distcc with amd box and i686 box [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesheff17
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: distcc with amd box and i686 box [SOLVED] Reply with quote

alright today I finally learned how to bootstrap my machines for optimal performance. I let my amd_64 box run and run all day and finally finished installing everything. Now I want to make my amd box help out my other i686 box. I have looked at these how to's have went over everything and I can't seem to find what is wrong. I am looking at top on the amd box and it is always idle. So I know it is not working correctly. Is there anyway to tell that the client/server is correctly setup before I actually start the bootstrap?

These are the links that I am following:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cross-compiling-distcc.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml#bootstrapping
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml

Anyone have an issue where distcc just doesn't work? I would rather just have it fail then start bootstrapping the machine. I know you can't stop the bootstrap once it starts so restarting every time is kinda a pain. as far as I know I don't have anything complaining in the logs as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by thesheff17 on Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the distcc log-level to debug and check all that distcc is doing. Distccmon never really worked properly for me. I have an i686 cross-compiler on my amd64 box, and following those guides, distcc works fine.
thesheff17
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do I just put this in the server config file:

DISTCCD_OPTS="${DISTCCD_OPTS} --log-level debug"

when I do this it throws an error when I restart it.

/etc/init.d/distccd restart
* Caching service dependencies ... [ ok ]
* Stopping distccd ... [ ok ]
* Starting distccd ...
distccd[15304] (dcc_should_be_inetd) stdin is a tty; assuming --daemon mode
distccd[15304] (dcc_discard_root) discarded root privileges, changed to uid=240 gid=2 [ ok ]
localhost ~ #

Maybe I am not doing this right. Sorry I am new to editing all these config files and such.

Also after I get there server restarted and the other machine is bootstrapping will it try to hit the server again?
thesheff17
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it working. The only thing I didn't check was the config file and I had to modify this:

DISTCCD_OPTS="${DISTCCD_OPTS} --allow 10.1.10.0/24"

but why do I set this to debug and it throws the error from the above post.
thesheff17
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also if I increase this number will it use the remote servers more to compile?

MAKEOPTS="-j3"

my helper box is using only about 10%
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesheff17 wrote:
also if I increase this number will it use the remote servers more to compile?

MAKEOPTS="-j3"

my helper box is using only about 10%

Well, it will try to push compile jobs through faster I suppose, but if the machine isn't available, it won't make a difference. As the guide says, no. of available CPUs + 1 is the best option.

I am not sure what is wong with setting the log-level. I am not at my Linux machine at the moment, or I could have hecked that for you.
Meanwhile you can set a log-file up somewhere in say, /var/log/ make it writable be distcc (I think its group needs to be set up as distcc or distccd), and make changes to the distccd conf to redirect log output there.

A sign of high CPU activity would be the first thing to verify whether your machine is actually doing any compiling.
thesheff17
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the compiling is def moving over to the helper machine. I increased the number to 6 from 3 and I don't really see a difference. the helper box is about 80% idle when it is compiling. I am not complaining but I wish it would use 100% of the CPU and ram of the helper box because the helper box is about 10 times faster than the box that is compiling.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesheff17 wrote:
well the compiling is def moving over to the helper machine. I increased the number to 6 from 3 and I don't really see a difference. the helper box is about 80% idle when it is compiling. I am not complaining but I wish it would use 100% of the CPU and ram of the helper box because the helper box is about 10 times faster than the box that is compiling.

If your i686 box is quite slow compared to the amd64 one (not just clock speed, but amount of memory as well), you could shift all of the compiling over to it. That should get the CPU busy. Slow machines on a distcc setup can slow down compiling.
Just remove localhost or 127.0.0.1 from the distcc hosts file and see if the amd box starts working to its full potential.
thesheff17
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you runningwithscissors for the ideas. distcc rocks my world and I can't wait to get some more helper boxes up and running. I have some old P2 boxes laying around and I really don't use anything except gentoo. I really didn't want to wait to install it on there but now with distcc god I am going to load all of them up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: