Can't access gentoo.org from minimal cd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helloyo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Can't access gentoo.org from minimal cd Reply with quote

I am trying to install 2006.1 from the minimal cd, but cannot get links to access www.gentoo.org. i can manage to get through to google after /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start or net-setup, but most sites don't work. the nameserver seems to be set correctly.

thanks in advance.
zeonglow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can ping google, You are online. It could be how your network is configured, it could be your ADSL/router needs power cycling, it depends on what kind of setup you have. It might just apper that some sites work and some don't because you have dodgy network cables. Or maybe gentoo.org was down when you tried...

How are you connecting to the internet?

One small tip, you could try reversing the first and second nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf, sometimes speeds things up a bit.
helloyo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeonglow wrote:
If you can ping google, You are online. It could be how your network is configured, it could be your ADSL/router needs power cycling, it depends on what kind of setup you have. It might just apper that some sites work and some don't because you have dodgy network cables. Or maybe gentoo.org was down when you tried...

How are you connecting to the internet?

One small tip, you could try reversing the first and second nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf, sometimes speeds things up a bit.

i am behind a firewall (not in my control) but i rarely have problems setting up internet. i am currently using kubuntu which had no issues at all, detecting everything via dhcp. are there any config files that could be of reference from this setup?

i also only have one nameserver set in /etc/resolv.conf

thanks though!
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds possible that somewhere very near you there's a broken router which doesn't properly handle window scaling. The technical stuff can be found here. But, the simple solution is to try the following from a terminal:
Code:
# echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling
The fix should be immediate and not require rebooting or anything. If it solves the problem you can try contacting your ISP to inform them of the issue, but it's unlikely that either of you will have any control over the problem router. Instead you just might want to add this line to your /etc/sysctl.conf:
Code:
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 0

HTH,
m
Samsung x360
AMD64 x2 4200+ * TF7050-M2 * HTPC
ZOTAC ION A-U Mini-ITX * HTPC
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: