View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jschweg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: X11 Video Driver Confusion Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm not new to linux in general, however I am new to Gentoo and have also never really used Linux as anything other than a server OS (Until now that is). I'm confused about a few things and hope to have some of these questions cleared up.

I got a little ahead of myself and compiled xorg-x11 without reading the How-To first. I didn't set the VIDEO_CARD variable in the make.conf (I have an nvidia card). Can I go back and add that variable, then re-emerge xorg-x11?

Also I don't really understand the whole video driver thing :oops: . Do I need to emerge the nvidia-driver package to get X working (or do you need it to use the above variable?), or is this just for hardware acceleration? When I used to use linux years ago, I thought that I just built the support for the video card into the kernel.
wah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I got a little ahead of myself and compiled xorg-x11 without reading the How-To first. I didn't set the VIDEO_CARD variable in the make.conf (I have an nvidia card). Can I go back and add that variable, then re-emerge xorg-x11?

Yes - just add that variable to your make.conf and do an emerge -vuDNa

Quote:

Also I don't really understand the whole video driver thing :oops: . Do I need to emerge the nvidia-driver package to get X working (or do you need it to use the above variable?), or is this just for hardware acceleration? When I used to use linux years ago, I thought that I just built the support for the video card into the kernel.

The variable declaration above will pull in what you need based on what you set - ie, if you put nv, nvidia as your VIDEO_CARDS, then portage will pull the nv module and the nvidia-drivers package in as dependencies.

HTH,
W.
- Registered Linux User #418541
jschweg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it.

Only issue is that when I run:

Code:
emerge -vuDNa

It just comes back like I didn't type the parameters correctly.
jschweg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was I supposed to type:

Code:
emerge xorg-x11 -vuDNa

?
wah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jschweg wrote:
Was I supposed to type:

Code:
emerge xorg-x11 -vuDNa

?

Sorry it was late in the day for me - should be emerge -vuDNa world

My apologies :oops:

Cheers,
W.
- Registered Linux User #418541
jschweg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, I'm getting closer now, but still having some problems.

On my inital install, I chose to use the LiveCD kernel, which means that there isn't a copy of gentoo-sources in /usr/src. During the xorg emerge it did install gentoo-sources, but obviously there was no .config file to edit when it went to install the nvidia package, so the emerge terminated.

Now that the src is installed, do I need to build a kernel to generate a .config, then re-emerge xorg-x11? Of course when I use pretend now, it doesn't show the nvidia package as a dependancy anymore...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: