populating portage directory
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sudhashen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: populating portage directory Reply with quote

Hi All

After hearing that downloading a portage snapshot and extracting is the same as webrsync I decided to download via wget from local mirror - SUCCESS!!!

now it gets interesting(grrrrrrr!)

I extracted to /tmp directory so I try to tar -xvjpf /tmp/portage-20030507.tar.bz2 in the /usr/portage directory.

says cannot find the portage file - I look at my previous session ie cv2 and I can clearly see the file when i ls. Go back to my cv1 session and ls - NO LISTINGS!!!!

Then find out why - step 9 in the install procedure tell u to do the following:
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
yada yada - get that same profile error when I env-update btw..

once I've done all these steps I can't even use ping, net-setup etc - says cannot find commands! (how doe I fix this?)

Fine - go back to cv2 session to which I have not done the above. run the tar command in /usr/portage - guess what? errors again - find out that tar cannot write to /usr/portage directory because its read-only.

PLEASE HELP!!! I know part of the fun of linux is to figure things out for urself and to persist but this is starting to be very frustrating just to do an install.

Kind regards
Sudhashen
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sudhashen wrote:
once I've done all these steps I can't even use ping, net-setup etc - says cannot find commands! (how doe I fix this?)

after chrooting you are inside your new gentoo system. There is nothing to fix because you haven't emerged the packages which contain these commands yet.

Switch to another console (where you haven't chrooted) and you'll be able to use your network connection.

Don't know what to do about your portage problems - why don't you do it as described in the install instructions?
sudhashen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You've given me some insight as to what the chroot does but it still does not help me. I have followed the instructions but am stuck in the emerge sync command. Am behind a proxy which does not allow me to sync but I can use wget. as I have read emerge sync makes sure that ur portage dir is populated with the latest stuff - I have nothing there at the moment. So in order to get around this, I wget'ted the latest snapshot to /tmp and from there the story continues as I have explained in my previous note. The console to which i have not chrooted cannot write to the /usr/portage dir because it claims that the thing is read-only. I have logged on as root.

BTW - is it possible to irc in another console while installing? this would be a great way for someone to help me while I try to set up my system.

Thanx again
Sudhashen
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

you should be able to access /usr/portage. Do you have in mind that /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage is the location where you should place your files if you are not chrooted?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I used a portage snapshot, I needed to extract the tarball to /mnt/gentoo/usr rather than /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage so the paths would be correct.
sudhashen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Thanx for the replies Reply with quote

Sorry - been out of the office for awhile and just got back - will try these suggestions and get back with results.

To answer nerdbert I did think that extracting to /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage is what's needed because this is what it says in the installation instructions.But its nice to know there are alternatives and I will try them....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: