World of Warcraft Patch 2.0.3 Random Ingame Crashes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmx87
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: World of Warcraft Patch 2.0.3 Random Ingame Crashes Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I would post this in the transgaming forums but my suscription is up so I cannot. I am having this problem on Gentoo, however.

I was unable to patch Wow with Cedega 5.1.3. I used Wine 0.9-15 in order to patch wow successfully. The problem I have is when I get in the game. If I use cedega, every thing works ok ingame, except there is a random crash that always occurs. Wow will crash with its standard error box (http://kruck.biz/images/wow_error.png, but this isn't the exact error, just to give you an idea) 10 seconds to 5 minutes after getting into the game. If I use wine 0.9-15 in D3D mode, the game works although with major graphics errors, the mouse bug, and the same random crashes every 5-10 minutes. If I use openGL mode, the game crashes instantly with an X Bad mismatch error (possibly from the minimap bug, which can be fixed with a minimap hider wow addon, but that addon doesn't work with wow patchlevel > 2.0.0...).

Someone on the transgaming forums was having a random crash bug like this, but his was because he has problems with his twin monitor setup.

On a side note though, I have noticed that OpenGL is tons better for me than D3D with cedega and wine.

Anyone else having this problem though? I know Cedega 5.1.3 is an old version, but $15 for a new version is lame :/ .....
broken_chaos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try wine 0.9.28. It's what I've been using with 2.0.1, and soon with 2.0.3 (as soon as the patch finishes).
mmx87
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, upgrading to wine 0.9.28 makes wow work perfectly. The only thing is, I had to upgrade from monolithic xorg 6.9 to modular xorg 7.1...so if you haven't already done that you might want to do that. (now I just have to fix my libXaw problem so I can run xterm..)

Thanks alot!
ruta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having this exact same problem. It's odd, because it doesn't even matter if I'm doing anything or not. For example, I was waiting in queue to get into my server (it's one of those planned to split) and I got the 132 error.

I might try wine, but I wish I could get a fix for cedega rather than start a whole new project. As it stands, I just got home from a four month period overseas, and I'm not particularly in the mood to figure out the whole read-me with wine. Also, I'm not sure how it stands now, but I recall that wine didn't have support for pixel shaders and what not when I left (while cedega did). If it's the case that it does now, I'd feel better about getting it to work.

Anyone have more info on all this?
tgurr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wine is the way to go, just install the most recent version and you're set. There's only the -opengl option you have to set in your WoW config if you want to use opengl, and a registry parameter to add to the "windows" registry if you wan't to speed fps up. More info is in the wine appdb or in the wow forum thread here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: