Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Wine, WineCVS, winetools and directx (9)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pavallokazzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Wine, WineCVS, winetools and directx (9) Reply with quote

I know it's an argument already been talked about but most posts are old more than one year, wine go fast and so maybe most of them are already outdated...
As I was trying to start Madden (all goes well until it checks for Dx 9 and there comes the problem), I was asking myself if there is a way to install DX 9 on wine (winehq)... Anybody make it?
Also, do the wineCVS.sh script still is good, and what about winetools (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-29996.html)?
WineCVS script takes the source from winehq cvs, or it's another project (maybe a fork beetwen Wine and Winex)?
And what about those DX patches against winecvs? Are they will to try, or just emerge wine ~x86 (I'm going for the 0.9.28 right now)?
Sorry for all these question, and plz don't tell me "just google around you d***a*s!" cause it's what I did, trying to respond myself with google or gentoo forum, but no one gives me a solution (the easiest should be winecvs.sh with dx9 profile but compile stops with an error that I can't "google" around).

Also, why we don't share our experience with Direct X 9 and *nix? Did anybody make it (install it and make it the work)? How short have you come? And what about using windows dlls?

Anything is appreciate
mose
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you're interested in this page https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-339105-highlight-ps3+cedega.html... straight here in the forum
pavallokazzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so n00b...
Tell me: I have to make my overlay, with that wine vers inside, than just insert the patch in wine/patch and emerge?
nothing more?
Thanks
mose
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you exactly because I don't use wine anymore, so my knowledge aren't up to date. However I think that if you'll post in the thread that I linked the guys over there will give you an hand!
pavallokazzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For everybody interested, I finally found something interesting...
The wrote on linux-gamers forum that all the profile from wineCVS.sh, except wine, are outdated.
So best way remain emerge-9999 or latest release in portage tree
pavallokazzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like DX 9 support is there, but can't find the confirm...
However, my love Madden use 9.0c, seems this ain't running. Can't just install ("Madden 07 needs Dx 9.0c, plz provide it etc etc")
pavallokazzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed Cedega (last) not cvs...
Madden 07 doesn't seems to work for whose interested.
Neither with wine
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pavallokazzo wrote:
Seems like DX 9 support is there, but can't find the confirm...
However, my love Madden use 9.0c, seems this ain't running. Can't just install ("Madden 07 needs Dx 9.0c, plz provide it etc etc")

I don't know much about games, but basically, if you are trying to use something too up to date, it will not work.

This is the directx status, actually: http://www.winehq.org/site/status_directx

I don't know where did you read the info, but you seem to believe that the support for directx is complete, and the truth is that it is actually not so complete (though the most used pieces are at a very advanced state, like direct3d). That graph is just an overview, but you get the idea, just look at the red-ish rectangles in that page. :P

I bet, that in cedega the thing is not much different.

EDIT, to answer your first post: no, you can't ever dream about installing directx on wine.
pavallokazzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After opening this thread I googled around and found that:
- DX can't be installed for the way wine works, as it's said it not emulates but runs proprietary api, and as dx itself is an api library you can't use that. We have to wait they finish what they are doing (basically switching from dx3 to dx9 and support old games through dx9)
- Cedega seems to be some step up, but I bet as wine reach their goal on dx9 they will sorpass cedega project... however cedega devs are payed and wine devs aren't so the times change...
- WinexCVS are definitevely out-of-date...

Bottom line, still need to dual boot the box
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: