Brand New and wondering what to do
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dakine320
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Brand New and wondering what to do Reply with quote

Im getting very tired of windows and ive been looking at runinng linux on my desktop and im wondering whats the best distro to use for a beginner i will also be doing quite a bit of gaming and im wondering is gentoo right for this or sould i try something else?
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand New and wondering what to do Reply with quote

dakine320 wrote:
Im getting very tired of windows and ive been looking at runinng linux on my desktop and im wondering whats the best distro to use for a beginner i will also be doing quite a bit of gaming and im wondering is gentoo right for this or sould i try something else?

For gaming, stick to windows. Other than Unreal Tornament and games from id software (Quake 4, too even though released by Raven), other mainstream games are a bit iffy to get running.

For a beginner distro, try:
Ubuntu/PCLinuxOS/Fedora Core

To jump in at the deep end, follow this link:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide on trying Fedora you are most welcome to PM or mail me if you need help. Gaming might be hard, there's really not a fit all solution to running your Windows games reliably under Linux - things like WINE and Cedega work for a number of popular games but has never done much for my existing collection. There are a number of really good entirely free games you can install which would be my suggestion while you are learning, maybe dual booting Windows to have a platform where you know your games work while we are getting your Linux skills built up.
dakine320
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I konw i can use cedaga and wine ( i play wow and Counterstrike) i tyred the gentoo live cd but for some reason i could not emerge gnome due the the fact that i dont have a net conection i did the networkless (its a joke) i will admit this i lied when i was in colege i used the Scratch distro for about an hr or so but im looking to try new stuff mostly and i really hate microsoft...
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like debian, ubuntu, archlinux and knoppix. I would stay away from fedora or mandr-whatever, they really suck (in my humble opinion, of course :P )
dakine320
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thank you all for your input
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to spend time building and learning about your computer (when I say "time" I mean it usually takes 2 days to get a working system if you do everything perfectly, you'll probably spend half a week learning the system), and you want to get away from Windows, I'd recommend PCLinuxOS. But I think Gentoo is better. Just feeling the thrill of getting that system up and running the first time... The feeling of accomplishment, along with the vast store of knowledge you gain and total control you get over your PC, is awesome.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: