Building a laptop linux from my Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NaturalRandom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Building a laptop linux from my Gentoo Reply with quote

I have a laptop, 1Ghz Duron, 20 GB Hard Drive and 384M of RAM(previously 128) which I "inherited"(more like she got a new one) from my sister.
The plan here is to use my AMD64 to compile and setup everything remotely from my Gentoo desktop and then transfer all the files to the laptop once it is done. :twisted:

However, I plan the laptop to be oblivious to its gentoo origin. That is, portage, compilation, etc will all be on the desktop.
Updates and whatnot would be provided by a rsync with my desktop, maybe once a month.

The question is, is it feasible to use the following link with some small modifications(to increase functionality, as uclibc installs are very crippled, from my experience)
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TinyGentoo
PMcCauley
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can build it on another system first but make sure your compile options are compatible with both systems. As you build the gentoo system you need to be able to run the programs you compile. Anyway you won't run into any problems I would expect just configure make.conf with the recommended settings for the Duron processor(http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags). I have done this many times it is usually quite easy. Usually once the system is built I will just tar it and burn to dvd (or copy over lan) then on other system repartition, reformat and untar. Then double check grub.conf and fstab(there may be other things I'm not remembering) and rerun grub install and done. Once you have your system built you can use distcc to compile on your notebook utilizing the desktop.

Patrick
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: