View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkirby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Firefox image loading slowness Reply with quote

In the last week my Firefox has started going really slow when loading images. For example, when loading gmail it will load each image sequentially (even if it's the same image over and over) and there's a small pause where it says "Waiting for mail.google.com" in the status bar. It seems like it's doing a dns resolution for each image. I haven't made any changes or upgrades to firefox so I'm not sure where to start. I tried moving off my .mozilla directory and opening firefox with a new profile but get the same issue. Any help is appreciated as this is driving me insane, quickly.
kraix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could just be a problem with your connection. You haven't done anything at all wierd to your system? In addition occasionally with some modems, broadband, sometimes they will start to act up and power cycle will help clear up any issues. This might not solve your problem though. Also, check to make sure that nothing is hogging your upload bandwidth, like bittorrent or something. Have you tried running any other programs, if so is it only firefox running slow?
tkirby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraix wrote:
This could just be a problem with your connection. You haven't done anything at all wierd to your system? In addition occasionally with some modems, broadband, sometimes they will start to act up and power cycle will help clear up any issues. This might not solve your problem though. Also, check to make sure that nothing is hogging your upload bandwidth, like bittorrent or something. Have you tried running any other programs, if so is it only firefox running slow?

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried recycling the cable modem and wireless hub. Still slow. I also ran konqeror for a while and everything loads at full speed. It seems to be mozilla specific.

I can't figure out why firefox would load each image in sequence and why would it bother loading the same image twice, wouldn't those already be in the cache at that point? I'm stumped. I tried downloading mozilla 2.0 but it has the same problem.
kraix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to use fasterfox? This might be able to alleviate some of the problem, could just be that not enough requests are being made at a certain time. These settings are set-able by the users I just don't remember the filename.
Dieter@be
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem too!
It's very weird indeed:
konqueror or opera behave normally, but firefox loads the same images over and over again, even those on the same page.
I don't think i changed something in my config or anything like that, it just started happening..
Although i'm running xfce4.4 for a short while now, i don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I cleared my cache, i made sure i have plenty of room for cache etc. No avail. I even did a full recompile, no change either.
I do use the flag moznopango, that might have something to do with that (will recompile now with that flag disabled to find out)

I also checked permissions in /home/dieter/.mozilla, all seems fine there : everything is writable by at least user dieter.
Dieter@be
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone got this fixed?
it's still bothering me :?

I found some extensions and tweaks, but this shouldn't be necessary, right? :evil:
http://www.johntp.com/2006/08/02/how-to-load-images-from-cache-in-firefox/
Dieter@be
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved:

go to about:config
I've set browser.cache.disk.enable to true (which didn't do anything noticable on itself)
but when I set browser.cache.memory.enable also true all is fine again.

PS: this is probably pebcak. I might have changed these values myself long time ago :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: