Madwifi driver instalation help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peace Frog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Madwifi driver instalation help Reply with quote

I'm having to install the madwifi driver for my wifi card and I'mhaving a few issues. I finaly got all kernel configuration options correct (I think) and now it refuses to make when I uncompress it. I get:

Code:

-/bin/bash: l: command not found

I couldn't get ifconfig to list any devices that would be affected by madwifi as 'up' so I didn't set any of them down. I did run the removal scripts as the guide suggests, but I'm still left with nothing. If anyone has any experience with madwifi (I have build 0.9.2.1) I'd appreciate a solution.

-Thanks
justwantstohelp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madwifi is also in portage: emerge madwifi-ng
Peace Frog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've booted to a minimal live cd environment and mounted my filesystem. I have to emerge madwifi this way because my gentoo instilation won't recognize my wired card... *sigh* I'm still getting an emerge command not found error. I appollogise if this is in the wrong section but why is emerge giving me a tissy fit? Am I using it in the wrong context or directory?

-Thanks
justwantstohelp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't emerge anything because the command is not found, you're in deeper trouble than just a missing wireless driver. I suggest a re-install.
Peace Frog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try it again in the morning and see if that fixes anything. Thanks for the headsup about the incuded package though. Shuttling back and forth trying to get the tar file on that box was a pain.

EDIT:
I'm learning a lot stumbling through this myself, but I'm going to anticipate a question I'll have tomorrow. Should I emerge the driver before I compile the kernel and usethe wireless connection to download the stage three tarball or after when its suggested that I install a system loger/dhcp service?

Second question is adding it to the startup routine. I guess what I want to know is once the module has been emerged will it auto-ad itself? or do I have to do that manualy? and if so, how?

EDIT2:
Alright i feel like an idiot now. I'm going to do what I should have figured to do in the first place.

-Thanks
Peace Frog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I got it emerged and it's happy with my kernel now. Next question is about adding it to startup. There is a note in the quick install guide about adding any other network driver modules. My problem is that I don't know what to call the madwifi module. Anyone have any experience here?

-Thanks
justwantstohelp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called ath_pci or ath-pci, the "-" and "_" character being synonyms. You can add it /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6. Good luck!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: