View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xvalentinex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: [RESOLVED] Murrine and firefox-bin Reply with quote

Hello all,

I recently discovered the murrine engine for gtk, I am quite pleased with it. The one gotcha is it doesn't work properly on firefox-bin. I am on an amd64 machine, and so to have mplayerplug-in, flash, etc work properly I use firefox-bin which is 32-bit. I imagine it doesn't display Murrine well because it lacks the "gnome" use flag, because the regular firefox compiled as 64 bit works fine.

Is there a way on my amd64 machine to compile firefox locally as 32-bit? Or, better yet, get firefox-bin to display the murrine engine properly.

Any help is appreciated

Last edited by xvalentinex on Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
mjrosenb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can try a 32 bit chroot. :? There are instructions on http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=2
2x dual proc i386 w/dragonfly bsd
1x x86-64 desktop w/ Gentoo
1x i386 desktop w/ FreeBSD
1x alpha workstation w/ Gentoo
looking for more
xvalentinex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice mrjrosenb. That's a bit more involved than I was looking for, but may be the only way to get it work.

As I've been doing research (mind you my title n00b is very fitting) it appears the firefox-bin uses the libs from package emul-linux-x86-gtklibs. I believe my true problem is not with firefox-bin, but that I compiled the murrine engine as 64bit and firefox-bin is looking to the 32bit emul libraries. The murrine engine is just two files:

/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libmurrine.la
/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libmurrine.so

I believe the only needed one is libmurrine.so. So I found a 32bit murrine rpm for suse that used gtk-2.10.0. I extracted libmurrine.so and copied it to:

/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libmurrine.so

All this had no effect on the browser. Should this have worked? Am I missing a step? Does it matter that SuSE had this file destined for /opt/gnome/lib and not /usr/lib?

As always, any help is much appreciated.
xvalentinex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Resolved: Reply with quote

OK, I got it working great. I think the problem from the step above is that plugin was looking in a different directory to get it's themes.

For anyone that comes along in the future I had to compile this from a tarball using the following commands.

Code:
wget http://cimi.netsons.org/media/download_gallery/murrine/murrine-0.31.tar.bz2
tar xjvf murrine-0.31.tar.bz2
cd murrine-0.31
./configure --prefix=/emul/linux/x86/usr --datadir=/usr  CFLAGS=-m32 LDFLAGS=-L/emul/linux/x86/usr/ GTK_LIBS=/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib32/
make
make install

I had the following emul packages installed, I don't know which ones were actually needed or not, except that emul-linux-x86-gtklibs is needed for sure.
emul-linux-x86-xlibs
emul-linux-x86-gtklibs
emul-linux-x86-soundlibs
emul-linux-x86-sdl
emul-linux-x86-compat
emul-linux-x86-java
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: