Boot partition filesystem?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lethality
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Boot partition filesystem? Reply with quote

Hello,
I am going to do a fresh gentoo install and I wonder what FS is the best for the boot partition.
The manual suggests ext2 for no apparent reason, and I wonder why since both ext3 and ReiserFS is much faster. Perhaps the obvious reason is that it doesn't matter, but still I'd like to know :P

Thanks in advance.
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the boot partition doesn't need journalling. Using ext2 reduces overhead, or at least that's what I remember reading. You're free to use ext3, but I don't know about using reiser with grub. All of my boot partitions have been ext something.
IQgryn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, ext2 is generally faster than reiser, and always faster than ext3. However, it won't matter much during boot, since there's only a few files being read from the boot partition. Pick whatever you like (I use ext3).
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonicbhoc wrote:
I don't know about using reiser with grub.

ReiserFS works fine with GRUB, as long as you use grub-0.90 or newer.

I know this because I normally don't use a separate partition for /boot , I boot directly from my (reiserfs) root partition.
richfish
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot partition filesystem? Reply with quote

Lethality wrote:
Hello,
I am going to do a fresh gentoo install and I wonder what FS is the best for the boot partition.
The manual suggests ext2 for no apparent reason, and I wonder why since both ext3 and ReiserFS is much faster. Perhaps the obvious reason is that it doesn't matter, but still I'd like to know :P

The real answer is: that was the preference of the person who wrote the guide! You are of course free to disagree and try something else.

But for the most part, it doesn't really matter. Because /boot is rarely written to (in fact I mount mine ro), so journalling is not really important. The most common thing that reads from it is the grub boot loader, and it only knows how to read disk blocks through the BIOS, so it is slow as hell anyway! Also grub has to use it's own filesystem drivers, and not the kernel's, so a simple filesystem is better here. This is proven by the historical problems with reading from other filesystems (like having to use the notail option with reiserfs), even if they are mostly resolved now.
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IQgryn wrote:
Actually, ext2 is generally faster than reiser, and always faster than ext3. However, it won't matter much during boot, since there's only a few files being read from the boot partition. Pick whatever you like (I use ext3).

Intuitively, you'd expect ext2 to always be faster than ext3, but that simply isn't the case. Many workloads benefit from full journaling. See http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fs8.html#4 (link stolen from codergeek42's Some ext3 Filesystem Tips). Also, ext2 doesn't have the dir_index option. The only guaranteed disadvantage of journaling is space, and ultimately that's why people use ext2 for /boot.

As for why people bother with a little filesystem at the beginning of the disk for /boot, there's the issue of bootloader readability that has already been mentioned, but also historically the BIOS had to be able to address the kernel directly with CHS. Modern versions of GRUB are able to work around these limitations.
Lethality
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot for all the answers :)!
I ended up choosing ext2 after all as I understand it has little effect on the boot time anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: