Questions about playing music on a console
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Questions about playing music on a console Reply with quote

I installed moc (Music On Console) and I love it. But is there an audioscrobbler plugin for it? Just wondering.

Also, what's the difference between mpd and moc? Which one do you prefer and, if you prefer mpd, what front-end do you like best?

EDIT: Oh yeah, is there an mpd client that has GPM support and the ability to cue tracks? 'cause then I'd be really happy and probably switch to MPD in a heartbeat.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have much experience moc but I like mpd. MPD uses a client/server model, which is the big difference between it and classical audio players. I tend to use ncmpc the most, however I also like sonata and gmpc for gui use. One thing I would like to add or see added to ncmpc would be lyrics fetching support.
ashtophet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zepp wrote:
Don't have much experience moc but I like mpd. MPD uses a client/server model, which is the big difference between it and classical audio players. I tend to use ncmpc the most, however I also like sonata and gmpc for gui use. One thing I would like to add or see added to ncmpc would be lyrics fetching support.

ncmpc tradiaz trunk support lyrics fetching (via leoslyrics). You can get it through mpd overlay (layman -a mpd[1]) or, directly, through svn:

svn co https://svn.musicpd.org/ncmpc/branches/tradiaz ncmpc

key 7 ;)

---------------------------------------
[1] http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Repositories#Experimental_Gentoo_Overlay
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashtophet wrote:
Zepp wrote:

ncmpc tradiaz trunk support lyrics fetching (via leoslyrics). You can get it through mpd overlay (layman -a mpd) or, directly, through svn:

svn co https://svn.musicpd.org/ncmpc/branches/tradiaz ncmpc

key 7 ;)

Funny thing, after reading this thread I thought I would look into this lyrics idea for ncmpc a little more closely and stumbled apon a post in the musicpd forum for ncmpc mentioning this very svn version :P. I will have to try it out when I get home :D
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never knew there was an mpd overlay in layman. Gonna add it now and update-eix. Thanks guys!
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a QT frontend to mpd that you like or should I just use Amarok in an X session for music playing? Is there a way to make Amarok use mpd?
ashtophet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are qt based frontends, such as qmpdclient and kanola, but the best GUI is, IMHO, gmpc. I also liked pympd (with appropriate USE flags it should not push any gnome dependency). I don't know any way to interact between mpd and amarok, maybe configuring and icecast local server with mpd and connecting to it through amarok? Anyway Amarok is a great music management/player, I have it installed and use it from time to time when in X.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: