quit on init with QuickSilver (G4)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: quit on init with QuickSilver (G4) Reply with quote

I'm having trouble installing Gentoo on a QuickSilver PowerMac. When I boot into the Kernel it gets as far as:
Code:
kjornald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-FS: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
VFS: mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 200k init
I took this drive and put it in another G4 (AGP Graphics) and it booted fine, with no errors. Is there something special about the QuickSilver one must remember when compiling the kernel?

Background
Here is a little more background: I am installing from a 2005.1 Gentoo CD, which, while a bit old, has served me well in several Mac upgrades (3 G4s of various sorts, 2 G3 B&Ws). I did an upgrade to the newest compiler, and all else (emerge -vauDN world) in the chrooted environment on the QuickSilver, I then compiled a 2.6.18-gentoo-r3 kernel using
Code:
livecd / # emerge --info | head -n2
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.6
Portage 2.1.1-r2 (default-linux/ppc/ppc32/2006.1/G4, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.4-r4, 2.6.12-gentoo-r6-ppc32 ppc)
in the chrooted environment, just as was successful on the other G4s. I use the non-genkernal method, but am considering breaking down and giving genkernal a try since the minimal CD can boot on the QuickSilver. After yabootconfig outside of the chroot, I reboot, but it hangs at the spot mentioned above.

The G4 that the kernel doesn't work on is:
Code:
livecd / # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : 7450, altivec supported
clock           : 866MHz
revision        : 0.1 (pvr 8000 0201)
bogomips        : 862.20

total bogomips  : 862.20
machine         : PowerMac3,5
motherboard     : PowerMac3,5 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
detected as     : 69 (PowerMac G4 Silver)
pmac flags      : 00000010
L2 cache        : 256K unified
memory          : 512MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

The G4 that the exact same hard drive does work in is:
Code:
mike@giddy ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : 7400, altivec supported
temperature     : 7-9 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 400.000000MHz
revision        : 2.9 (pvr 000c 0209)
bogomips        : 49.66
timebase        : 24907667
platform        : PowerMac
machine         : PowerMac3,3
motherboard     : PowerMac3,3 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
detected as     : 65 (PowerMac G4 AGP Graphics)
pmac flags      : 00000014
L2 cache        : 1024K unified
pmac-generation : NewWorld

I also tried an old 2.6.17-gentoo-r9 kernel, but get the samething. In every case, the flags I'm using are
Code:

livecd / # grep FLAGS /etc/make.conf
CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=G4 -mtune=G4 -maltivec -mabi=altivec -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
livecd / # grep USE /etc/make.conf
USE="unicode emacs fam xml curl java escreen nsplugin pdf"
with the profile shown in the emerge --info above.

I'm hoping this isn't something hard, but rather a stupid thing I'm just not seeing. Any ideas?

More background
Kernel config and lshw on QuickSilver at: http://www.pdc.kth.se/~mike/Gentoo/

Thanks for any advice & happy new year! :D
/Mike

Last edited by iMike on Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see anything wrong with the config (I just skimmed it), but you could try make pmac32_defconfig before compiling the kernel. This configuration should work on all Power Macs.

If that doesn't make a difference, can you try booting with init=/bin/bash appended to your kernel boot parameters? This should boot into bash instead of trying to start init. From here, we can try manually starting init and see what exactly is causing the problem.
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseJX,

I tried something very close to pmac32_defconfig (started with pmac32_defconfig and only added reiserfs, and lvm2 support), but still no go.

So, going with Plan B, do I add the init=/bin/bash after the kernel name, just as one would with a Gentoo install CD:
Code:

boot: kernel-2.6.18-gentoo-r3 init=/bin/bash
If so, is there anything special I should do once within this environment? Sorry for being so helpless here. I didn't even know this option existed! Googling around a bit I see O'Reilly's " Linux Kernel in a Nutshell" covers kernel options. Any other good sources? Guess I've been lucky up to now with the kernels I've built.

By the way, it is interesting that the newest Gentoo 2006.1 experimental CD crashes in the sameI place when I try to boot this machine with it. I think it gets marginally further with the last line produced "Loading modules". I believe the same CD works with the other, old G4s, I have.

I'm glad you gave me the tip about the init option. The only thing I could think to do next was try vanilla kernels.

Best regards,
/Mike
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure now since the 2006.1 CD doesn't work either. Does 2006.0 work? Does using the kernel from the last working CD work with the new installation?
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home now, and after trying things out I can see that booting the Gentoo 2006.1 CD makes it through to different places before crashing, and last time I tried it said "Loading modules....". I have now tried my entire arsenal of Gentoo CDs (back to 2005) with the following results, from newest to oldest CD:

l2006.1 live cd experimental (downloaded 2006-12-3):
Code:

Freeing unused kernel memory: xxxk init
Loading Modules
Activating udev
Making tmpf for /newroot
Attempting to mount CD:- /dev/hda

Occaisionally, it gets to repeating the above line with:
Code:

Attempting to mount CD:- /dev/hda1
Attempting to mount CD:- /dev/hda2
Attempting to mount CD:- /dev/hda3

I also tried with this CD:
Code:

boot: ppc32 nodetect ide=nodma scandelay=20

But that did not help.

2006.1 minimal (2006-9-1):
Code:

hda 625142448 sectors 320072 MB...
hda: cache flushes supported
hda:

<crash>
On another run, it made is as far as the first CD mentioned (i.e., hung on mounting /dev/hda...)
I also tried:
Code:

boot: apple ide=nodma scandelay=10

Did not work.

2006.0 minimal CD (2006-03-11):
Save as first CD mentioned

2005.1 minimal CD (2005-07-31):
Works! This is where I started.

I tried booting with:
Code:

boot: apple init=/bin/bash

or
Code:

boot: ppc32 init=/bin/bash

(depending on the kernel name) but it made no difference.

(1) Is there a way around the problem with trying to load the CD off of /dev/hda?
(2) How would I go about getting the Kernel (and I assume initramfs) from the CD?

/Mike
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is starting to look more like a kernel issue rather than a configuration issue. 2005.1 shipped with a 2.6.12 kernel (ugh). First, try with 2.6.20_rc3 to see if it's been fixed in a recent kernel. If it hasn't, you can get older versions of the kernel from kernel.org, but start with the last version of 2.6.14 (2006.0 shipped with 2.6.15), then 2.6.13, then 2.6.12. You're trying to find the last kernel that worked. :) After this, we can try a git bisect to see if we can figure out exactly what broke.
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see 2.6.20_r3 in portage, so I assume you mean go to www.kernel.org and download it myself.

Being somewhat lazy, I downloaded the latest ~ppc vanilla from portage, which was 2.6.19.1. It compiled OK, but when I rebooted, there was still a problem. I did this remotely, so when I'm home, I'll check and see what the console messages are.

I'm wondering about the likelihood that this really is a kernel problem. The QuickSilver has been out since around 2002. Surely someone else would have noticed a problem with it before. It there anyway to get more messages from the kernel so I can tell what is going on at init? (As mentioned, using init=/bin/bash did not change the messages I received when booting with the 2006.1 minimal CD, which in fact occaisionally did make it through "Loading Modules" and hung on the getting CD image from /dev/hda part.)

This is currently the fastest machine I have at home, so it would be a pitty if I couldn't get it going with Gentoo. I will ultimately try 2.6.20_r3, but if THAT fails too, (and the same disk boots in another G4), then I'll probably have to try some other not-as-nice distro like FC6 or openSUSE. Now that would be sad.

/Mike
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and the result from trying a 2.6.19.1 vanilla kernel is exactly the same :( . I took the disk with said 2.6.19.1 kernel and moved it to another G4. It booted without problem. I then replaced the graphics card and the memory from the QuickSilver with those from the working G4, still in hopes that it is basically a hardware problem. This also did not solve the problem.

I'm not sure I'm gonig to be able to keep to my promise of not bathing until I get some resolution to this. :twisted:
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone advise me on exactly how I make the 2.6.20-r3 out of the 2.6.19.1 and the patch from www.kernel.org? I downloaded linux-2.6.19.1.tar.bz2 and patch-2.6.20-rc3.bz2 from a kernel.org mirror, then--with both linux-2.6.19.1.tar.bz2 bunziped and in its original form--I tried
Code:

patch -p0 < patch-2.6.20-rc3

but it wants a file. If I try
Code:
patch -p0 linux-2.6.19.1.tar.bz2 patch-2.6.20-rc3
that doesn't work either. I just don't do enough patching and diffing I guess. :oops: Anyway, I didn't see anything directly helpful off of http://kernelnewbies.org/Documents, could you advice?

Best regards,
/Mike
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The _rc patches are against the previous 2.6.x release. So you need to patch against 2.6.19, not 2.6.19.1. Usually, there's a version in vanilla-sources, but I guess someone's falling behind. :p I'll look into it.
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries about getting 2.6.19 in portage. I downloaded it directly from a kernel.org mirror. I then successfully applied the patch for 2.6.20-r3. The result was at least different. It gives an oops at the point of the trouble earlier (i.e., init), but then hangs on checking the root file system. I double checked that there is nothing wrong with root, so I think the problem there is it never successfully comes out of the kernel oops. :cry:

So, it was back to the future. I tried to get gentoo-sources for 2.6.12-gentoo-r6, the same kernel on the 2005.1 CD that successfully boots. Unfortunately, that is not in portage. I went ahead and downloaded 2.6.12.6 from kernels.org and compiled that. To my extremely pleasure, it booted perfectly. :D Now I can skip the drudgery of booting from CD and manually mounting all those LVM volumes by hand just to check a kernel! Hooray!

I don't think it's quite right to mark this post as SOLVED, but perhaps it is for now. The real problem is of course: when did the kernel stop supporting this particular PowerPC model, and what should one do about that? I don't have a ton of time to debug kernel problems. Are there good tools in Gentoo portage for trying that? Any other advice?

Best regards,
/iMike
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the best thing to do would be to determine the kernel which actually screws up. Try all of the kernels between the known working and the known not working. The easiest way to "debug" this is actually to determine which patch broke it, otherwise, there's too many possibilities to easily determine the issue. Once you have found the kernel version that broke it, you can perform a git bisect to determine which patch is the culprit. Yes, it's time consuming, but it's really the easiest way.
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, JoseJX, I have now been busy compiling kernels for the machine and can report that the problem lies between vanilla-2.6.14.7 (the last of the 2.6.14 line) and vanilla-2.6.15.1 (the first of the 2.6.15 line). This took a fair amount of time to determine, so I'd like to see the information used somehow. But what now? Is this something I take up with the kernel.org folks? Are there some tools in gentoo to help? Where do I find out about the "git bisection" you mention?

Best regards,
/iMike

BTW: The following vanilla kernels were tested and found to work:
Code:

The following did NOT work, all failing (typically) at:
Code:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 176 init
usb 1-1.1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
Code:

2.6.15-gentoo-r1
2.6.17-gentoo-r8
2.6.17-gentoo-r9
2.6.18-gentoo-r3
2.6.20-rc3
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that's a good first step. (no groaning!) :)

Now that you know where the problem is occurring, we need to figure out which patch was the patch that actually broke things. To do this, we'll use the git bisect procedure as outlined here:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/isolate-bugs-with-bisect.txt

Basically, you'll want to start like this:
Code:

$ emerge git
 $ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git linux-2.6
 $ git bisect start
 $ git bisect bad v2.6.15
 $ git bisect good v2.6.14

Now, it will work for a while and it will revert half (or so) of the patches between the working and bad version. You compile this kernel and test to see if it works. If it works, you tell it that it's working (or not) with git bisect good (or git bisect bad). Keep doing this for a while and it should figure out which patch is the one that broke it. It's time consuming, but it will really help to determine where the problem lies.
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the further information. I am now trying it, but have run into another snag. My current idea for a work around is to disable sound and try again. Here is exactly what happened. Note that the starting point for the following commands is in directory /root:
Code:
quicky ~ # mkdir Git
quicky ~ # cd Git/
quicky Git # git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git linux-2.6
remote: Generating pack...
remote: Done counting 399150 objects.
remote: Deltifying 399150 objects.
remote:  100% (399150/399150) done
Indexing 399150 objects.
remote: Total 399150, written 399150 (delta 317678), reused 397912 (delta 316688)
 100% (399150/399150) done
Resolving 317678 deltas.
 100% (317678/317678) done
Checking files out...
 100% (21275/21275) done
quicky Git # git bisect start
fatal: Not a git repository: '.git'
quicky Git # ls
linux-2.6
quicky Git # ls linux-2.6/
COPYING  Documentation  MAINTAINERS  README          arch   crypto   fs       init  kernel  mm   scripts   sound
CREDITS  Kbuild         Makefile     REPORTING-BUGS  block  drivers  include  ipc   lib     net  security  usr
quicky Git # cd linux-2.6/
quicky linux-2.6 # git bisect start
quicky linux-2.6 # git bisect bad v2.6.15
quicky linux-2.6 # git bisect good v2.6.14
Bisecting: 2705 revisions left to test after this
[dd0314f7bb407bc4bdb3ea769b9c8a3a5d39ffd7] fbcon: Initialize new driver when old driver is released
quicky Git # cd ..
quicky Git # mv linux-2.6/ /usr/src/.
quicky Git # cd /usr/src/linux-2.6
quicky linux-2.6 # zcat /proc/config.gz > .config   (the current kernel is  2.6.14.7)
quicky linux-2.6 # make oldconfig
[...]
quicky linux-2.6 # make && make modules_install
[... compiles quit awhile before hitting the following]
  LD [M]  net/ipv6/xfrm6_tunnel.ko
  CC      net/xfrm/xfrm_user.mod.o
  LD [M]  net/xfrm/xfrm_user.ko
  CC      sound/soundcore.mod.o
  LD [M]  sound/soundcore.ko
ln: target `ref/source' is not a directory
make: *** [_modinst_] Error 1

A bug in git or should I have not moved linux-2.6 from its original location (/root)? In light of the fact that I built the kernel to be monolithic (no modules need to be loaded) and that vmlinux did successfully get built by git, I guess this message may not make any difference at all and can be ignored. Right?

/Mike
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it since it's just modules, and like you said, you're not using any. :)
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been through a few iteration of git bisect now (tested 5 kernels), but unfortunately, hit a (real) problem now. After the original:
Code:

Bisecting: 2705 revisions left to test after this
[dd0314f7bb407bc4bdb3ea769b9c8a3a5d39ffd7] fbcon: Initialize new driver when old driver is released

I worked through:
Code:

quicky linux-2.6 # git bisect bad
Bisecting: 1353 revisions left to test after this
[e040f218bb49a6965a5b77edce05fe47a62dda39] mm: copy_pte_range progress fix
Bisecting: 677 revisions left to test after this
<long number here in brackets, did not cut and paste> ppc64 PCI Hotplug: cleanup unsymmetric API routines
quicky linux-2.6 # git bisect good
Bisecting: 338 revisions left to test after this
[4f12bfe5a498747a9a66f135a67aa8e1caa819dc] HUB interrupts are allocated per node, not per slice.  Make manipulation
Bisecting: 167 revisions left to test after this
[1f419cadff55f548e7356ffebdb9e1b5a8c22275] Merge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/usb-2.6
Bisecting: 84 revisions left to test after this
[a6c82600d4058346ea6fd801bc21d7abcc1350d8] USB: delete the bluetty driver

In brief, one worked, and the other four did not. Just now, when trying to build the sixth one, however, I get:
Code:

<do make here as usual>
[...]
  CC      lib/radix-tree.o
  AR      lib/lib.a
  GEN     .version
  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
  UPD     include/linux/compile.h
  CC      init/version.o
  LD      init/built-in.o
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
drivers/built-in.o: In function `ehci_pci_resume':
ehci-hcd.c:(.text+0x204e4): undefined reference to `ehci_hub_resume'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `ehci_pci_suspend':
ehci-hcd.c:(.text+0x2173c): undefined reference to `ehci_hub_suspend'
ehci-hcd.c:(.text+0x21770): undefined reference to `ehci_hub_suspend'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

which does not rebuild vmlinux. I assume there is someway to either back out, or pick a "different" bisection. Any hints?

According to the link you sent me:
Quote:

It really works wonderfully well, except for the case where there was
_another_ commit that broke something in between, like introduced some
stupid compile error. In that case you should not mark that commit good or
bad: you should try to find another commit close-by, and do a "git reset
--hard <newcommit>" to try out _that_ commit instead, and then test that
instead (and mark it good or bad).

You can do "git bisect visualize" while you do all this to see what's
going on by starting up gitk on the bisection range.

But it's not clear to me how I figure out what <newcommit> should be. I built git with gtk, but the machine does not have X on it. Also, it is not clear to me where I get gitk from. Currently, I get:
Code:
quicky linux-2.6 # git bisect visualize
/usr/bin/git-bisect: line 164: gitk: command not found

If I do git help I see that perhaps git show-branch might be useful, but it dumps a really long list like:
Code:

[...]
 ++ [master~8338^2~63^2~5^2~18] hid-core: Add Clear-Halt on the Interrupt-in endpoint
 ++ [master~8338^2~63^2~5^2~19] USB: Always do usb-handoff
 ++ [master~8338^2~63^2~5^2~20] USB: cdc-acm patch to use kzalloc
 ++ [master~8338^2~63^2~5^2~21] USB: Improving the set of vendor/product IDs in the ipaq driver
 ++ [master~8338^2~63^2~5^2~22] USB: Kaweth.c udelay patch
 ++ [master~8338^2~63^2~5^2~23] USB: microtek patch to use kzalloc
 ++ [master~8338^2~63^2~5^2~24] USB: storage patch for LEICA camera
 ++ [master~8338^2~63^2~5^2~25] USB: always export interface information for modalias
 ++ [master~8338^2~63^2~5^2~26] USB Serial: remove driver version from a few drivers
 ++ [master~8338^2~63^2~5^2~27] USB Serial: move name to driver structure
 ++ [master~8338^2~63^2~5^2~28] USB Serial: move old changelog comments out of source code
 ++ [master~8338^2~63^2~5^2~29] USB Serial: get rid of the .owner field in usb_serial_driver
 ++ [master~8338^2~63^2~5^2~30] USB Serial: rename usb_serial_device_type to usb_serial_driver
*++ [bisect] USB: delete the bluetty driver

It's really not clear how to use that information either....

Thanks for any hints!
/Mike
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, it looks like you could just disable EHCI (USB 2.0) support and it should still compile fine. OCHI USB 1.1 should still compile fine and it looks like you could keep going.
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your advice was right on the money. I was able to proceed through several iterations more until git bisect gives the final answer as:
Code:
478a3bab8c87a9ba4a4ba338314e32bb0c378e62 is first bad commit
commit 478a3bab8c87a9ba4a4ba338314e32bb0c378e62
Author: Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu>
Date:   Wed Oct 19 12:52:02 2005 -0400

[PATCH] USB: Always do usb-handoff

This revised patch (as586b) makes usb-handoff permanently true and no
    longer a kernel boot parameter.  It also removes the piix3_usb quirk code;
    that was nothing more than an early version of the USB handoff code
    (written at a time when Intel's PIIX3 was about the only motherboard with
    USB support).  And it adds identifiers for the three PCI USB controller
    classes to pci_ids.h.

Signed-off-by: Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu>
    Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>

:040000 040000 706a8663c06a81b89a1bdfccb310a63724a3c111 036bcbd683d2430abad008bc99ce3dad81ee2660 M      Documentation
:040000 040000 58676fa9a86239c3d0d63d1b061476281630bcc8 d6e34cdd246bfadbe040a8219d87e9a631a35490 M      drivers
:040000 040000 1fa5fda9539c8aa3ba01fe8570711dbbddeb6d37 ad67b4c615fe8e090a2c6e8527e6295775231614 M      include

I would like to say I was 100% certain this is the problem, but when I did a careful review of the kernels I made after each bisect:
Code:
quicky linux-2.6 # ls -l /boot
total 57333
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  559084 Jan 12 01:14 System.map-2.6.14.7
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       1 Dec  6 16:20 boot -> .
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   29412 Jan 12 00:57 config-2.6.14.7
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4222498 Jan 12 01:14 kernel-2.6.14.7
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4191565 Jan 18 15:32 kernel-git1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4208736 Jan 21 20:27 kernel-git10
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4208736 Jan 21 21:04 kernel-git11
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4208736 Jan 21 21:04 kernel-git12
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4208736 Jan 21 23:06 kernel-git13
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4244457 Jan 19 10:37 kernel-git2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4234232 Jan 20 08:21 kernel-git3
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4244133 Jan 20 15:09 kernel-git4
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4244103 Jan 20 15:46 kernel-git5
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4209108 Jan 21 18:54 kernel-git6
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4191493 Jan 21 19:20 kernel-git7
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4209077 Jan 21 19:43 kernel-git8
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4209108 Jan 21 20:10 kernel-git9
drwx------ 2 root root   12288 Dec  5 17:15 lost+found
I see that kernel-git11 and kernel-git12 are exactly the same, implying that one of my decisions to say "bad" or "good" for a bisect was based on the wrong kernel :oops: Is there anyway to try to back out just this one patch to verify that it is indeed the problem? Otherwise, I guess I will either have to go through the whole process again, or carefully look through by naughty and nice list:
Code:
Bisecting: 1353 revisions left to test after this
[e040f218bb49a6965a5b77edce05fe47a62dda39] mm: copy_pte_range progress fix
Bisecting: 677 revisions left to test after this
<long number here in brackets> ppc64 PCI Hotplug: cleanup unsymmetric API routines
Bisecting: 338 revisions left to test after this
[4f12bfe5a498747a9a66f135a67aa8e1caa819dc] HUB interrupts are allocated per node, not per slice.  Make manipulation
Bisecting: 167 revisions left to test after this
[1f419cadff55f548e7356ffebdb9e1b5a8c22275] Merge master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/usb-2.6
Bisecting: 84 revisions left to test after this
[a6c82600d4058346ea6fd801bc21d7abcc1350d8] USB: delete the bluetty driver
Bisecting: 42 revisions left to test after this
[a74968f8c3b1166cfe0942901b56165f06ab6f60] [IB] umad: Fix device lifetime problems
[...]
pairing these responses with the kernels I build to see where I went wrong and try to take it again from there. Thanks for haning in there with me through this. I would still like to think the specific problem is nearly identified now. I hate to see it just slip away.

/iMike
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, just start again with git bisect start. Since you already know the result of the tests for the working/broken kernels for the previous tests, there's no need to do them again as long as you remember each one. :) There's probably also a way to start with a specific patch set, but I'm not sure how, I'd have to check the manual.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: