VIA 8233 onboard Snd Crd, using alsa
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandazero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: VIA 8233 onboard Snd Crd, using alsa Reply with quote

Ne1 else experiencing sub par quality playback on any audio format?
also mplayer seems to be playing all files at an accelerated playback.
i cannot sleep at nite think at that people in my computer move faster then i do j/k :)

For those that own a Motherboard with this onboard audio device, and use it,
do you think alsa or oss will give you better quality.
i tired to search the forum for more information on alsa and via audio devices and didn't find much.

thanks.
FormerSlacker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this onboard chip is a bit odd. I myself have an onboard 8233. In windows the quality was acceptable; It wasn't the greatest, but it was good enough. Under linux it was just terrible. With both alsa and oss, it just sounded bad. I know this isn't a solution, but just save yourself some trouble and get another card. I had an old Ensoniq laying around, and while it's not the greatest soundcard, the difference between the two is night and day. It's too bad that the linux drivers for this onboard sound chipset aren't as good as the windows drivers.

To be fair, the 8233 is a real pos from what I've read.
furanku
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a known bug. You can find a description at sourceforge under the subject

[ 465387 ] VIA8233 / VIA VT1611A noisy playback

It seems like a problem with the samplerate setting. Some people (incl. me) report that setting the value to fixed value of 48 kHz fix the problem.

Try to set the samplerate to 48000 in the KDE control center. That is for me a good workaround. All aRts aware apps (incl. non KDE apps like xmms, xine and mplayer) have now a clean, undistorted audio output.

If you're not using KDE (or at least aRts) try something like
Code:
/usr/bin/mpg123 --au - $* | /usr/bin/sox -t au - -r 48000 -t wav - resample | /usr/bin/aplay

(found at the link above). The bug seems hard to track down, since there seems to be dependencies to other topics. For example SuSE 7.2 and 8.0 showed that bug and the 48 kHz workaround fixed it (at least it for me). SuSE 8.1 didn't showed that bug (although it was never fixed). In SuSE 8.2 it was reintroduced and the workaround didn't work anymore.

Now I'm a happy Gentoo user. The vanilla gentoo kernel sources compiled with CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe" and the 48 kHz trick under KDE give me an audio quality that's as good as that of the windows drivers.

Hope that helps you,
Frank
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: