Upgrading Postgresql
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoofballJM1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Upgrading Postgresql Reply with quote

I have a fairly large Postgresql database (2+GB) running on a server. Most of my experience is with MySQL, and the documentation for upgrading that is very clear. However, I haven't been able to find a comparable tutorial on upgrading Postgresql. It's an incremental update (8.0.8 to 8.0.9), but libpq is required now and I don't want to bork my database. I have backed the database up in case, but I just want to get some feedback from you all. Is it safe to unmerge the old version and emerge the new one with libpq?
stim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, there should be no problem updating a minor release like that, since there will only be bug fixes and no added features. I wouldn't bother unmerging 8.0.8 before merging 8.0.9 though, just let portage remove 8.0.8 after 8.0.9 has gone through OK.

I have done minor point release updates like this one with PostgreSQL before, although only with very small test databases, but I had no problems.

As for libpq, I think you'll find PostgreSQL 8.0.8 requires it too, just version 8.0.8 of libpq, not 8.0.9.
GoofballJM1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I figured I would be okay, but I wanted to be careful. The upgrade went smoothly. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: