To-be Gentoo User!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telarmago
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: To-be Gentoo User! Reply with quote

Hello, I just picked up Linux, and after a bit of research on several other forums, I was told Ubuntu was the best setup for a Linux newbie. I have had experience with Linux before, but the last time I installed Linux was back in April of 2006. Right now, Ubuntu works great, I was able to get my ATI video card to run, and my nVidia Ethernet controller was automatically configured for me. I know Gentoo is NOT newbie-friendly. The reason I'm posting this is, I would definitely like to move to Gentoo after familiarizing myself with Linux. Ubuntu seems like a great distro to do that. Another advantage is that I have a live-cd to setup a Gentoo install off of. I did my homework, and found out that the GTK installer, and even the console installer is unreliable. I have bookmarked the Stage-3 install guide for Gentoo.

I would like to ask if there is anything I should learn, what I should be able to easily do on Ubuntu, etc., before I attempt to install Gentoo. I'm going to take Linux seriously, and I'd like to become a proficient user of it. I've already gotten some Linux guides and such from googling. If anyone has any tips, guides, how-tos, etc. for a newbie, I'd greatly appreciate their help!
StevenVI
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you know exactly what hardware you have on your computer. This is useful for using old operating systems I guess. I've always made it a habit to write down the hardware specs on a piece of paper and tape it somewhere to the machine for future reference. I use this information to make my kernel as small as possible, though perhaps most people just use genkernel. lspci is also a useful tool to determine what's in your machine.

For me, though perhaps everyone else would disagree, only update packages if there are features you want in the new version, or if there are security fixes that you feel are critical. In my experience, updating (as in "update world") tends to be the same as asking for trouble.
Telarmago
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenVI wrote:
Make sure you know exactly what hardware you have on your computer. This is useful for using old operating systems I guess. I've always made it a habit to write down the hardware specs on a piece of paper and tape it somewhere to the machine for future reference. I use this information to make my kernel as small as possible, though perhaps most people just use genkernel. lspci is also a useful tool to determine what's in your machine.

For me, though perhaps everyone else would disagree, only update packages if there are features you want in the new version, or if there are security fixes that you feel are critical. In my experience, updating (as in "update world") tends to be the same as asking for trouble.

I built my computer, with the mindset of a computer gamer. 8 months later, I'm not gaming at all.

Thank you for your feedback! I have all my hardware down, and it all works in Ubuntu/Debian. I also know the X-Fi is unsupported ;).
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: To-be Gentoo User! Reply with quote

You've definitely got exactly the kind of attitude you need to do well with Gentoo. Reading thoroughly, thinking critically, and being precise are just about all that's needed.

Honestly, though, by design you could spend years using Ubuntu and still only superficially touch on Linux. Only by getting down and dirty by using a source-based meta-distribution like Gentoo will you learn more.

So, if you have a working Ubuntu system that you can use to help you troubleshoot when Gentoo breaks (and it will break... that's when you learn stuff, after all), then make room for another partition and start experimenting with Gentoo.

Read and be aware of what's available in the official documentation and the gentoo-wiki. Read through the FAQ's for your cpu, and research the drivers you'll need for your components. Read the manuals. Set up ELOG to mail you the postinstall notes of the packages you emerge. Learn how ebuilds work, what portage does, and what the usual problems are. Easily 90% of the problems I encounter with Gentoo can be quickly solved by actually reading error messages and by following the documentaiton. The other 10% via googling site:forums.gentoo.org.

Let us know if you run into any specific questions. Just about every question can be answered, but only if you ask. Now, go get your hands dirty!

GL,
m
Samsung x360
AMD64 x2 4200+ * TF7050-M2 * HTPC
ZOTAC ION A-U Mini-ITX * HTPC
jimster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my last reply in this thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-529872.html

I was in your situation about a month ago, did my homework on Gentoo, and just jumped in and got my hands dirty, as
madisonicus suggested...had no problems installing, a few problems installing X, fluxbox, & Gnome, but was able to find solutions in the forum...Gentoo is probably the most well documented Linux distro. You'll learn more about Linux using Gentoo than you did with Ubuntu, which is a great OS.
Moji
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree with madisonicus, you've got the right outlook for a Gentoo user to have.

When I did my first installation of gentoo it took me a long time to get it up and running only because I made sure to go step by step through The Gentoo Installation Guide. But as a reward for carefully following all of the steps in the guide I got through the installation without any major bugs.

jimster is right when he says it is one of the most well documented distros out there. Between the Gentoo forums and the Gentoo wiki you can find a fix for almost everything.

Best of luck.

-MJ
cotcot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the installers.
Be aware of the compilation time you need when you install/maintain a Gentoo system (particularly if it is an old computer) and the advantage of it.
Start installing it using the manual carefully.
Telarmago
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the support and advice!

I will follow your advice, and work on getting a Stage-3 install done.

Thank you again, and I will most certainly use all of my resources possible to troubleshoot my problems.

Time to get started!
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... I forgot the most important piece of advice: HAVE FUN! :D
Samsung x360
AMD64 x2 4200+ * TF7050-M2 * HTPC
ZOTAC ION A-U Mini-ITX * HTPC
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: