very new noob
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowstick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: very new noob Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I have a buddy that has instaled (or is installing) gentoo on my desktop. He is doing a dualboot so the wife doesnt have to loose her stinking windows. Anyways he is very busy so I would like to learn how to do basic stuff in gentoo and linux in general so I can take over for myself and not have to bug him. He doesnt mind but I feel bad about it. I agreed to let him do the install before I realised how much of his time it was going to take. I was wondering if there was somewhere I could start reading to get started? I have been reading the forums here and most of this is over my head. I can follow the basic instructions and know what a terminal is but thats about it. I was one of those guys that just turned the thing on and searched the web and did some things with my website which my friend also manages. I have bought a laptop from e-bay and plan on doing the install on that machine myself no matter how long it takes but I need to get up to speed before then. I would apprecate any direction in where to get started that you can give. I posted this becuse I figured you guys telling me what to study and what not to would be alot qucker than me figuring it out on my own. and are there any projects out there you think I should start doing or just stick with reading at the moment.
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the hand book, first off. It will teach you many interesting things.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

If your new laptop is a 64 bit one, check out:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml
slowstick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you think I am ready to start with the handbook even though my experiance so far has been strictly as a user
slowstick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and thanks for your quick response and tolerating my noob ?s
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course. Check it out. It teaches you how to administrate and install the system, and some cool tools to use too. If you have any specific questions, I can help you out.
bradbeglin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, this handbook provides command by command instructions to install a basic gentoo setup:

Gentoo Handbook

The manual does a pretty good job of summarizing choices at each step, if there are any, and provides files that have other information, ect. Once you get the basic install down or if you need help with a more specialized install (like the dual boot) check:

Gentoo Docs

Gentoo Wiki

The gentoo wiki is very good, and the how to section has step by step directions to do a dual boot install. Also, both of the above have articles that will help you get anything else working that you need (X, or Alsa, or Java, or a TV card, whatever). And of course, the forums are here. Also, check out the hardware section of the Gentoo Wiki. There are lots of articles written on installs for laptops, quite possible there is an article that is written for you specific laptop. Good Luck!
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Handbook is a nice start to learn about Gentoo
Well, hope you'll enjoy Linux and welcome to the community :wink:

Edit:
Holy crap, so many posts in so short time :)
400GB + 250GB Samsung SATAII HDD
Gentoo - BeyondSources 2.6.19-20
slowstick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks sonic and gt I appreciate it. I guess I will learn as I go then. I am at work and my buddy is working on my pc via remote access so it should be up when I get home tomorrow but I can add users and what not. I am not sure about the laptop my buddy said buy this one I did ups lost it the guy says he sent another one so I am dealing with that mess right now. I guess I just thought I need to read a basic computer manual first since I dont know what all the commands do yet.
bradbeglin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, best way is probably to learn as you go. Also, of course the "man [some command]" command is a great way to learn about different commands, but in the end, it is like any language, there are so many that you probably will never learn them all, just the ones that you need. Good luck, and hope the laptop thing gets settled.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: