View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackhorse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Gentoo vs. Windows: No Comparison Reply with quote

Recently my dad had me install a computer, dual boot windows 2K and Gentoo, as a learning experience. It is my second time installing Gentoo. I partitioned the hard drive with fdisk, then installed windows. It all went on ok, and then booted. Of course the Windows 2K install disk did not have any of the drivers needed for sound or networking. :roll: I had to go onto another computer and download them off the net. So I am finally on the net, and the first thing I have to do is: UPDATE it!? I tell it to do all of the critical updates, and then I have to reboot, only to find that there were thirty more critical updates to do. :x One of which refuses to work or give a decent error message. Then comes the breath of fresh air, INSTALLING GENTOO!!! That went very well, and I only have a little more to do, i.e. emerge kde :? . All this to say, thank you to all of you out there who have made gentoo possible, it is great.

Last edited by blackhorse on Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never get tired of hearing these stories. XD It is quite sad how MS has brainwashed people into thinking that things such as virii and crashing are normal. :\

If there was one word I would use to describe Windows 95, it would be "demonic". I mean, you could reboot that thing and it would come back up with everything you were just doing. Heck, I even managed to get it to the point where it said "Are you sure you want to uninstall Windows?" and it only gave me an "Ok" option. I was around 5 years old at the time so I am not sure whether or not it was a virus, but either way it did not go away even after a hard reset of the system.

Windows is less demonic now and has become more annoying than anything else. However, I used to have nightmares about viruses in my computer and crap like that when I was younger thanks to Windows. Yeah, I seriously had nightmares about that crap. :\ When I still used Windows I did not have nightmares, merely just paranoia about data loss which I am still getting over but seeing that I have had Gentoo installed forever without major problems that is slowly working itself out of my system.

I would like to thank Gentoo for breaking me from that damned world. :)
blackhorse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that I did not mention is that I ended up rebooting NINE times while I was installing it? It is really annoying, especially since once it told me to check the box down below if I wanted to reboot later, but the box was, you guessed it, greyed out! I had a dream that night that it told me the same thing only there was no box at all. :lol:

Whoever heard of so many major updates on a newly installed gentoo box :D . Gentoo works way better that windows and costs much much less. :wink:
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and nothing beats plugging in USB devices and having them just work since all the drivers you need for them is in the kernel already. Heck, I can also use all of the axises on my Gravis Eliminator Aftershock with the generic HID drivers whereas the official drivers in Windows only gave me the use of one of them. <3 Gentoo :D
AllTom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackhorse wrote:
Whoever heard of so many major updates on a newly installed gentoo box :D .

How was it different from doing a networkless install (or even using a portage snapshot, or running an emerge sync after a few weeks) and performing an "emerge -u world" though? A reboot would take much less time than compiling a month's worth of updates, and your Windows CD ("snapshot") is much older than that.

At any rate, I would rather have Linux than Windows. I just wanted to make you think. :)
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is different because Gentoo is not rendered useless while updating it. I can still play games and such while things emerge, but that is a lot harder in Windows especially since it reboots.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only time you have to reboot gentoo/linux is a kernel upgrade, everything else can be done through a X restart or a start/stop service.

True Gentoo on the long side of a linux install. I convinced a mate to install linux (suggested Mandrake). I met him through my DC clan so only contact is MSN. I was able to get all the info abt his comp easy enough. A quick use of partition magic to resize his windows partition and also pre-make swap and root. Then a quick "everything is easy, just two scary points"

30min later he was on aMSN chatting saying fooking ell it all worked first time, got him to do a secuity update et al and no problems.

equally got a mate at work to use mandrake and he has noticed that is BlueYonder BB (same as me) is about 120k/s download while under windows it is only 80k/sec

And the best bit, efter a dodgy nvidia driver emerge after an overnight big emerge of the last GNOME upgrade (plus a timed "shutdown -h +240") my wife got home from work earlier, she doesn't care what we use as long as it works when she needs it (she is use to linux now). But linux was borked (default for grub)

got her to choose windows. Got a phonecall about 5min later saying it took soo long to boot and progs took soo long to start and... good old Gentoo and custom CFLAG ;)
blackhorse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllTom wrote:
blackhorse wrote:
Whoever heard of so many major updates on a newly installed gentoo box :D .

How was it different from doing a networkless install (or even using a portage snapshot, or running an emerge sync after a few weeks) and performing an "emerge -u world" though? A reboot would take much less time than compiling a month's worth of updates, and your Windows CD ("snapshot") is much older than that.

At any rate, I would rather have Linux than Windows. I just wanted to make you think. :)

I know, but my dad helped set up a brand new preinstalled windows box for a coworker, and he still had to do a TON of updates on it. That means 3 hrs. on five different websites on a t1 connection. Mine did not even have that many.
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windows no longer installs on my computer. the setup cd boots to a black screen. this is for 64 bit or 32 bit. both cds were used once in the past and are free from scratches or other damage...

not sure why. it worked one time.
malone
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo vs. Windows: No Comparison Reply with quote

blackhorse wrote:
So I am finally on the net, and the first thing I have to do is: UPDATE it!? I tell it to do all of the critical updates, and then I have to reboot, only to find that there were thirty more critical updates to do. :x One of which refuses to work or give a decent error message.

It's even worse than just MS. I recently re-did the XP partition on my girlfriends laptop for reasons everyone here knows. Got out the Norton Internet Security 2003 disc. It's a little dated, so I expect some large updates. What do I get? FIVE reboots to get Norton up to date. Grrrr. Is it just a fact of using windows or is it that commercial software is often just as sloppy (or more so) than some open source stuff? I rebooted her machine more in that one day than my desktop has seen in the past year. I'm glad I don't have to put up with that shit anymore 8)
PhotonX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had my windows machine crash once, nor have i ever gotten a virus. I think you just dont know how to use windows ;)
blackhorse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have been behind a firewall, not used internet explorer, outlookexpress, and not used it much then, if it is anything like the windows boxes in my experience. Even the least used ones got bit rot over several years and games just stopped working. And if the crummy (most of the time :) ) performance is not enough, did you know that you had to call and ask microsoft if it is ok to wipe your disk on an xp machine?
PhotonX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackhorse wrote:
You must have been behind a firewall, not used internet explorer, outlookexpress, and not used it much then, if it is anything like the windows boxes in my experience. Even the least used ones got bit rot over several years and games just stopped working. And if the crummy (most of the time :) ) performance is not enough, did you know that you had to call and ask microsoft if it is ok to wipe your disk on an xp machine?

i use all of those except outlook express, and i use it every day. I do have a linux router/firewall though, so that might be why, but i dont think so because my brother gets viruses on his computer.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slowdown with XP gets me. Point in case - I've had a Gentoo install ticking over for 9-10 months now, the same one - I've had to restore from a backup twice (my own screw-ups here), but it's still the same one.

Before Gnu/Linux - Gentoo, I always advocated a spring-clean of Windows every 6 months or so, a fresh install. Recently dusted off an old machine with XP on it. Lord it's slow, initial boot-up is actually about the same (ish - maybe a little quicker) as Gentoo with KDE, then you get to loading MSN .. yadda yadda ... while your system is paralyzed.

I know what I'm doing with Windows as well :) The same ain't 100% true for Gentoo (yet) and no-slow down, I'm immune to viruses - spyware - the only downer is I work with Windows and .. erm.. VB (the shame).
blackhorse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while when I was first getting gentoo up and running (not including a window manager) I was booting off of a Knoppix cd, and windows was going the same speed or slower it seemed, it could not have been going much faster.
MdaG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My XP box runs fairly well too, but I feel it's bloated and slow compared to my Gentoo box. But some things still work better in XP for me (SSH, games, WLAN), but as I get better hopefully two of those will be solved.
Raffi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhotonX wrote:
Never had my windows machine crash once, nor have i ever gotten a virus. I think you just dont know how to use windows ;)

Ya, I have one I keep off in a closet as well. :wink:
PhotonX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffi wrote:
PhotonX wrote:

ha. ha. um, you're funny.
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhotonX wrote:
Raffi wrote:
PhotonX wrote:

Nah I'm with Raffi on this one, how on earth did you manage that? Avoiding virii isn't difficult (at least until Blaster and Sasser and mutant jpegs came along) but saying it's never crashed once?
The last time mine crashed I tried something dead sneaky like double clicking on "My Shared Bluetooth Places" or whatever it's called. Totally repeatable too... Suffice to say I'm not using Bluetooth under Windows any more.
PhotonX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archangel1 wrote:
PhotonX wrote:
Raffi wrote:
PhotonX wrote:

Nah I'm with Raffi on this one, how on earth did you manage that? Avoiding virii isn't difficult (at least until Blaster and Sasser and mutant jpegs came along) but saying it's never crashed once?
The last time mine crashed I tried something dead sneaky like double clicking on "My Shared Bluetooth Places" or whatever it's called. Totally repeatable too... Suffice to say I'm not using Bluetooth under Windows any more.

I dont know, i guess im lucky. That or i built my system carefully, kept it at a good temperature, didnt OC, didnt install shit i didnt need, and kept a clean power source.
Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhotonX wrote:
I dont know, i guess im lucky. That or i built my system carefully, kept it at a good temperature, didnt OC, didnt install shit i didnt need, and kept a clean power source.

My system is a hackshack of various cheap components, it has damaged coolers and run way too hot, the sound card has a damaged PCI bus, I think it was damaged by foolish overclocking a few years back, I have several gigabytes of random software installed, and the power source is just about as dirty as they come.

Gentoo doesn't crash.
blackhorse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who has an older gateway 2500 laptop, and it had windows on it when she got it. It was running more that painfully slow, and then she ran a bunch of spy-ware and virus killers on it, and I am not sure of the exact amount but I know that both were in the double digits. I convinced her to run Linux on it, but the laptop itself could not run Gentoo, so I installed Fedora Core 3, and it took a good portion of my night away (that's how slow the laptop was) then my dad got fvwm on it and it runs MUCH faster. My friend is looking forward to the day she can get a fast enough laptop for gentoo :D .
PhotonX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athas wrote:
PhotonX wrote:

My system is a hackshack of various cheap components, it has damaged coolers and run way too hot, the sound card has a damaged PCI bus, I think it was damaged by foolish overclocking a few years back, I have several gigabytes of random software installed, and the power source is just about as dirty as they come.

Gentoo doesn't crash.

Hmm, i guess ill build a system like that and tell you that windows doesnt crash on that either.
robet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackhorse: you've got a cool dad. :wink:
Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhotonX wrote:
Hmm, i guess ill build a system like that and tell you that windows doesnt crash on that either.

Sure, do that. As a side note, Windows is pretty much unusable on my system, since I've got one of the first Audigy Classic cards that were produced. You know, the ones with the horrible screech of death bug, that completely halts the relevant machine. I haven't experienced that bug in any non-Windows operating system yet. I find it very amusing that my hardware isn't Windows-compatible. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: