View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Can't run Xorg - unknown type 0xffffffff Reply with quote

I am following along with the X server configuration howto. When I run 'Xorg -configure' I get this error:

(EE) I810(0): unknown type(0xffffffff)=0xff

However it still writes out the xorg.conf.new. When I then try to run 'X -config /root/xorg.conf.new' I get these errors:

(EE) I810(0): unknown type(0xffffffff)=0xff
(EE) I810(0): VBE initialization failed.
(EE) I810(0): Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Thanks,
joe
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess, but it appears that X doesn't like your video card! (based on the (EE) I810 stuff) First, are you sure you selected the right video driver configurations when you created your kernel? If so, did you build the module into the kernel? Or did you compile it as a module and not install it?

We (I anyway) need more information to even point you in the right direction. What video card/onboard video do you have? What does does "video_cards=" in your USE flags say? What does your xorg.conf look like? :?:
z_kill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also suffering through this one Xorg no longer starts and having an awful time sorting it out. I plan to try reverting to a basic vga driver tonight until it gets fixed (at least I suspect it's a bug...) see this thread...

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-x@lists.debian.org/msg54663.html
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

z_kill, if you're having the problem described in that thread, it seems to me the fix is to remove the proprietary ATI drivers and just use the Xorg ATI drivers. I don't know for sure, but you may have to remove both drivers (if you have both installed) to make sure you get rid of all instances of 'I915_dri.so' and re-install the Xorg drivers to make sure X is linked to the right one.

As an aside, I have two laptops with ATI graphics, an old Sony Vaio with a Mach64 chipset and a newer Compaq with an x600 chipset. I just have no good luck with the drivers. It took (comparatively) a long time to get the Mach64 graphics to work right and, although the setup for the x600 wasn't too bad with the ATI drivers, I couldn't get them to work with beryl. So I'm using the Xorg drivers there too. My desktop boxes all have nVidia cards - much easier to deal with in my experience!

Good Luck!
joetoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpshak,

What's strange is that I had X (twm) working on this machine at one point, but I reinstalled Gentoo because something got hosed when I tried to install Gnome. Both times I installed I used the same methods, genkernel for building the kernel. So I'm not sure if I built the module into the kernel or just compiled it. How would I check? Dumb question, but I need to install X before Gnome right?

It is a P4 machine with integrated Intel video controller, 865G chipset. I used VIDEO_CARDS="i810" in make.conf. At this point I'm out of things to try. Should I try reinstalling again maybe? Also, I'm not sure how to post xorg.conf or my error log, since that is on the other machine.

Thanks,
joe
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I reinstalled Gentoo because something got hosed when I tried to install...
Been there, done that more times than I want to remember!!!! 8O
Believe me, it gets easier over time :D

Let me fire up my laptop here and see what I can see...

lsmod, at the command prompt will tell you what modules are in use but not compiled into the kernel.
For example here: (before X started - edited for brevity)

Code:
Truck ~ # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
intel_agp              19484  1
agpgart                23624  2 drm,intel_agp

After X started:
Code:
radeon                103328  3
drm                    63128  4 radeon
intel_agp              19484  1
agpgart                23624  2 drm,intel_agp

One way that I check to see if I've compiled the modules into the kernel is to check '/proc/config.gz'. For example:
Code:
Truck proc # zgrep 'INTEL' /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_X86_INTEL_USERCOPY=y
# CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_INTEL is not set
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=m
# CONFIG_FB_INTEL is not set
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL is not set
CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0=y
# CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0M is not set

Using genkernal, I don't know if /proc/config.gz is available to you - I build the kernel manually. The items above ending in 'y' mean the module is built in, those ending in 'm' mean that the modules are compiled, but NOT built in, and the rest is pretty obvious. If /proc/config.gz isn't available to you, somebody else will have to answer that. (I'm STILL learning :) ). Yes, X has to be installed for Gnome to work. But if you try to install Gnome without first installing X, Gnome should automagically install X because it is required for Gnome to work.

I really have to pay more attention here :oops: , I was all set to describe my ATI setup to help you out - when it dawned on my YOU don't have ATI graphics (but z_kill does)
Quote:
VIDEO_CARDS="i810"
. If you have that set in your make.conf, during the installation of X it should pull in 'xf86-video-i180' and install it. You can check to see if this has been installed by 'emerge -pv xf86-video-i810'. In my case:
Code:
Truck linux # emerge -pv xf86-video-ati

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.6.3  USE="dri -debug" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
That 'R' means it's already installed and would be rebuilt if you decided to install it.

Now that I have you and z_kill straight, I can't help you as far as the i810 specific settings 'cause I have no experience with it. nVidia or ATI, I may be able to help.

Does the machine in question also have NT4 or better on it? If so, you could install a utility from here:http://www.fs-driver.org/ that will give you the ability to read(and write) to your Linux ext2/3 partitions from Windows. This would allow you to post your xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log here from that Windows install. That stuff will definitely make it easier for others to help you!

Good luck to you and KEEP TRYING - it will get better!

EDIT: Oops, just thought of something else. As far as I know, the video drivers are alway built as modules and thus need to be installed when needed. The module may be added to /etc/modules.autoload.d/(your kernel here) to load at start-up, they may be added by the autoload modules option from kernel configuration, and lastly, X should load the appropriate module if it isn't already loaded.
Code:
find /lib/modules/your kernel here/(ie 2.6.19-gentoo-r4) -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko'
Will also show a listing of available modules. You may be able to see if the appropriate video driver is available there.
hard2hack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpshak wrote:

One way that I check to see if I've compiled the modules into the kernel is to check '/proc/config.gz'. For example:
Code:
Truck proc # zgrep 'INTEL' /proc/config.gz
# CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_INTEL is not set
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=m
# CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL is not set
CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0=y
# CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0M is not set

i used genkernel, and i can see something:

Code:

zgrep 'INTEL' /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_INTEL_COMBINED=y
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_INTEL=y

i haven't CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=m, and, as i understood browsing varius forums, i need it...

at the moment the only way i manage to run X is with fluxbox, and i have to use vga driver with depth=8 and is an horrible seeing..
what i have to do? re-compile the kernel?? and with wich parameters??
thank you
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh lord, here comes somebody else to confuse me! :?

Okay, hard2hack, when configuring your kernel manually, you would go to <Device Drivers> -> <Character devices> -> and select '/dev/agpgart (AGP Support)' to turn on agp support. Below that, you would select your motherboard specific chipset to provide the specific agp support. My Compaq has an Intel 915 series chipset, with an ATI x600 PCIe graphics adapter. So I would set '/dev/agpgart' and 'Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx and E7x05' as modules and this is what you would see when you look at /proc/config.gz for that specific setup.
Code:
Truck ~ # zgrep 'AGP' /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_AGP=m
# CONFIG_AGP_ALI is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_ATI is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_AMD is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_AMD64 is not set
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=m
# CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_VIA is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_EFFICEON is not set

This is the setting from this computer: an Abit AN8-SLI board with nVidia nforce4 chipset and nVidia graphics adapter
Code:
CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=y
# CONFIG_AGP_INTEL is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_VIA is not set

As far as configuring that INTEL_AGP with genkernel I don't know. My understanding of genkernel is that it looks at your hardware and configures the kernel based on what it discovers - which in your case may not be quite right. It would seem to me that you should be able to "explode" config.gz to use as a basis for a manually configured kernel. But, again, I don't know and I hate to steer you in the wrong direction and have you get REALLY screwed up! :)

Manually configuring your kernel isn't that difficult. It does require a knowledge of the hardware components that make up your computer (lspci is a big help there). Pay attention to those areas that the Handbook points out under manually configuring the kernel, and finally, most of the items in menuconfig have some help available that can point you in the right direction. Once you do get a working kernel, you can experiment with different settings to see what effect they have.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO KEEP A WORKING KERNEL ON YOUR BOOT PARTITION!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!:
This way if you do mess up the configuration, you have a fall back kernel to restart in and undo the mistakes!
abhidg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also got the same problem on a friend's laptop (lenovo 3000 N100). It has a i915 display driver, and when starting it gives the same thing "unknown type(0xffffffff)=0xff" and X stops. (/dev/agpgart and intel i915 drivers are compiled)

Does anyone know of a solution?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: