Some information needed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alloftheabove
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Some information needed Reply with quote

Sorry if something like this is somewhere else but i wasn't seeing anything about this entirly.

Ok well i'm planning on making a linux webserver, gentoo being my current choice I thought i'd ask here as well as a few other things, first thing I was wondering is how hard in comparison to other distro's would it be to set up an apache, php, mysql server with gentoo, my knowledge of linux isn't exactly the greatest, mostly pertains to things i've done while messing around on various distros like slackware, ubuntu, suse, and knoppix. So I decided to pick something that would be a decent challenge and allow me to learn quite a bit about linux in the process, and if it's alot harder than others, what should i consider for other distros that might be better for a first time go at this sort of thing? My current other thought would be slack cuz i've heard it's fairly easy to set up and very solid.

Also for the webserver I was curious as to what kind of partition table if any special kind I should look into, i'll be working with a 40gb HD and i've seen in a few various how-to's that it can be a good idea to set up specific partitions for the /var etc. directories.

The other thing I was wondering is how well does gentoo, or any distro for that matter handle hardware changes, such as new motherboard and video card, in the range of more newly released video cards. Basically would it be something I would want to wait to install/setup linux for after or would it not be too hard to reconfigure for it?

thanks in advance ^^
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Some information needed Reply with quote

alloftheabove wrote:
Sorry if something like this is somewhere else but i wasn't seeing anything about this entirly.

Ok well i'm planning on making a linux webserver, gentoo being my current choice I thought i'd ask here as well as a few other things, first thing I was wondering is how hard in comparison to other distro's would it be to set up an apache, php, mysql server with gentoo, ...

I think you will be positively surprised about how easy it really is with Gentoo. After you have done the emerge of the packages there is only a few lines you might need to change in your httpd.conf
file. and start the service. Then its working.

Quote:

Also for the webserver I was curious as to what kind of partition table if any special kind I should look into, i'll be working with a 40gb HD and i've seen in a few various how-to's that it can be a good idea to set up specific partitions for the /var etc. directories.

for a 40GB drive I would make something like this:

/boot 10MB
/root 200MB
/swap 512MB ( its usually enough depending on factors such as physical ram and machine load)
/usr 3GB ( portage take quite a lot so depending on how many applications you are going to install, about 3GB should be ok)
/var 512MB
/tmp 100MB
/storage rest of the drive - for samba or something else.

Quote:

The other thing I was wondering is how well does gentoo, or any distro for that matter handle hardware changes, such as new motherboard and video card, in the range of more newly released video cards. Basically would it be something I would want to wait to install/setup linux for after or would it not be too hard to reconfigure for it?

Actually I dont have much experience with this kind of thing, my boxes are almost identical in hardware, however once you get a new piece of hardware all you need to do is to add support
for it in Linux. Once you replace the hardware and reboot it should work ok. But then again, I never tried it, comments welcome. I might be wrong.

Quote:

thanks in advance ^^

Welcome, I hope it helps :)
linux: #232767
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: