Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] mplayer scaling fullscreen issues.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imcominup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] mplayer scaling fullscreen issues. Reply with quote

i use mplayer for my videos and i'm having issues getting it to go fullscreen. i went to the mplayer site but the answer to my question was WAY over my head. first of all, it only pseudo answered the question because it said you can only do fullscreen if you enter it in the shell. well, what if i want it to be an option. like rightclicking it for instance? is there a better video player? or can this be done with mplayer?

also, as soon as a video file is done playing in mplayer, it automatically closes! why? i'd like for it to loop back to the beginning of the file and play it all over again... for THIS particular issue i couldn't find any documentation on it.

and if i open a video from the browser, it only brings up the video window, not the control panel gui. what's up with that?

what i have done so far to fix the issue (which hasn't fixed anything) is i've gone into ~/.mplayer/gui.conf and made the following changes...
Code:

vo_driver = "vx"        #used to be x11
gui_skin = "phony-1.1"  #used to be default

i downloaded the phony-1.1 skin from this mplayer skin directory. i don't know what else i have to do. i'm not sure if that's the right name for it in the gui.conf file. but it's still coming up in the default skin. and it's not coming up as an option in the preferences menu... can someone please help?

Last edited by imcominup on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, normally you can enter and leave fullscreen by hitting the 'f' key while mplayer is running. Hit 'q' to quit. Mplayer skins should be extracted to ~/.mplayer/skins directory. Each skin you extract should create it's own subdirectory in ~/.mplayer/skins. Here, for example, is a listing of mine:
Code:
/home/bubba $ ls -R .mplayer/skins/
.mplayer/skins/:
DVDPlayer  moonphase  productive

.mplayer/skins/DVDPlayer:
11.png   about.png      font.png   iconify.png  menu.png  none.png      position.png  skin       symbols.fnt  volume.png
12.png   equalizer.png  font2.fnt  load.png     minl.png  pause.png     pref.png      skins.png  symbols.png  zoom.png
README   exit.png       font2.png  logo.png     minr.png  play.png      secl.png      stop.png   trnext.png
VERSION  font.fnt       help.png   main.png     mute.png  playlist.png  secr.png      sub.png    trprev.png

.mplayer/skins/moonphase:
README    exit.png  forward.png  minus.png  pause.png  pos-horiz.png    size-full.png  stop.png     symbols.fnt
VERSION   font.fnt  iconify.png  next.png   play.png   prev.png         size-norm.png  sub.png      symbols.png
back.png  font.png  main.png     open.png   plus.png   size-double.png  skin           subload.png

.mplayer/skins/productive:
README       barprevious.png  font.fnt        main.png      pos.png       rev.png       subtitles.png
VERSION      barrev.png       font.png        next.png      pospb.png     settings.png  symbols.fnt
barfwd.png   barstop.png      fullscreen.png  play.png      posvol.png    skin          symbols.png
barnext.png  disc.png         fwd.png         playbar.png   previous.png  skins.png
barplay.png  equalizer.png    load.png        playlist.png  quit.png      stop.png

As you can see, I have installed three extra skins. Assuming you are running mplayer from X, you probably would launch the program, gmplayer and not mplayer. Gmplayer is the gui for mplayer and you should then be able to right click on the video for options. (or click on the different option buttons in the gui)

I hope this has helped.
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"xv" is the vo-driver you want. you can select it in the gui. that should fix the issue of mplayer not scaling to fullscreen.
i think i had to emerge xv first and set the right USE variable for my video-card (incl recompile of a lot of packages) though. take a look at the output of xvinfo.

everybody seems to love mplayer, but its not very userfriendly. why the hell can i not go fullscreen by doubleclicking? loop option would be nice too. i dont know, maybe there are command line-options for it.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you even try
Code:
mplayer -loop
:?:

Did you even try
Code:
mplayer -zoom

Did you try
Code:
man mplayer

And finally, did you try the above with mplayer replaced by gmplayer :?:

EDIT: Hmm.., I might have come off a bit rude there. :( But those are the commands you will want to use. As for skins, drop the skins as mentioned earlier in the ~/.mplayer directory, then start gmplayer, right click on it and select skin browser. Also, you can go to the preferences and change your default audio/video outputs.

Quote:
everybody seems to love mplayer, but its not very userfriendly. why the hell can i not go fullscreen by doubleclicking? loop option would be nice too. i dont know, maybe there are command line-options for it.
There is a reason why everyone seems to love mplayer. Try throwing a corrupted file or cd/dvd at all the players you got there, and then see which ones can cope with such files. Most players will either immediately quit or bring the entire system down to its knees. There are very few players robust enough.

As for a gui-friendly frontend, maybe kmplayer is more to your liking.
imcominup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much ppurka! the skin works now! but i STILL can't get the scaling fullscreen to work. the option isn't displayed in my preferences of mplayer. it still only has one option for v/o and that is x11, even tho i changed the gui.conf file to say vo_driver = "vx"

i also emerged vx (which i didn't do before) but it STILL doesn't work... what am i doing wrong?
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its xv, NOT vx.
your problem is, that in fullscreen the size of the video is the same and the rest of the screen is filled black?

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-525741.html ,does this help?

be sure 'xv' USE flag is set in make.conf, be sure you specified the right video card driver in make.conf and xorg.conf
be sure xv is installed. type xvinfo to see if its working.

emerge -NDav world to make the changes take effect.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post your "emerge --info" output, as well as the output of "emerge -pv mplayer".
imcominup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do i copy and paste output from the shell? Ctrl-C doesn't work...

i did type xv in the make.conf file... i just typed it here wrong. yes, my problem is that when i do fullscreen, it's all black with the same size video still in the middle.

xv --info worked, but xvinfo doesn't...

how do i copy and paste output from the shell? i don't know how. that seems like it's pretty important info to know if i'm going to be able to get any help out of the forums :D
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right click > copy

or output to a textfile, e.g. 'emerge --info >> /home/user/Desktop/textfile'
imcominup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use xterm shell. there is no rightclick menu. (that's why i asked in the first place)

highlight and middle-clicking in the text field worked.

Code:
$ emerge --info

Portage 2.1.1-r2 (default-linux/x86/2006.1, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.4-r4, 2.6.18-gentoo-r4 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.18-gentoo-r4 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.6
Last Sync: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 21:30:01 +0000
ccache version 2.3 [enabled]
app-admin/eselect-compiler: [Not Present]
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7, 2.0.30
dev-lang/python:     2.4.3-r4
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
dev-util/ccache:     2.3
dev-util/confcache:  [Not Present]
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.60
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1-r3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.14
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.17-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -mtune=athlon-xp -march=athlon-xp -finline-functions -falign-jumps=16 -falign-loops=16 -falign-functions=64 -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fomit-frame-pointer -fforce-addr -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/X11/xkb"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/gconf /etc/java-config/vms/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/mnt/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig candy ccache distclean distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict userpriv usersandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common"
LINGUAS="en"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/mnt/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude='/distfiles' --exclude='/local' --exclude='/packages'"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 3dnow 3dnowext X alsa berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 cdr cli cracklib crypt doc dri elibc_glibc firefox fortran gdbm gnutls gpm gtk iconv input_devices_evdev input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse ipv6 isdnlog java jpeg jpg kerberos kernel_linux ldap libg++ linguas_en mmx mmxext mp3 ncurses nls nptl nptlonly oss pam pcre perl png ppds pppd python readline reflection session spl sse sse2 ssl tcpd truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode userland_GNU video_cards_ati video_cards_radeon video_cards_vesa xorg xv zlib"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

Code:
$ emerge -pv mplayer

[ebuild  N    ] media-video/realplayer-10.0.8  USE="-nsplugin" 6,494 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc1  USE="3dnow 3dnowext X aac aalib alsa cdparanoia cpudetection doc dvd dvdread gtk iconv ipv6 jpeg mmx mmxext oss* png real* sse sse2 unicode win32codecs xv* -3dfx (-altivec) -amr -arts -bidi -bindist -bl -custom-cflags -debug -dga -directfb -dts -dv -dvb -enca -encode -esd -fbcon -ggi -gif -jack -joystick -libcaca -lirc -live -livecd -lzo -mad -matrox -musepack -nas -openal -opengl -rtc -samba -sdl -speex -svga -tga -theora -truetype -v4l -v4l2 -vorbis -x264 -xanim -xinerama -xvid -xvmc" LINGUAS="en -bg -cs -da -de -el -es -fr -hu -ja -ko -mk -nl -no -pl -pt_BR -ro -ru -sk -tr -uk -zh_CN -zh_TW" 9,127 kB
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, read through http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags :)

Next, your "emerge -pv mplayer" output shows that you have not rebuilt mplayer since you changed your USE flags. You will need to do so before the changes you have made will take effect.

Code:
oss* real* xv*

The '*' means that that particular USE flag has been changed since you last emerged the package. (Just FYI)
imcominup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do i "rebuild" mplayer? don't i just emerge it again?
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imcominup wrote:
how do i "rebuild" mplayer? don't i just emerge it again?

Yes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: