GRUB madness.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JollyRoger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: GRUB madness. Reply with quote

I'm having a pretty strange problem with GRUB. I just did an emerge -NDu world and installed some new packages. So I reboot my system and instead of GRUB normally working it just prints the word "GRUB". ONLY ONCE!!!! Searching online I could only find cases where GRUB prints "GRUB" infinitely. Mine only prints it once.

I have one SATA hard drive with WinXP and Gentoo installed. NTLDR is installed on the MBR and GRUB is installed on the Gentoo partition. NTLDR works normally and gives me a choice between Gentoo and WinXP. WinXP boots fine. Normally, If I select Gentoo, GRUB will come up and I hit enter to select my main kernel. However, like I said, it now only prints "GRUB" one time.

Here is my grub.conf:

Code:

default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2005.1 Kernel 2.6.17-r4
root(hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 vga=792 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr splash=silent,fadein,kdgraphics,theme:Linux fbcon=scrollback:128K quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 idle=halt
initrd /boot/fbsplash-Linux-1024x768

My menu.lst symbolic link points to the right place. I've looked throught the Gentoo GRUB error message guide but I couldn't find anything. I've also tried chrooting into the Gentoo environment from a LiveCD and running grub-install /dev/sda3 (my Gentoo partition) or grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/sda3 but I just get the error message: "Could Not Find Device For /boot/boot: Not Found Or Not a Block Device". And yes, I made sure that my /etc/mtab is correct.

Any ideas? Why would this start happening all of a sudden with myself making no changes to Grub?
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard solution:
start a livecd, reinstall grub. dd the boot record of your gentoo partition again and copy it to your windows partition.

Does your windows "see" the linux partitions (do you have a filesystem driver installed)? It seems something has overwritten the bootrecord of your gentoo partition.
JollyRoger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried your "standard solution" with a live CD. Like I said, I get the following error when I run grub-install:

Code:

Could Not Find Device For /boot/boot: Not Found Or Not a Block Device

The Gentoo Grub Error Guide suggests that I make sure I copied /proc/mounts to /etc/mtab but I did do that.

The command I run is:

Code:

# grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/sda3

Where /dev/sda3 is my Gentoo ext3 partition (sda2 being swap space and sda1 being NTFS).

Yes, I can mount the ext3 partition from Windows and read/write files properly with the Windows ext3 driver.
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have a link boot in /boot that links to . (the current directory)?

grubinstall did never work right for me

type in
Code:

grub
root (hd0,2)
setup (hd0,2)
exit

to use the grub shell install method.
JollyRoger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems to have worked. I also dd'ed the boot record of the Gentoo Partition into Windows and GRUB now works properly.

Two questions:

1. What's up with grub-install not working? Shouldn't that do the same thing as the grub shell method?

2. I want to find out what caused this. What could possibly do this keeping in mind that I made not changes to GRUB (I did not even run grub)? Since I just updated a whole bunch of new packages I suspect that one of those may have created the problem. Is there a way to see last group of packages that I updated?

Thanks.
dundas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fangorn wrote:
do you have a link boot in /boot that links to . (the current directory)?

grubinstall did never work right for me

type in
Code:

grub
root (hd0,2)
setup (hd0,2)
exit

to use the grub shell install method.

I solved my prob after

I manually copied in the lines from /proc/mounts to /etc/mtab, and emerging the new grub again, and then do the grub root and setup, however
I think the above line for setup should be

setup (hd0)

EDIT: by that I guess it means using grub as the primary boot loader, so don't do it when u need NTloader as the primay

hope that helps
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: