half-newbie install info
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedepy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: half-newbie install info Reply with quote

hello; I have been running linux (pclinuxos, to be more precise), for about 6 months now. I have come to like this operating system, and am now feeling ready to install a more "hardcore" version of the OS. PCLinuxOS is nice, but I have a rather old, 733 Mhz PC with about 128mb of RAM. I am planning on purchasing a laptop sometime maybe next summer, but in the meanwhile I have to do with what I have.

So gentoo is from what I've heard one of the fastest distros outthere. I've also heard it's one of the most customizable, and when you compile from source, most "optimizable" to your hardware.

What I'd like to achieve is this: I want to install my gentoo to run a desktop computer, with openoffice installed, KDE, a few multimedia apps like amarok, kaffeine; also the gimp, a few games perhaps down the road, but really, not much else. I do not use at least 90% of all the software that comes packed with most "desktop friendly" distros. In the future, with my laptop, I would like to create a media center machine, complete with TV tuner, games, etc. But I'll post on that when I get there. Oh, and if I could get a working wine installation to run all the software I currently want to run, I would ditch windows. But I ain't there yet (most notably my N64 emulator -- my linux one seem to be able to do 3D quite as well as directx 9 under win2000).

when you install from the 650mb livecd of gentoo, does it come with all of that software ? can I choose which ones I'd want ? like I said, I have a small machine I want the least possible stuff running in the background or lying around in my swap or harddrive for no good use...

I have some background in computer programming, am somewhat comfortable with compiling from source, and to maximize the potential of my somewhat mid to low range machine, I wouldn't mind trying that.

So if anyone could give me a step by step, as to what to install first, how, and in what order, to get to what I want. Should I erase every trace of pclinuxos from my HD before proceding? I currently have 3 partitions (other than swap), that is one ext3 for linux, an NTFS for windows (yes, windows), and another NTFS to store large documents, which I want to be able to access from both OS. Most of my documents are thus safely stored away on that 9gb partition. The two other partitions are 3 gigs each (roughly).

What I want is a lean, fast desktop on which I'll be able to play my lil retro n64 games, snes, maybe simcity ? I don't really care for the latest shooter titles ... And, openoffice, working, and the gimp ... without all the clutter that comes with other distros.

Oh, and should I mention, do not have an internet connection at home ?? ah ! yeah I guess that's worth mentionning .. ... :)

so, help ?

thanks in advance.
m_spidey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey There

Have you had a look at this link? It would answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1

Gentoo usually relies on a internet connection but you can get a cd with packages on it =D
pedepy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I have read this briefly, I guess I'll download it or perhaps is there a PDF available somewhere ? ... I guess then what I'll do is get the CD, try it myself and if I run into a booboo I'll get back here and post what the problem is.

Thanks !
m_spidey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea

usually the process involves putting a basic system onto your computer from the CD. Then you 'emerge' the rest which is essentially pulled from the internet. 'Emerge' does all the compiling for you.

Enjoy
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no pdf for the Gentoo Documentation.
gilhad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: half-newbie install info Reply with quote

I have Gentoo on some Pentium 133MHz/48 MB RAM ;-)
It is possible to install Gentoo without internet, but it is unhandy - Gentoo works the way that when it had to install something, it looks to /user/portage/distfiles for needed files. If the files are not there (and on the first installation this directory IS EMPTY), then it tries to download the files to this location and then retry installing. So you must manually copy all needed files there (in the requested versions with expected checksums). A lot of work to do ... (you can also place the files there beforehand, if you have them and if you place there more files/other files, then the system will not complain, it will only ignor anything it does not need just at the moment ... so you can put there all "distfiles" you have and hope, it will be sufficient)
You can also use "emerge -f prog1 prog2 ...." to fetch all files and scribe down, what you have to get from somewhere (maybe with -p for pretend, so it will not complain, that it has no internet and only write what it want ...)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: