JACK and ALSA Capture
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: JACK and ALSA Capture Reply with quote

I have a real nice electric piano that I want to record. I ran a mono 1/4" cable from the headphone out jack to the line in on my emu10k1 sound card with a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.

Turning the line playback volume up, I can hear the sounds just fine (it sounds great). But I need to capture the audio with JACK so I can record it. So I check in alsamixer that line is set to capture, it is. I mute line playback, and I start up jack with qjackctl and I connect alsa_pcm capture to alsa_pcm playback. I hear nothing. So apparently the line input isn't being captured, or jack just isn't transporting the captures sound to the playback pcm... What's wrong here?
Coltie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack can actually send the sound through the input from the record line to the output.

You probably messed up with the monitoring or other capture input.

Did you try to unmute some others input or to pull their volume up? You probably did, but...
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still got this problem. Is there a package I need to be able to do this or something?
Coltie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

hu... well... I think you don't need any other package as your monitoring is already working. I've really no idea why, but recording in linux looks like giving lots of trouble to many people... damn, it should be easy! It tooks me hours to configure alsamixer to get it, and I think I'm not alone... (mute or UNmute some lines, the capture thing,... well... ). The only thing I can say is that you may try without jack (through audacity for example) or not, and well, if you messed completly with alsamixer... maybe it'll work some day :cry:

good luck.
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coltie wrote:
hi,

hu... well... I think you don't need any other package as your monitoring is already working. I've really no idea why, but recording in linux looks like giving lots of trouble to many people... damn, it should be easy! It tooks me hours to configure alsamixer to get it, and I think I'm not alone... (mute or UNmute some lines, the capture thing,... well... ). The only thing I can say is that you may try without jack (through audacity for example) or not, and well, if you messed completly with alsamixer... maybe it'll work some day :cry:

good luck.

Oh, good idea with the audacity test :wink: I'll get it working eventually, just like every other linux problem I've had.
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still havent got it working :( If I set capture to line, unmute line playback, and put the line volume up to about 71 I can hear it, but for some reason jack can't capture it :x

So.. still the same problem :oops:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: