View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saundersx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: A couple KDE related questions Reply with quote

I've managed to figure out 99% of stuff from reading on here but some things still elude me. Some of these I can do right now, but it's a nasty hack! Would like to find a proper way.

How do I change from shift-backspace to something more uncommonly-pushed for closing xorg. I have done this a few times and it's VERY annoying as this is my work machine.

How do I assign each button on the mouse to do something different, or even mapped properly? (Logitech MX510)

What is a good taskbar bandwidth-monitoring app, like dumeter for windowz. Or a good taskbar system monitoring prog, like taskinfo for windows (although to it's credit taskinfo is the uber-utility).

Is there any type of color management for linux? Something tha can read ICCs?

And finally, how can I make the monitor go into standby via some hotkey?

Any of these questions answered would be greatly appreciated! :D
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shift backspace kills the X server? That's not right. The default should be ctrl+alt+backspace. As far as configuring hotkeys and such, you can emerge khotkeys and milo, then open the control panel and open the " Regional & Accessibility" menu. You can alter all sorts of behavior using Input Actions, Keyboard Layout, and Keyboard Shortcuts, and not limited only to the keyboard either. Taskbars, I'm not sure as I've never used dumeter, but there are a truly ridiculous number of system monitoring apps, applets, plugins, etc. out there. As to color management, you probably already installed it without realizing, as it's a dependency for a lot of stuff: lcms. An "equery list lcms" will tell you if it's installed. I don't know if it has all the features you're looking for though, mainly because I don't know what all the features you're looking for are.
Jords
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about changing the key to zap xorg, but you can turn it off entirely - theres' a nozap option I think... Strange though, the key is normally control-alt-backspace....

gkrellm2 is a good system monitor, app-admin/gkrellm . There's a whole lot of plugins in portage also.

Sorry, I don't have any idea for your other questions...
Saundersx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the suggestions. I can't use nozap because I want to keep the option for when things go nuts. And yes there are a ton of monitoring apps, but I want a nice small one that fits on the taskbar (still haven't found a good one yet, if only superkaramba didn't work just on the desktop). And also there is no hotkey for turning off the screen, unfortunately, as it would be useful to have some hardware control from quickkeys.

There aren't just "I'm lazy" questions, there was some reading behind them :wink:
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using Beryl or anything like that? I remember something about Beryl using shift+backspace as the server execution sequence.
linuxfriese1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: A couple KDE related questions Reply with quote

Saundersx wrote:
What is a good taskbar bandwidth-monitoring app, like dumeter for windowz. Or a good taskbar system monitoring prog, like taskinfo for windows (although to it's credit taskinfo is the uber-utility).

The KDE System Guard brings a kicker applet which allows you to drag sensors from it to the panel. Try that.
Saundersx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah good call the on the Beryl.

And I use "System Monitor" right now, system guard is ugly as sin, why does linux stuff have to be so unappealing visually? Make linux purdy and then nobody would have a reason to buy macs at all lol.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: