Gentoo for noobs?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linuxandlizards
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Gentoo for noobs? Reply with quote

Hey guys!
I would like to try Gentoo, so far I have tried pclinuxos and ubuntu.
I hear the gentoo is just wonderful but how suitable is it for a beginner?
Is it easy to install and configure?
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo for noobs? Reply with quote

Linuxandlizards wrote:
Hey guys!
I would like to try Gentoo, so far I have tried pclinuxos and ubuntu.
I hear the gentoo is just wonderful but how suitable is it for a beginner?

Not that suitable, to tell you the truth.
Quote:
Is it easy to install and configure?

Installation is quite hard for the command line beginner, I'd say. As for configuration: There is a learning curve. Mostly, you do system administration by editing text config files. Once you have figured out what is what, Gentoo is easier to configure than most distros with a graphical configuration frontend. At the beginning, when you encounter a problem and don't even know how to ask the right questions to solve it, it can be very tough.
Ballerbaer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guy,
I'm new at gentoo too, and can say that installation is not difficult if you can read :wink: and know what hardware you have.

But the installation process is much more difficult than in ubuntu where you just click install and the system will do the rest for you.

Little hint: Read through the installation manual before installing and write down what commands you have to type in so you mustn't read
it at the console while installing.

Hope i helped you,
bye
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first few installs took me about a week. After about 4 I could install everything I need and configure it all in 2 days. But then again, when I was a newbie I totally messed up the kernel, and re-installed each and every time I stepped even a little out of the handbook's guidelines, and I didn't know any command line things to stop/pause processes, and I thought that if you didn't complete the base install in one run through you had to do it again (I was wrong, it was still in /mnt/gentoo after I mounted it, I learned at about my 3rd try).

Here are some helpful hints:

You have not one, but 6 terminals. Switch between them with ALT+F1-6.
    You have the ability to stop (control+C) and pause (control+Z) processes. To resume a process, type (%# resume where # is the process number. It'll tell you which one it is when you press Z)
    If you mess up, you don't have to start over from scratch.
    You can stop by and ask for help at any time, but don't forget to use the forum's search function first.
    If you don't understand a part of the manual, ask for help! I'd be glad to lend you a hand if you need it.
    Gentoo Linux is not easy, but it is the most functional and usable Linux distro I've used. After a while, it will become second nature. Don't give up!

There you have it. Have fun with your system!
Linuxandlizards
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
This sounds pretty exciting!
I am a member of my local lug, they meet every friday so if I get stuck I can always ask them I guess lol.
Where is this installation manual? :D 8O
Even if it kills me this sounds fun :)
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

DON'T USE THE GUI INSTALLER. I can't stress that enough. Use the minimal install or, if you want a GUI while installing so you can use your computer, get any linux livecd (I recommend this one), crack open a terminal and follow the regular minimal install instructions. However, the utility "mirrorselect" isn't available on any livecd that's not Gentoo based. Not like you'd need it though.
Linuxandlizards
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what I downloaded.

livecd-i686-installer-2006.1

will this work?
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you use that, follow the instructions I linked you to (in other words, do a manual install from a terminal).

DO NOT USE THE GRAPHICAL INSTALLER, IT CAN BREAK IN A MILLION DIFFERENT WAYS. (and you won't learn anything from using it)

The liveCD I linked you to is far better in my opinion (and it uses KDE, my favorite interface).

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml - regular handbook
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml - 64bit processor handbook

if you have a dual core processor, you'll probably be using the second link.

Last edited by sonicbhoc on Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Linuxandlizards
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the link you sent to me if for pclinuxos
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly. You can use any livecd for a Gentoo Linux install if you follow the handbook. I just sent you to my favorite.
Linuxandlizards
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so your saying use a dialogue installation?
swooshOnLn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linuxandlizzards,

The ISO you downloaded is FINE. Thats how I install Gentoo. All you need to do is once the LiveCD is booted, open a terminal and follow the installation manual. You do not need to download another LiveCD for they are pretty much all the same (granted alot of other LiveCDs support more hardware, use KDE insted of Gnome, etc). So jusut stick with what you got, there is no problem.

This is my font size, color, and signature. It will change to whatever I pick. How cool is that?
Linuxandlizards
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brb guys gtg.
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swooshOnLn wrote:
You do not need to download another LiveCD for they are pretty much all the same (granted alot of other LiveCDs support more hardware, use KDE insted of Gnome, etc). So jusut stick with what you got, there is no problem.

That's the reason I recommended he use a different liveCD, but like swooshOnLn said you don't have to. You could, and I do, but you don't have to.

In Linux, there are about a billion ways to do everything. What works for some might not work for others. But the only way to find out is to try it a bunch of different ways.

Also, this is a forum board. You don't have to leave "brb gtg" posts. Also, you should try not to use those kinds of "words". People might look down on you for it.
deejay_wonder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonicbhoc wrote:
if you use that, follow the instructions I linked you to (in other words, do a manual install from a terminal).

DO NOT USE THE GRAPHICAL INSTALLER, IT CAN BREAK IN A MILLION DIFFERENT WAYS. (and you won't learn anything from using it)

The liveCD I linked you to is far better in my opinion (and it uses KDE, my favorite interface).

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml - regular handbook
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml - 64bit processor handbook

if you have a dual core processor, you'll probably be using the second link.

I have installed my gentoo using the GUI - it is working fine. But I had my problems under the installation it keeps installing the kernel from the cd. But I have worked it out now.!
But I also recommend the terminal
Linuxandlizards
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks for all the help!
Sorry about the gtg and brb.
On some other forums people looked down on me for not using them lol! They said I was a clasic!
Well thanks for the advice I'll keep that in mind.
the_gummibear
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always recommend Gentoo for starters.. Since by using it you learn more about linux/your system than simply clicking "install" (in a matter of speech) for ubuntu/debian/...

But.. Be warned that it'll take a while & that the pc on which you're installing it will be unavailable for a while.
So it would be interesting/easy if you have another pc to use (daily use/help on errors during install/...) whilst installing.

But every 'noob' can install Gentoo if he's willing to be patient ;)
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_gummibear wrote:

But.. Be warned that it'll take a while & that the pc on which you're installing it will be unavailable for a while.

Exactly the reason that I recommended he use a livecd (and linked him to the pclinuxos one). So that he has a running system with a good amount of programs that he can use while the system compiles in a Konsole.

the_gummibear wrote:

But every 'noob' can install Gentoo if he's willing to be patient ;)

Quoted for truth. I mean, look at me. I'm still here! :lol:
dragnazz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not trying to hijack a thread i just dont feel the need to start another thread on the subject. im also going to try to install gentoo mainly because im curious about other distros and have heard this one is awesome but is also very tricky at first. im just having trouble finding the right .iso file to download. its going on a toshiba lap top with an intel processor. but i cant seem to find the right one....or im just blind and totally missing it. also...is the install gonna totally take down my computer until its all done. or am i gonna be able to read the manual if i save it to my computer up until the end of the install? i just dont want to get halfway through this install and completely screw my computer and than not be able to do anything on it.

thanks for the help and sorry for jacking the thread
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It becomes second nature to you after a while. I finish an install in about 1 hour. That's a Stage 3 install, then I go back and do an update and then a system rebuild. Then installing my programs and stuff like that, and in 2 or 3 days I'm done.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragnazz wrote:
... im also going to try to install gentoo mainly because im curious about other distros and have heard this one is awesome but is also very tricky at first.

Gentoo is awesome only if you can make it awesome. Heavy user input is required to accomplish that. :) Failing to do so leads to frustration. :(

For instance, looking at newbies emerge --info output usually USE flags like these can be seen: alsa arts esd oss. I hardly believe they are using all of them. They simply are not able to use the power of Gentoo. And so on.
Dammital
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linuxandlizards wrote:
Even if it kills me this sounds fun :)

You'll do okay.

I maintain that Gentoo is a hobbiest distribution; it invites tinkering. Now that's something that I rather enjoy, but it isn't for everyone. If you're the type of user who just wants to pop a CD into the cup holder and do something, then you're better off with e.g. Ubuntu. But if you like tweaking stuff, then Gentoo gives you limitless opportunity to do that.

You can occupy yourself for days optimizing Gentoo for your platform. IMO that's probably not a good use of your time unless you have limited machine resources... but some people love to shave nanoseconds.

In general, follow the stable arches. My ACCEPT_KEYWORDS specifies "x86", and my machines are solid and reliable -- if not quite bleeding edge. I recommend you do the same, at least for the first year or so. No sense inviting trouble, even though you can find people who have no problems running ~arch. (Gentoo unstable is not as stable as -say- Debian unstable, so approach it with caution.) Oh, and steer clear of "insane" CFLAGS for awhile.

The Gentoo Handbook is your best friend. Read it, I mean really read it. Search the forums here when you have questions, and then post if necessary. The folks here have a lot of experience and go out of their way to be helpful -- especially if you've obviously made an effort to research your problems beforehand.

Have fun. Gentoo won't kill you (but your wife might).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: