setting mplayer defaults
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imcominup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: setting mplayer defaults Reply with quote

i am having trouble figuring out how to do a few (probably common) configurations to mplayer. first, i'd like for mplayer when it starts a video (no matter if it's from my harddrive, a dvd, a cd, or from a website, i'd like it to automatically go into fullscreen mode. second, after mplayer finishes playing a video file, it automatically closes... where do i change this configuration to continue to loop through the video?

i'm pretty sure these configurations will be place in ./mplayer/config. but it has no examples, so i'm not even sure where to start.

thanks in advanced.

EDIT: upon further research, i found this thread http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-77329.html
looks like it's gonna get me started. still, if anyone has any suggestions, or advice, let me know. when i figure out what's going on and get my own config file going properly, i'll post it in this thread for documentation purposes. thanks again.
sirdilznik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is the correct file to put defaults into.

To have mplayer play in fullscreen add this:
Code:
fs=1

To have it loop add:
Code:
loop=<foo>
where foo is the number of times you want it to loop, to have it loop endlessly set it to 0
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: setting mplayer defaults Reply with quote

imcominup wrote:
i'm pretty sure these configurations will be place in ./mplayer/config. but it has no examples, so i'm not even sure where to start.
The system defaults for all users are stored in /etc/mplayer.conf which does have a very full list of settings and explanations. You can copy that to ~/.mplayer.conf if you want and edit it there. The settings in your home directory will take precedence over the ones in /etc/mplayer.conf.

You'll also notice the settings for mplayerplug-in are stored in a similar fashion.... in case that comes up.

-m
Samsung x360
AMD64 x2 4200+ * TF7050-M2 * HTPC
ZOTAC ION A-U Mini-ITX * HTPC
imcominup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply sirdilznik and madisonicus. so, i found that you can start mplayer in fullscreen mode by using the gui (gmplayer). i also added a few things to /.mplayer/config. loop=? being one of them. except it never looped... and now, i can't exit out of fullscreen mode. normally done by pressing the 'F' key. and second... i accidentally pressed 'D' when i went to press 'F'... and mplayer stopped... and the entire screen went blank... and i don't have a toolbar or anything. that virtual desktop is gone.. until i reboot... but why did it do that?
sirdilznik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imcominup wrote:
thanks for the reply sirdilznik. so, i found that you can start mplayer in fullscreen mode by using the gui (gmplayer). i also added a few things to /.mplayer/config. loop=? being one of them. except it never looped... and now, i can't exit out of fullscreen mode. normally done by pressing the 'F' key. and second... i accidentally pressed 'D' when i went to press 'F'... and mplayer stopped... and the entire screen went blank... and i don't have a toolbar or anything. that virtual desktop is gone.. until i reboot... but why did it do that?

Not sure why it did that. If mplayer freezes up and you can't get out of it you can always press Alt + F2 to go to your second desktop (substitute f3, f4 and so on depending on what desktop you want to go to and how many you have set up). The hot keys may be different on a different Window Manager, but that's what I use in E17. once in a different desktop open a terminal and
Code:
killall mplayer
. Try running mplayer from a terminal and if it freezes again copy and paster any error messages here.
imcominup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killall mplayer worked like a charm. i'm still not sure why it did that when i pressed d... plus, when a video file is playing, and i use the middle mouse scroll button, and scroll up or down... for a split second, a volume thing will show up and scroll from left to right like i'm raising the volume... then either it freezes, or immediately shuts down mplayer. what's the deal?
sirdilznik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imcominup wrote:
killall mplayer worked like a charm. i'm still not sure why it did that when i pressed d... plus, when a video file is playing, and i use the middle mouse scroll button, and scroll up or down... for a split second, a volume thing will show up and scroll from left to right like i'm raising the volume... then either it freezes, or immediately shuts down mplayer. what's the deal?
What version of mplayer are you using? I had some similar problems a little while back except in my case pressing practically any of the keyboard controls besides the arrow keys to advance or go back made mplayer crash or freeze. It started when I upgraded to mplayer-1.0_rc1. Downgrading to mplayer_pre8-r1 fixed it for me.
blop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirdilznik wrote:
What version of mplayer are you using? I had some similar problems a little while back except in my case pressing practically any of the keyboard controls besides the arrow keys to advance or go back made mplayer crash or freeze. It started when I upgraded to mplayer-1.0_rc1. Downgrading to mplayer_pre8-r1 fixed it for me.

I have the same problem (same versions) and it started after the update. I'll be downgrading as soon as I can. After using keyboard mplayer freezees when launched from the console or when I use gmplayer. Certain things work, like cursor keys, I can also use fullscreen and use the scroll wheel. There is also something wrong with the focus as mplayer loses focus when entering fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: