Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
kdeprint and escputil not working (solved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hvengel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: kdeprint and escputil not working (solved) Reply with quote

I have an Epson printer and I would like to be able to monitor the ink levels and other things that are supported by escputil (head cleaning, nozzle tests, align print head ...) from the kdeprint dialogs (use a GUI rather than the command line). My printer is a R2400 and although mtink detects the printer it does not give the correct results for ink levels (it shows only 7 ink colors and appears to be showing the light magenta level as the black level) and the R2400 is not listed as a supported printer. escputil works from the command line but when I try to use the Epson printer tools in the KDE control center I get the following error message:

Code:
Error

Cannot open /Stylus Photo R2400 read/write: No such file or directory.

The printer is located at /dev/usb/lp0 but when I try to modify the URI to point to this location in KDE control center printer interface (logged in as root) it lists the value as usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R2400 and will not let me change it. I get an error message that says:

Code:
The local URI doesn't correspond to a detected port. Continue?

when I enter /dev/usb/lp0 and if I press Continue I get an error message that says:

Code:
Unable to change printer properties.  Error received from manager:

client-error-bad-request

The usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R2400 URI is the same URI that is set in CUPS and in the CUPS web interface there is no way to set or change this value. It appears that CUPS knows how to resolve usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R2400 to find the actual device location but that kdeprint does not and actually needs the /dev/usb/lp0 in order to use the epson utilities.

By the way to use the epson utilities from the command line you also have to specify the device location as /dev/usb/lp0 and specifying usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R2400 or "usb://EPSON/Stylus Photo R2400" fails with the same error message that is returned by the KDE control center printer interface. So it appears that CUPS is forcing usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R2400 as the device name and that KDE passes this value to both CUPS and escputil and that escputil has no idea how to resolve this into the actual device name and it fails.

Thinking there must a a way to get this to work I looked in /etc/cups/printers.conf and fund that the URI is set there. I made a backup and then changed the URI to /dev/usb/lp0 and and restarted CUPS. Now things are working in the KDE control center epson printer tools dialogs. CUPS does not appear to be having issues with the fact that I have removed the indirection from the URI but I will not know for sure until I replace a cart that is low on ink. At this point CUPS seems to detect the printer and also detects that it can't print.

What I did is likely not the correct solution. Does anyone have any better way to fix this?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: