View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
another_lobster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: console switching doesn't work in Xorg [SOLVED] Reply with quote

When I am in Enlightenment or in xfce4 I can't switch to another console (I'd like to open a text console) by using CTRL-ALT-Fx (where 'x' stands for 1...9).

I can switch from one text console to another before I run startx but when I am in the graphical environment I'm stuck to it.

I'm using Gentoo 2006.1 in a virtual machine I run through WMware Player (Windows XP). Here is the keyboard section in my xorg.conf:

Code:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
    Option "XkbLayout" "it"
EndSection

Any idea?

Bye,
Lobster

Last edited by another_lobster on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
bLUEbYTE84
Guru
Guru

Location: universe.tar.gz, src/earth.h, struct homo_sapiens_table

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
VMWare captures the Ctrl+Alt keystrokes. You need to configure it to not capture those.
another_lobster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: console switching doesn't work in Xorg [SOLVED] Reply with quote

bLUEbYTE84 wrote:
Hi,
VMWare captures the Ctrl+Alt keystrokes. You need to configure it to not capture those.

ARGH... you're right!

Unluckily I use VMware Player which doesn't seems to have the possibility to make any such configuration. Do you know how I can do that?

Anyway I discovered what follows (just in case someone will read this post in the future):

1) while in the graphical environment I can get a text console (for instance) by pressing CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-F3
2) while in the text console, I can go back to the graphical environment by pressing ALT-F7. Neither CTRL nor SHIFT are required. Funny...

Bye,
Lobster
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: