View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raiki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Logged in, logged out, no X anymore...<Solved> Reply with quote

Heyas, sorry it's a very newbie question.
I don't know if it's related so I'll explain the first part as well.
I installed gentoo, got it working, but I wanted to reinstall because I had problems with groups and base X was ugly...
So I reinstalled... I went to get a salad, and the installation was done before I could eat it. .....Usually it takes 2-3 hours, not 5 minutes!
So I wrote startx, I had an error...so I went to config /etc/make.conf and then did xorgcfg.
So I wrote startx again, and it worked. With a bonus surprise. Somehow, what looked like gnome was installed... Nice! Finally, icons! It was beautiful.
But I was root. So I wanted to log out... But the log out drop-down option didn't seem to work, so I rebooted the hard way... After rebooting, I was at the DOS-like screen, so I typed startx, and it said "command not found"

So I guess my problem is obvious...
Help please! :/
It's the same wether I'm root or user...
And I seek real help, not some random "lolz nub try another linux and come back when you know ur things" please...
For info if it helps, I used the LiveCD, the big x86 version that is not for a full internet installation.

Last edited by Raiki on Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
kraix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok first off you will need to tell us what the output of emerge -pv xorg-x11 is. Second, I would assume a large number of people here would take offense to what you said about us calling you a loser or whatever.
Raiki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound offensive but I did see a few answers like that here...and on mirc I'm ignored almost half the time, while I rarely see anyone else being ignored, so I'm kinda tired of that...

emerge -pv xorg-x11 gave me many many lines, so ...alright, it's not installed :/ Thanks for that, I understand that I should install it, but ... if it's not installed, how come I had a pretty gnome environment that seemed functional, and then the moment I log off it disappears? I'd gladly take the free gnome over the few hours needed to install Xorg and an environment :P
kraix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if you just want a lightweight environment very quickly you could install xfce4 or fluxbox. Both compile pretty quickly on decent hardware. Then if you want the full gnome install you can do that and still have something to work with. Heck, you might even like one of the two.
Raiki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant, I don't understand how I was actually able to use gnome and X11 and everything, while it was actually not installed :/ I had an environment and all and it was pretty...I don't understand how I could use that, while X11 wasn't installed...but oh well, I suppose I can't go back to that... Thanks a lot for the help!

Next time (because I know there will be a next time) I'll try without the end message and see how the answers go ;)
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: