the monitor settings so that the entire console is visible, but then my X display is not as sharp.

As a hack, I've changed the configuration file so that the text left margin has been moved considerably to the right. However, obviously this is not ideal.

Is there any way to adjust the video timing for the console so that it matches the timing X is using?

Software: Kernel is 2.4.20-gentoo-r5. Latest bootsplash installed.
Grub configuration:
Code:
default 0
timeout 5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda2 hdc=ide-scsi video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x31A
initrd=/initrd-1280x1024

title=Windows Xtra Pathetique
root (hd0,3)
chainloader +1

Hardware: Video card NVidia GeForce4 MX 420
Monitor Dell E171FPb

According to the monitor's on screen-menu, the pixel clock is 50 and the phase is 12 (in whatever units those are, the menu doesn't say).

I'm going to try changing the video= option to
Code:
video=vesa:1280x1024@75,ywrap,mtrr

based on other posts I've seen here. Can anyone give me any other suggestions?

Thanks.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it would be easier for you to change your X timings to match the framebuffer?
grant.mcdorman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BradN wrote:
Maybe it would be easier for you to change your X timings to match the framebuffer?

You mean via modelines in XF86Config? Perhaps, but currently the timing is being picked up by probing the monitor (i.e. EDID); I have no modelines in my XF86Config. Besides, given that X is at 75Hz and the console is at 60Hz, I suspect that it may not be possible to get them 100% in sync.

Does the VESA framebuffer use /etc/fb.modes? If it does, then - in theory at least - I could grab the timing information from XFree86.0.log and correct /etc/fb.modes to that.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it uses a file in /etc/ because it doesn't even have the root filesystem mounted when it starts up. As for X... even if you can't get the exact same modeline, you can adjust the image left or right hopefully enough to make it the same.

Good luck
someguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: hmmmm Reply with quote

grub # rc-update add bootplash default
* /sbin/rc-update: /etc/init.d/bootplash not found; aborting.
grant.mcdorman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: How to fix the console video timings Reply with quote

grant.mcdorman wrote:
I have the bootsplash working nicely, but I have a minor problem with video timing..

Found a fix.

This thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=71570&highlight=
gives instructions on modifying the kernel's VESA refresh rates. I now have a nice display at 75Hz which matches my default X display exactly.
julmust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there's a patch for the 2.6-kernels around?
I've set up fb in 1280x1024, now all i want is some beautiful eyecandy :)
spock_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, there is none, at least not officially (according to http://www.bootsplash.org/). BTW - I have you just created a bootsplash patch for 2.4.22-pre10-ac1 (available from your Portage tree). It can be found here.
exilejedi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Matrox G400: framebuffer working, bootsplash/initrd not Reply with quote

I've been playing with this off and on for a couple of weeks now, and I think I am officially stumped.

I have a Matrox G400. I got everything to install ok, and the kernel built ok. I figured out how to get the Matrox framebuffer configured more-or-less correctly, and I now have tasty 1600x1200 text consoles and a cute little Tux logo while I boot.

Where I'm stuck is getting the fancy bootsplash to work. I built a bootsplash-1600x1200.cfg, and generated a /boot/initrd-1600x1200 from that. When I boot with both the framebuffer and initrd, I get a kernel panic right after the line: "zone(1): 94192 pages." The whole machine hangs, and my caps lock and scroll lock LED's start blinking in unison.

When I boot without the initrd (but with bootsplash in my rc), I do eventually get the nice Larry the Cow background, but it disappears once X has started. While I'm using the machine, any time I switch into one of the text consoles, the background is gone, and the boxed area defined in the 1600x1200 configuration is displayed incorrectly, with the box region starting in the upper-left corner of the screen instead of where it's supposed to. When I shut down, the console output looks magically correct, with the background image shown, and the text region displayed correctly!

:?

I've seen other people post with similar kernel panic issues -- but haven't seen anything that really points to a solution. Anybody got any bright ideas that might help?

Thanks in advance...

-- Mike
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exilejedi - If I recall correctly, you can't have the Tux logo and bootsplash at the same time. If you have the Tux logo you have not followed the "how-to" to build a kernel with bootsplash support.. there should be an option to include bootsplash support when you configure your kernel (perhaps you have to patch/emerge bootsplash first)... consult the "Gentoo Forum Bootsplash How-To" (and there is an entire thread on it's own for bootsplash support, which you will learn about when reading the how-to.
exilejedi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joffer --

I am familiar with the bootsplash how-to thread (it's what planted the desire for a pretty bootsplash in the first place).

I bailed out of patching the kernel (gentoo-sources) when it was apparent that it had already been patched. I then built the kernel with the configuration described in the how-to thread, including the "splash screen instead of logo" option.

I'll try blowing away my kernel source and re-emerging it and building it from there... I've just been too lazy to try that yet.

Thanks,

Mike
usingloser
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a 5600 Ultra and able to change the resolution at boot by using the vga=xxx options.
slimsam1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[bemike@zone] ~ $ dmesg | grep splash
Kernel command line: root=/dev/hdb5 vga=791 splash=silent hdc=ide-scsi
bootsplash: silent mode.
Looking for splash picture... no good signature found.

All of my consoles are in vga 791 mode, so framebuffer is working fine... but they have no background image (are they supposed to?) and I don't see any sort of splash screen when I boot up. I installed bootsplash and patched it, but that was before I copied initrd.1024 to /boot/. Is that a problem? I tried to run the patch again but to no avail. Help is appreciated!
slimsam1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump

Last edited by slimsam1 on Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
usingloser
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone figured out the "undefined mode number" problem yet?

I have a geforcefx 5600 ultra, have the same trouble

I completely powered down for a few hours, moved to my dorm for college (arggg, work) and booted up. I did a double take when I realized that it actually had enabled the vesa framebuffer at 1280 for a changed. I did not edit any settings, and before I moved it would give me the undefined mode number error every time. It just started working for no apparent reason. So.... I got greedy and tried to change to a different framebuffer res (to 1024) so it would work on my TV, alas, it began to give me the undefined mode numer error again, and even when i tried to switch back to the old setting.

:(
fxlamare
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having problems for getting bootsplash to work.
I searched the forum without finding any relevant information.

The problem : the bootsplash doesn't appear @ bootup, but when the bootsplash's init.d script starts, it works (!?)
The dmesg says :

Code:

Looking for splash picture... no good signature found.
Looking for splash picture.... silenjpeg size 21768 bytes, found (1024x768, 20089 bytes, v3).
(this last line repeated several times)

I used genkernel to setup the kernel.

The emerged packages :
Code:

gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r6
genkernel-1.5
bootsplash-0.6-r2

I followed the howto in Doc & Tricks :
Code:

/sbin/splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/default/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg > /boot/initrd.bs

then,I discommented the last line of /etc/kernels/settings :
Code:
BOOT_SPLASH_INITRD="/boot/initrd.bs"

before genkernel'ing

My Grub setup...

Code:

title=Gentoo genkernel-made
root (hd1,5)
kernel (hd1,5)/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/hdd6 ro video=vesa:ywrap,mttr vga=0x317
initrd (hd1,5)/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r6

thanx for your help..
soroh6
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the last 7 hours or so pulling strands of hair out one by one..

I just installed Gentoo 1.4 final a couple days ago (was previously used 1.4-rc2, with a 1.4 final athlon-xp stage3 tarball).

Anyways, I installed bootsplash as I've done a thousand times in the past, the same way I always have, and I reboot and get this error, like many of you are having as well..
Quote:
You have passed an undefined mode number.

WTF?!
/proc/splash isn't getting created either, which I think relates to this error.. I've tried vanilla, gentoo, pfeifer.. nothin' works. I've searched google for a good hour but nobody has a solution to this.. at best they say "use vga=normal".. f' that heh.

I've never had the problem of /proc/splash not being created, this is a major piss off tho.. and I noticed the How-To for all this was changed recently, there used to be some "Optional" things to do (USE flags, emerges, that sorta thing.. why did you remove that section?)

-soroh

P.S: I'm using an Asus v9820 video card (Based on Ti4200 chipset), no integrated stuff.. and having the same problem as a few of you above. Just wanted to post this to let you guys know you aren't alone.. I've seriously tried everything to fix this tho.
soroh6
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely.. I just tried rebooting with the LiveCD, and even that gives me the same error as above now.. what's going on?!

I even removed my linux drives and partitions.. I've had framebuffer a thousand times in the past, and now when I boot with 1.4 final livecd, my system goes to hell? :x

sigh..
usingloser
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what video card are you using???
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 11 of 38

Jump to: