Reiser4 and grub [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kate Monster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reiser4 and grub [solved] Reply with quote

Well, I had a bit of an issue last night. I had decided I would make a new Reiser4 partition, intending to use it as my "/" partition. So, I resized my windows partition, made the new one, and copied my files from my old reiserfs(v3) partition. But thats all I did. Well, booted back up(had not changed much as far as Grub goes) and grub gives a strange error, and won't boot. I booted the livecd, and come to find out my original partition has been completely hosed. Everything is gone. So it looks like my only chance at getting my stuff back is the new reiser4 partition. BUT, I can't figure out how to get it to work with grub. There is a download for a patched grub with reiser4 support on namesys.com, but it didn't work. when I start the prompt and type "root (hd0,1)" it complains about an unknown filesystem. By the way, the only (apparent) way to get the patched grub was to manually ./configure, and make it. And it didn't install the stage files in the /boot folder either...dunno if that helps tho. So I am at a loss as to what to do. Any ideas anyone? Oh...I guess I should also say I used the Livecd to reformat the original partition as ext3, and reinstalled gentoo on it. So I have a bootable computer, it just won't boot my old system.

Last edited by Kate Monster on Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Enverex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently you missed the bit that says "GRUB DOES NOT WORK WITH REISER4, THIS WILL NOT BE FIXED" when you installed Grub.
Kate Monster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enverex wrote:
Apparently you missed the bit that says "GRUB DOES NOT WORK WITH REISER4, THIS WILL NOT BE FIXED" when you installed Grub.

animefreak wrote:
There is a download for a patched grub with reiser4 support on namesys.com, but it didn't work.

If I wasnt clear enough, I installed the patched version, not regular Grub. Are you saying that that version is broken?
Enverex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed when you said "didn't work" that patching failed. Was the patch on the site for the correct version of Grub? Or was it the entire of Grub on the site so you'd need to unmerge grub on your machine to make sure you don't have the Portage version installed too. To be honest it's always best to have a boot partition because of issues like this...
Kate Monster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, had a few der-da-ders tonight, didnt even think to just put my kernel on a separate partition. Everything appears to be intact, so problem solved.

Sorry for wasting your time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: